SOLD Items
CDVís/Carte de Vistas
John A. Spofford - Bugler - 19 Massachusetts Infantry and 45 Massachusetts Infantry CDV

A great photograph of bugler John A. Spofford of the 19th Massachusetts Infantry and the 45th Massachusetts Infantry. †This photo is from his days in the 19th Massachusetts Infantry as noted by the "19" in the infantry horn on his hat. †His trowsers are bloused and it looks like he is wearing camp shoes! †There is no backmark.

John A. Spofford

Residence South Reading MA; a 34 year-old Pattern Maker.

Enlisted on 8/31/1861 as a Band Master.

On 8/31/1861 he mustered into Band MA 19th Infantry 
He was discharged on 11/22/1861 at Camp Benton, Poolesville, MD

On 10/7/1862 he mustered into "I" Co. MA 45th Infantry 
He was Mustered Out on 7/7/1863 at Readville, MA

Other Information:
born in Dracut, MA
Member of GAR Post # 40 (General H. G. Berry) in Malden, MA
died 2/10/1898

Sources used by Historical Data Systems, Inc.:
THREE YEARS (Re-enlisted)
     The 19th Regt. Mass. Vol. Inf. was organized at Camp 
Schouler, Lynnfield, having for its nucleus the 1st Battalion
Rifles.  The rest of the regiment came from Boston and
vicinity.  By Aug. 28, 1861, the entire regiment had been
mustered into the service with Col. Edward W. Hinks as its
commander, and on that day it was forwarded to Washington,
arriving Aug. 30.  Assigned to Gen. Lander's Brigade, Gen. 
Stone's Corps of Observation, it picketed the Potomac during
the fall of 1861, advancing to Harrison's Island October 21 and
covering the retreat of the troops from Ball's Bluff.  The
winter of 1861-62 was spent at Muddy Branch guarding the
Potomac in front of Darnestown and Rockville.

     In March, 1862, the regiment, now in Dana's Brigade,
Sedgwick's Division, was sent to the Shenandoah, but shortly
afterward the entire division was ordered to the Peninsula
where it arrived Mar. 30, and was attached to Sumner's (2d)
Corps.  It took part in the siege of Yorktown in April and was
engaged at Fair Oaks, June 25. At Glendale or Nelson's Farm,
June 30, it lost 145 officers and men of whom 33, including
Major Howe, were killed or mortally wounded.

     Returning from Harrison's Landing to Alexandria the last
of August, early in September it joined in the advance toward
Frederick, Md.  It arrived at South Mountain on the 14th just
after the battle was done.  At Antietam, Sept. 17, it was
heavily engaged in the West Wood, suffering severe loss
including Col. Hinks who was badly wounded.  At Fredericksburg,
Dec.11, the 19th was one of the regiments of Hall's Brigade,
Howard's Division,  Couch's (2d) Corps that crossed the river
in boats under fire and fought their way through the streets of
the city.  Two days later it was in the assault on Marye's
Heights, losing 104 officers and men including 8 color bearers,
23 being killed or mortally wounded.  The winter of 1862-63 was
spent near Falmouth.

     During the Chancellorsville campaign in May, 1863, with 
Gibbon's Division the 19th was left in Fredericksburg in
support of Sedgwick's (6th) Corps and suffered small loss.  At 
Gettysburg, July 2 and 3, it was heavily engaged near the Clump
of Trees capturing four Confederate flags and losing nearly 50
per cent of its numbers.  On October 14 it was engaged at 
Bristoe Station, and again at Robertson's Tavern, November 27,
during the Mine Run expedition.  It spent the winter at Cole's
Hill near Stevensburg.  Here Dec. 20, 160 officers and men re-
enlisted for three years.

     As a part of Webb's Brigade, Gibbon's Division, Hancock's 
(2d) Corps the 19th was in action at the Wilderness, May 6, and
was heavily engaged at Spottsylvania, both in the assault on 
the Bloody Angle, May 12, and in the general assault, May 18.

     At North Anna, Totopotomoy, Cold Harbor, and in front of
Petersburg the regiment was engaged almost continuously until
June 22, when the 2d Corps was outflanked near the Jerusalem
Plank road, where the 19th lost all but 40 of its officers and
men.  These, with a remnant received from the 15th Regt. And
many returned convalescents and recruits preserved the
regimental unit.  In July and August it was present in both
actions near Deep Bottom and at Reams' Station.  On August 30,
98 men whose terms of service had expired were discharged to
date from August 28, 1864. 

     The regiment was on duty in the forts and batteries around
Petersburg until October when it was engaged with loss at
Boydton Road.  About Dec. 12, it was ordered to Fort Emory
where it remained until the spring campaign of 1865 opened.  On
February 5 it was engaged at Hatcher's Run, and in April
participated in the final assault on Petersburg and the pursuit
of Lee's army toward Appomattox.  After the surrender of the
Army of Northern Virginia the regiment, increased by recruits
to 20 officers and 645 enlisted men, marched back to Washington
city, and on June 30 was mustered out at Munson's Hill. 
Returning to Massachusetts, on July 20 it was mustered for the
last time at Readville, and there paid off and discharged. 

Source:  Massachusetts Soldiers, Sailors & Marines in the Civil War

     The 45th Regt. Mass. Vol. Mill, or Cadet Regiment, was one 
of the new militia regiments raised in response to the call of 
Aug. 4, 1862, for nine months troops.  It received the title by 
which it was commonly known because of the fact that over forty 
of the commissioned officers of the regiment were former 
members of the Boston Cadets.  Its commander, Col. Charles R. 
Codman, had served as Captain and Adjutant of the Boston Cadets 
during their period of service at Fort Warren in the early 
summer of 1862.

     Organized at Camp Meigs, Readville, in the early fall of 
1862, the first eight companies of the 45th were mustered in on 
the 26th day of September, and the other two, "I" and "K", on 
the 7th of October.

     On Nov. 5, the regiment embarked on the steamer 
MISSISSIPPI for Beaufort, N. C., arriving at its destination on 
the 15th.  Transported by rail to Newbern, it was here assigned 
to Amory's Brigade of Foster's Division.  The regimental camp 
was established on the banks of the Trent River near Fort 
Gaston.  Here the 45th remained, following the regular routine 
of camp life, until Dec. 12, when it set out with Gen. Foster's 
expedition to Goldsboro. Only eight companies took part in this 
expedition, Co. "C" having been sent on special duty to 
Morehead City, and Co. "G" to Fort Macon.

     At Kinston, Dec. 14, the regiment had its first taste of 
real war, losing 15 men killed and 43 wounded.  At Whitehall, 
Dec. 16, it was again engaged, losing 4 killed and 16 wounded. 
At Goldsboro on the 17th the 45th was not in action, and on the 
following day it began its return march to Newbern, arriving at 
its former camp Dec. 21.

     On January 17, 1863, the 45th started on a reconnaissance 
to Trenton, returning on the 22d.  From Jan. 26 to April 25 it 
served as provost guard in the city of Newbern.  During this 
period, on March 14, occurred the Confederate attack on 
Newbern, of which the 45th was an interested spectator but was 
not called into action.

     On April 27 it started with Amory's Brigade on an 
expedition to Core Creek on the railroad toward Goldsboro.  On 
the following day it was sharply engaged, taking a Confederate 
work which crossed the railroad near its intersection with the 
Dover Road, and losing one man killed and four wounded.

     This expedition being ended, the regiment returned to its 
last camp, near Fort Spinola, just below Newbern, on the Trent.
Here it remained until June 24, when it proceeded to Morehead 
City, a suburb of Beaufort, N. C., and there took transports 
for Boston.

     Arriving at its destination June 30, the regiment was 
formally welcomed, then proceeded to its old camp at Readville 
where it remained until its muster out of the service July 8.

Source:  Massachusetts Soldiers, Sailors & Marines in the Civil War

Captain David Van Buskirk, 27th Indiana Infantry CDV - POW

A nice full standing image of Captain David Van Buskirk of Company F†,27th Indiana Infantry.† Van Buskirk was commisioned 2nd Lieuteneat in August 1861.† He was promoted to 1st Lieutenant in July 1862 and Captain in September 1862.† He was captured at Winchester on May 24, 1862 and was exchanged for Charles M. Harper, 8th Georgia Infantry on September 21, 1862.† He was considered the "Tallest" man in the Union Army measuring 6' 10 1/2 " tall and weighing approximately 300 pounds.† He resigned in April 1864.
Twenty-seventh Infantry INDIANA
(3 years)

Twenty-seventh Infantry.  Col., Silas Colgrove; Lieut.-Cols. 
Archibald T. Harrison, Abisha L. Morrison, John R. Fesler; 
Majs., John Mehringer, William S. Johnson, George W. Burge, 
Theodore F. Colgrove

This regiment was organized at Indianapolis in Aug. 1861, and 
was mustered in Sept. 12.  It left the state Sept. 15, for 
Washington City where it was transferred to Banks' Army of the 
Shenandoah in October.

It was in winter quarters near Frederick City, Md., and joined 
the movement in Shenandoah Valley in March, 1862, marching 
into Winchester on the 9th and after the battle of March 22-
23, joined in pursuit of Jackson's army.  It was in the 
battles of Front Royal and Winchester in May, holding back a 
vastly superior force for nearly 4 hours, after which it fell 
back with the army and engaged the enemy in the public 

It became part of Banks' division of Pope's Army of Virginia 
at Culpeper Court House and with that command participated in 
the battle of Cedar Mountain.  It then took part in the 
Maryland campaign and was actively engaged at Antietam, where 
it lost heavily.  It was then placed on picket duty, on the 
east bank of the Potomac, from Harper's Ferry to the mouth of 
Opequan creek, and during the winter moved to the vicinity of 
Fairfax Station, where it remained until spring.

It participated in the battle of Chancellorsville, losing 
heavily, and in pursuit of Lee's invading army marched with 
the 12th corps through Maryland into Pennsylvania, reaching 
Gettysburg in time to take a prominent part in that battle, 
and in the resistance to Pickett's charge on July 3, suffering 
heavy loss.

It then joined in the pursuit of the retreating army to the 
Potomac.  In September it was transferred to the West with the 
12th corps and was stationed at Tullahoma, Tenn., during the 
fall and winter.

A portion of the regiment reenlisted on Jan. 24, 1864, and 
after their return from furlough, it joined Sherman in 
Georgia, participating in the battle of Resaca, where, on an 
open field, it defeated the 32nd and 38th Ala., inflicting 
heavy loss and taking the battle flag, colonel and 100 
prisoners of the 38th.  Its own loss was 68 killed and 

It participated in all the marching and skirmishing, battles and 
assaults of the army in the Atlanta campaign, moving to the city 
at its conclusion.  The non-veterans were mustered out Nov. 4, 
1864, the veterans and remaining recruits being transferred to 
the 70th regiment, and serving with it through the campaign to 
Savannah and up through the Carolinas.

On the muster-out of the regiment they were transferred to the 
33rd, with which they served until its muster out at 
Louisville, July 21, 1865.  The original strength was 1,052; 
gain by recruits, 116; reenlistments, 154; total, 1,322.  Loss 
by death, 275; desertion, 47; unaccounted for, 52.

Source: The Union Army, vol. 3

Capt. Otis Baker, 10 Mississippi Infantry CDV


A full standing armed view of Captain Otis Baker of the 10th Mississippi Infantry. †The image shows a 7/8s view of a standing Baker in his †captain's coat and armed with a presentation type sword. †Unfortunately the photographic artist colored the belt buckle. †The back mark on the image is "Gurney's Photograph and Fine Art Gallery, Natchez.".

Unidentified Confederate 1st Lieutenant CDV with Petersburg, VA Backmark


A nice bust photograph of a Confederate 1st Lieutenant. †The image has a "J.R. Rockwell, Photographic Artist, No. 13 1/2 Sycamore St., Petersburg, VA." backmark. †

Major General Robert F. Hoke CDV


A hard to find image of Major General Robert F. Hoke. †Robert F. Hoke was born in Lincolnton, North Carolina on May 27, 1837. His father, a lawyer, businessman, and aspiring politician, died when young Robert was seven years old. He first attended Lincolnton Academy, and in 1854 he graduated from the Kentucky Military Institute. He returned home and took over management of a number of the family's businesses, including a cotton mill and an iron works.

When North Carolina seceded, Hoke enlisted in Company K, 1st North Carolina Infantry and was commissioned second lieutenant. Shortly thereafter, he was promoted to captain and, eventually, major. In January 1862, he was appointed lieutenant colonel of the 33rd North Carolina and was cited for gallantry at the Battle of New Bern in March. Following the battle, he was promoted to colonel and commanded the 33rd at the Second Battle of Manassas and the Battle of Antietam.

Following the Maryland Campaign, Hoke was assigned to command the 21st Virginia, and he subsequently commanded a brigade at the Battle of Fredericksburg in December 1862. He was promoted to brigadier general on January 17, 1863, but was severely wounded at the Battle of Chancellorsville in May and was sent home to recuperate.

Hoke resumed command in January 1864 and found himself back in North Carolina. After a failed attempt to recapture New Bern in late January and early February, Hoke led a successful attack on the Union garrison at Plymouth, North Carolina on April 17, capturing over 2,000 Federal troops. He was promoted to major general only a few days later and was given command of an army division. He served with distinction at the Battle of Cold Harbor in June 1864.

By the end of 1864, Hoke found himself back in his home state. During the Second Battle of Fort Fisher (January 13-15, 1865), Hoke's men formed a defensive line to the rear of the attacking Federal forces and awaited orders from Gen. Braxton Bragg to attack. Those orders never came, and Fort Fisher fell. Hoke's troops were involved in the defense of the Cape Fear region in January and February 1865, but evacuated Wilmington on orders from General Bragg. Hoke's Division moved to Lenoir County and fought in the Battle of Wyse Fork (March 8-10, 1865) in an effort to check Federal forces under Gen. Jacob D. Cox, who were marching west from New Bern to unite with Gen. William T. Sherman. After evacuating Kinston, Hoke's men retreated to the west and joined with Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's forces from the Army of Tennessee. The whole army was engaged at the largest land battle fought in North Carolina, the Battle of Bentonville (March 19-21, 1865). Hoke stayed with Johnston's army until its surrender in late April at the Bennett farm near Durham.

Hoke was paroled on May 1, 1865 and received a pardon from the Federal government on June 14. He returned to his home and his business interests after the war. He was involved in insurance, gold mining, and owned several iron mines. He also owned a resort and a bottled water company. On January 7, 1869, he married Lydia Van Wyck, who was from a powerful New York City political family. The couple had six children. Hoke died on July 3, 1912 and was buried in Raleigh. Before his death, Hoke County was named in his honor.

There is no back mark on the image. †The image has been trimmed and part of the card is missing some of the trim.

Lt. Colonel Edward F.W. Ellis - 15 Illinois Infantry - KIA Shiloh - CDV

hard to find KIA image of a hard to find fighting regiment!† This image is of Lieutenant Colonel Edward F.W. Ellis of the 15th Illinois Infantry.† Ellis enlisted as Lt. Colonel of the 15th Illinois Infantry in May 1861.† He was killed at the Hornet's Nest on April 6, 1862 at the battle of Shiloh, Tennessee.† Written on the back of the image in period ink is "Compliments of Mrs. E.F.W. Ellis to Moses† S. Barlow".† Barlow was in Company K, 15th Illinois Infantry.† Obviously Barlos and Mrs. Ellis had correspondence after Lt. Colonel Ellis died and she presented this image to Barlow.†
15th Illinois Infantry
The Regiment was organized at Freeport, Illinois, and mustered into the United States service on the 24th day of May 1861, being one of the first regiments from the State sworn into the United States service, for the three years service. After electing officers, organizing and drilling for some time, the Regiment proceeded to Alton, Illinois, remaining there six weeks for instruction.
In July the Regiment left Alton by steamboat for St. Charles, Missouri, thence by rail to Mexico, Missouri, where it remained for a time in company with the Twenty-first Illinois Infantry, commanded by Colonel U.S. Grant. A part of the Regiment marched from Mexico to Fulton, and thence to the Missouri river, and thence by steamer to Jefferson Barracks; the other part of the Regiment marched to Hannibal, Mo., and thence by steamer to Jefferson Barracks. The Regiment then moved by rail to Rolla, Mo., where it arrived in time to cover General Sigel's retreat from Wilson's Creek. After building one or two forts, the Regiment was ordered to Tipton, Mo., and thence became attached to General Fremont's army, and marched under General Hunter to Springfield, Mo.; after remaining there a short time, the Regiment returned to Tipton, then went to Sedalia. It assisted in the capture of 1,300 rebels a few miles from the latter place. The Regiment then marched to Otterville, Mo., and went into winter quarters December 26, 1861. The winter was cold and the snow deep, and the first winter's experience in tents was a severe one.

February 1, 1862, the regiment marched to Jefferson City, thence by rail to St. Louis, where it embarked on transports for Fort Donelson, and arrived to take part in the surrender. The Regiment was then assigned to General S. A. Hurlbut's "Fighting Fourth Division", and marched to Fort Henry, then went by boat to Pittsburg Landing, being one of the first regiments that landed on that historic battle ground. At the battle of Shiloh, on the 6th of April, the Regiment was in the first line of battle, formed by Hurlbut's Division, and was in the Brigade commanded by General C. Veatch. Hardly had the Brigade taken positions when a Confederate column, massed three lines deep, deployed from the woods on the left and front, and with rebel yell that echoed through the surrounding forest, charged on in double quick. The Fifteenth was flanked by the Fifty-third Ohio, on the right. At the first fire of the enemy the Buckeyes broke and ran, and the enemy were not only in front of the Fifteenth Regiment, but on both flanks in a very short time. For more than one hour the Regiment held its position, and fought as gallantly as any troops could fight in the terrible struggle, called by the Confederates the "Hornet's Nest", and disputed inch by inch the advance and the incessant attacks of the best troops in the Confederate service. Owing to the want of support, the Regiment was compelled to withdraw and take up a new position. In five minutes after the Regiment formed its first line, the field officers, Lieutenant Colonel E. F. W. Ellis and Major Wm. R. Goddard, Captains Holden Brownell and Harley Wayne, and Lieutenant John W. Peterbaugh were killed, and Captain Adam Nase lost a leg and was taken prisoner. Captain Thos. J. Turner was absent, and the command of the Regiment devolved upon Captains L. D. Kelley and George C. Rogers, assisted by Adjutant Charles F. Barber. As soon as a new line was formed the Fourteenth Illinois on the left of the Fifteenth, when the enemy had approached sufficiently near, these two Regiments, acting as one man, rose and delivered a rapid, well aimed and awfully destructive fire, full into the massed ranks of the enemy. The enemy was soon convinced this was not the way to the landing. At the second attack these two Regiments received the first shock, and for three hours were in that awful gap, without giving ground, where the Confederates sacrificed more than two thousand as brave men as ever trod the battle-field, in the unavailing effort to drive them from their position. This baptism of blood cemented the two Regiments, and they were always afterwards brigaded and served together during the remainder of the war, and discharged at the same time and place. The Fifteenth was in the hottest of the fight both days of the bloody battle, and not a man faltered in his duty or failed to perform all that was required of him. The two Regiments that were in the final charge on the 7th, led by General Grant in person, were the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Illinois, the Fourteenth commanded by Colonel Hall, and the Fifteenth by Captain George C. Rogers. This detachment moved forward, and when within range delivered their fire, and with fixed bayonets charged at double quick. The raking fire, however, had done its work. The Confederate army had fled. The Fifteenth Regiment lost in this engagement 250 men, killed and wounded, and there are more of the "known dead" of this Regiment buried in the National Cemetery at Pittsburg Landing, than of any other Regiment, and many died of wounds in hospitals at home.

Captain George C. Rogers was promoted Lieutenant Colonel by Governor Yates for meritorious conduct on the battle-field of Shiloh, and took command of the Regiment. The Regiment participated in the siege of Corinth, Miss., losing a number of men killed and wounded.

After the evacuation of Corinth the Regiment marched to Grand Junction, thence to Holly Springs, then back to Grand Junction, thence to Lagrange, thence to Memphis, arriving there July 21st, 1862, where it remained till September 6th. After recruiting, drilling, procuring new uniforms and "seeing the sights", the Regiment marched to Boliver, Tenn., and from there the 4th Division was ordered by General Grant to "relieve Rosecrans at Corinth or perish". At the Hatchie river on the morning of October 4th, 1862, the division met the enemy on Matamora Hill; the 15th Regiment was on the extreme left and forced the enemy from their position, and in connection with other troops, charged the enemy, routing and scattering their formation in the wildest confusion, and driving them to the river bank, the 15th capturing one four-gun battery and about three hundred men at this point; many jumped into the river and were drowned. The 15th charged across the Hatchie bridge on a run, and formed the first line on the left of the road; the 14th formed on the right of the 15th. The two regiments charged the enemy in the timber, driving them from their strong position, capturing another battery crowning the crest of the hill, and soon the enemy was in full flight, looking for a new place to retreat across the Hatchie. Torn and bleeding, the 15th laid on the ground that night, covered with new and everlasting honors. The 15th was commanded on that day by Lieutenant Colonel G.C. Rogers, and lost over fifty men in killed and wounded. The Regiment then returned to Bolivar, from thence to Lagrange, thence with General Grant down through Mississippi to Coffeeville, returning to Lagrange and Memphis; thence to Vicksburg, taking an active part in all the movements during the siege of that place, losing many in killed and wounded. After the surrender of Vicksburg, marched with Sherman to Jackson, Miss., then returned to Vicksburg and embarked on a boat for Natchez, marched thence to Kingston, returned to Natchez, then to Harrisonburg, La., capturing Fort Beauregard on the Wachita river; returned to Natchez, remained there until November 10th, 1863, then proceeded by boat to Vicksburg, and went into winter quarters. Here the Regiment re-enlisted as veterans, remaining until February 1st, 1864, when it moved with General Sherman through Mississippi. On Champion Hills had a severe engagement with a body of rebels, charged them several times during the day, and each time drove them from their positions. Marched to Meridian and Enterprise and assisted in destroying about fifty miles of railroad; thence back to Vicksburg.

In March 1864, went home on Veteran furlough. On expiration of furlough joined Seventeenth Army Corps, and proceeded up Tennessee river to Clifton, thence to Huntsville, Ala.; thence to Decatur and Rome, Ga., thence to Kingston, and joined General Shermanís army, moving on Atlanta. At Allatoona Pass the 15th Regiment was, with the other regiments belonging to the 2d Brigade, 4th Division, 17th Corps, commanded by Colonel Geo. C. Rogers, ordered to fortify that place. The forts at Allatoona, where General Corse, with 2,100 men, defeated Hoodís whole army, were built by this brigade. Here the 15th and 14th Infantry were consolidated, and the gallant and brave McPherson knowing the honorable record of these regiments, and that neither might lose its identity, acceded to the request of Colonel Rogers, and had the organization made and known as "The Veteran Battalion Fourteenth and Fifteenth Infantry Volunteers". The organization numbers 625 men. The organization was stationed at Ackworth, Big Shanty and Marietta for some time. The rebel General Hood struck the organization at Big Shanty and Ackworth, when he moved north, capturing quite a number of the command. The remainder fell back, some to Allatoona, and fought under Gen. Corse, where many were killed and wounded; the balance fell back to Marietta, and were mounted and acted as scouts for General Vandever. They were afterwards transferred to General F.P. Blair, and marched with General Sherman to the sea.

After the capture of Savannah, the Regiment proceed to Beaufort, S.C.; thence to Salkahatchie river, participating in the various skirmishes in that vicinity-Columbia, S.C., Fayetteville, N.C., battle of Bentonville-losing a number wounded; thence to Goldsboro and Raleigh. At Raleigh recruits sufficient to fill up both regiments were received, and the organization of the Veteran Battalion discontinued, and the Fifteenth reorganized. The campaign of General Sherman ended by the surrender of General Johnston. The Regiment then marched with the army to Washington,

D.C., via Richmond and Fredericksburg, and participated in the grand review at Washington, May 24th, 1865; remained there two weeks. Proceeded by rail and steamboat to Louisville, Ky.; remained at Louisville two weeks. The regiment was then detached from the 4th Division, 17th Army Corps, and proceeded by steamer to St. Louis; from thence to Fort Leavenworth, Kas., arriving there July 1st, 1865. Joined the army serving on the plains. Arrived at Fort Kearney August 14th; then ordered to return to Fort Leavenworth, September 1st, 1865, where the Regiment was mustered out of service and placed en-route for Springfield, Ill., for final payment and discharge-having served four years and four months.
Number of miles marched			4,299
Number of miles by rail 		2,403
Number of miles by steamer 		4,310
Number of men joined from organization	1,963
Number of men at date of muster-out 	  640

Histories of Illinois Civil War Regiments and Units

Captain Edwin Lyon - 134 & 13 Pennsylvania Infantry & 21 VRC - WIA _ CDV

A nice signed image of Captain Edwin Lyon.† Lyon mustered into the 13th Pennsylvania Infantry in April 1861.† He served with this 90 day regiment and mustered out in August 1861.† In August 1862 he was commisioned Captain of Company K, 134th Pennsylvania Infantry.† He was wounded December 13, 1862 at Fredericksburg.† A musket ball passed through his lung.† He was discharged in March 1863.† In May 1864 he was made 1st Lieutenant of the 21st Veteran Reserve Corp, and was still with the 21st VRC as of November 1865.This image is of Lyon as a lieutenant in the 21st VRC.† He signed the image in period ink on the bottom of the image and has "? Lt 21 VRC" written on the bottom of the image.† The backmark is "Good & Stokes, Photographers, No. 27 East State and 36 Green Street, Trenton, N.J.".

134th Regiment

Pennsylvania Volunteers

This regiment was recruited in compliance with a call for troops to serve, for nine months, issued by Governor Curtin, in July, 1862. Companies were recruited as follows:
  • Company A - Lawrence County
  • Company B - Lawrence County
  • Company C - Butler County
  • Company D - Lawrence County
  • Company E - Beaver County
  • Company F - Butler County
  • Company G - Butler County
  • Company H - Lawrence County
  • Company I - Beaver County
  • Company K - Butler County
The companies rendezvoused at Camp Curtin, where they were mustered into service, and armed and equipped for duty.

The advance of the enemy towards Washington, in the second Bull Run campaign, created consternation at the seat of government, and loud calls for troops were made. This regiment was consequently ordered away before its organization was completed, and departed for Washington on the 20th of August, under command of Captain James M'Cune. On the day following its arrival at the Capital, it was sent to Arlington Heights, where it was attached to a provisional corps, commanded by General Casey.

While here the regimental organization was completed, with the following field officers, their commissions bearing date of August 20th:

Matthew S. Quay, of Beaver county, Colonel Edward O'Brien, of Lawrence county, Lieutenlat Colonel John M. Thompson, of Butler county, Major.
With the exception of a, small number who had served in the Mexican War, and in the three months' service, officers and men were without military experience. While at Arlington Heights, the regiment was engaged in drill and fatigue duty, and was brigaded with the Ninety-first, One Hundred and Twenty-sixth, and One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Pennsylvania regiments, the brigade commanded by General E. B. Tyler.

On the 30th the regiment marched out towards the Bull Run battleground, but did not arrive in time to participate in the fight, and upon its return was put into the defenses. On the 13th of September it moved from camp, and proceeding to Washington, started on the following day towards South Mountain, in Maryland, where the enemy had made his appearance.

At the Monocacy the command halted, and remained until the evening of the 17th, when it was put upon the march, and on the, morning of the 18th, after a fatiguing night march, arrived on the battle-field of Antietam. But the fighting had now substantially ended, though a renewal of the contest was momentarily expected, the men standing to arms the whole day. During, the succeeding night, the enemy withdrew into Virginia. Until the 30th of October, the regiment lay in camp near the battle-field, where it was engaged in a drill.

While here, Colonel Quay was stricken down with typhoid fever, and the command devolved on Lieutenant Colonel O'Brien. Upon the return of the army into Virginia, the regiment moved by easy marches until it reached the neighborhood of Fredericksburg, where, on the 22d of November, it went into camp.

Early in December, Colonel Quay returned to duty, but so much reduced by disease that he soon after resigned, and Lieutenant Colonel O'Brien was commissioned Colonel, Major Thompson, Lieutenant Colonel, and Captain William H. Shaw, Major.

Battle of Fredericksburg

The movement of the brigade for the battle of Fredericksburg commenced on the 12th, the battle opening on the 13th. Humphreys' Division of the Fifth Corps, to which Tyler's Brigade belonged, was held in reserve on the north bank of the Rappahannock, until near the middle of the afternoon, when it was ordered across, and advanced to the onset. In the formation of the brigade for storming the heights, in the last grand struggle of the day, the One Hundred and Thirty-fourth had the post of honor in the brigade, the right of the first line.
"As soon as the formation was complete," says General Tyler in his official report, "' the order to sound the charge was given, the caution having been previously communicated to the command not to fire a gun until orders were received from me. The brigade moved forward in as good order as the muddy condition of the ground on the left of my line would admit, until we came upon a body of officers and men lying flat upon the ground, in front of the brick house, and along the slight elevation on its right and left. Upon our approach, these officers commanded 'Halt!' flourishing their swords as they lay, while a number of their men endeavored to intimidate our troops, crying out that they would be slaughtered, and the like. An effort was made to get them out of the way, but failed, and we marched over them, and when we were within a very short distance of the enemy's line, a fire was opened on our rear, which wounded a few of our most valuable officers, and, I regret to say, killed some of our men. Instantly the cry ran along the line that we were being fired into from the rear. The command halted, receiving at the same time a terrible fire from the enemy. Orders for the moment were forgotten, and a fire from our whole line was immediately returned. Another cry passed along the line, that we were being fired upon from the rear, when our men, after giving the enemy several volleys, fell back."

In speaking of the conduct of Colonel 0'Brien in this charge, General Humphreys, who commanded the division, said: "Under my own eye he rode in front of his regiment, and literally led it in the last charge on the stone-wall, at Fredericksburg, just before dark on December 13th."

In the brief space in which the regiment was in the conflict, it lost fourteen killed, one hundred and six wounded, and nineteen missing, many of the latter known to be wounded. Lieutenants Hugh Barnes, and Zarah C. Quillen, were among the killed, and Adjutant Alfred G. Beed, mortally wounded. Captains Lyon, Breckenridge, Hague, and M'Cready, and Lieutenants St. Clair, White, Brown, and Millinger, were among the wounded. Major Thompson had his horse shot under him, and was himself wounded. Colonel Quay, though in a feeble state of health, unwilling that the regiment should go into battle without him, volunteered as an aide on the staff of General Tyler, and served throughout the battle. General Tyler bears this testimony of his services in his official report:
"Colonel M. S. Quay, late of the One Hundred and Thirty-fourth, was upon my staff as volunteer aid-de-camp, and to him I am greatly indebted. Notwithstanding his enfeebled health, he was in the saddle early and late, ever prompt and efficient, and especially so during the engagement."
During the day of the 14th, the regiment lay in the streets of Fredericksburg, with considerable skirmishing and artillery firing, but no general movement. At midnight of the 15th, it re-crossed the river and returned to camp.

Unwilling to rest content with defeat, General Burnside inaugurated a new campaign on the 20th of January, which was ingloriously cut short by inclenment weather, and the sudden deepening of the mud, rendering the movement of artillery and trains next to impossible.

The advent of General Hooker to the head of the army, soon afterwards, marked a new era in discipline, by which the morale and health of the troops were vastly improved.

13th PA Regiment Organization, Service & Battles

  • Organized at Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, and mustered in April 25, 1861.
  • Moved to York, Pa., April 26, and duty there till June 4.
  • Moved to Chambersburg June 4.
  • Attached to 4th Brigade, 1st Division, Patterson's Army.
    Service & Battles - 1861
  • Moved to Greencastle June 14,
  • thence advance on Williamsport June 15-16.
  • Goose Creek, Edward's Ferry, June 18.
  • At Williamsport till July 4.
  • Escort Rhode Island Battery to Martinsburg.
  • Moved to Bunker Hill July 16, and to Charlestown July 17.
  • To Harper's Ferry July 21.
  • Moved to Harrisburg, Pa., and mustered out August 6, 1861.

Captain Edward A. Chandler - 8 Massachusetts Infantry & 1 Massachusetts Heavy Artillery - CDV

A great full standing, armed image of Captain Edward A. Chandler of the 8th Massachusetts Infantry and the 1st Massachusetts Heavy Artillery.† Chandler was commisioned 1st Lieutenant of Company F, 8th Massachusetts Infantry in April 1861.† He mustered out in August 1861.† He was commisioned Captain of the 1st Massachusetts Heavy Artillery in March 1862.† He was discharged in March 1865.† He was promoted to Bvt. Major on May 20, 1865.† The 8th massachusetts Infantry was one of the early war "Minute Men" units.
The image has Chandler in his full uniform with Hardee hat and holding a sword.† Written in period ink on the bottom of the CDv is "Capt. E.A. Chandler".† The backmark is "R.W. Addis, Photographer, 308 Penna Avenue, Washington, D.C.".†
1st Massachusetts Heavy Artillery Regiment

Unit History

Organized as 14th Massachusetts Infantry July 5, 1861. Designation changed to 1st Heavy Artillery January 1, 1862. Attached to Wadsworth's Command, Military District of Washington, January to May, 1862. Whipple's Brigade, Military District of Washington, to December, 1862. Artillery, District of Alexandria, Defenses of Washington, to February, 1863. Artillery, District of Alexandria, 22nd Army Corps, to April, 1863. 1st Brigade, DeRussy's Division, 22nd Army Corps, to April, 1864. 2nd Brigade, DeRussy's Division, 22nd Army Corps, to May, 1864. 2nd Brigade, Tyler's Heavy Artillery Division, Army of the Potomac, to May, 1864. 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 2nd Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to May, 1865. Defenses of Washington, 22nd Army Corps, to August, 1865. (Cos. "B," "C," "H" and "I" attached to Defenses of Upper Potomac, 8th Army Corps, Middle Department, October, 1862, to March, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 8th Army Corps, Middle Department, to June, 1863. Maryland Brigade, French's Command, 8th Army Corps, to July, 1863. Artillery Reserve, Army of the Potomac, to August, 1863. Unattached, Maryland Heights Division, Dept. of West Virginia, to December, 1863.)

SERVICE.--Garrison duty in the Defenses of Washington at Forts Albany, Runyon, Scott, Richardson, Barnard, Craig and Tillinghast until August 23, 1862, Moved to Cloud's Mills August 23. March to Manassas. Va., August 26-30. Return to Washington and garrison Forts Albany, Craig, Tillinghast, Woodbury and DeKalb, Defenses South of the Potomac until May, 1864. (Cos. "H" and "I" detached September 27, 1862, and moved to Harper's Ferry, W. Va. Co. "C" ordered to Harper's Ferry October 27, 1862. Co. "B" ordered to Harper's Ferry, W. Va., December 23, 1862; garrison duty there until July 1, 1863. Co. "I" moved to Winchester June 10, 1863, and participated in the Battle of Winchester June 13-15, and retreat to Harper's Ferry. Defense of Harper's Ferry June 16-July 1. Evacuation of Harper's Ferry and march to Frederick, Md, July 1-2. Duty with Artillery Reserve, Army of the Potomac, to July 11-22. Moved to Harper's Ferry July 22 and duty there until December 1, when ordered to Washington and rejoin Regiment.) Regiment moved to Join Army of the Potomac at Belle Plain, Va., May 15-16, 1864. Harris Farm, Fredericksburg Road, May 19. Spottsylvania Court House May 19-21. North Anna River May 23-26. Line of the Pamunkey May 26-28. Totopotomoy May 28-31. Cold Harbor June 1-12. Before Petersburg June 16-19. Siege of Petersburg June 16, 1864, to April 2, 1865. Jerusalem Plank Road June 22-23, 1864. Deep Bottom July 27-28. Mine Explosion, Petersburg, July 30 (Reserve). Strawberry Plains August 14-18. Peeble's Farm September 29-October 2. Boydton Plank Road, Hatcher's Run, October 27-28. Expedition to Weldon Railroad December 7-12. Dabney's Mills, Hatcher's Rain, February 5-7, 1865.Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9. Crow's House March 31. Fall of Petersburg April 2. Sailor's Creek April 6. High Bridge, Farmville, April 7. Appomattox Court House April 9. Surrender of Lee and his army. March to Burkesville April 11-13 and duty there until May 2. March to Washington May 2-15. Camp at Bailey's Cross Roads until June 15. Grand Review May 23. Duty at Forts Ethan, Allen and Marcy until June 27. At Forts C. F. Smith and Strong until July 19. and at Fort Bunker Hill until August 17. Mustered out August 16, 1865, and discharged at Gallop's Island, Boston Harbor, August 25, 1865.

Regiment lost during service 9 Officers and 232 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 2 Officers and 241 Enlisted men by disease. Total 484
Eighth Regiment, Three Months

The 8th Regt. Mass. Vol. Mil., "Minute Men," was called to Boston by Special Order No. 14, issued on the afternoon of April 15, 1861, by the Adjutant General of Massachusetts. Having only eight companies, one company was added from the 7th Regt., a Salem unit, and one from Pittsfield, taken from the 1st Battalion of Infantry. Leaving the State April 18, it proceeded to Annapolis, Md., on its way to the national capital. At Annapolis two companies were placed on the frigate CONSTITUTION, guarding her until she was safely removed to the harbor of New York. Another company was detached to do guard duty at Fort McHenry near Baltimore, Md. The remainder of the regiment, after repairing the road-bed from Annapolis to Annapolis Junction and restoring the rolling stock of the railroad, proceeded to Washington, arriving April 26. Not until April 30 were the men mustered into the service of the United States. On May 11 the regiment was ordered into camp at the Relay House, Md. Here Col. Munroe resigned on account of age and ill health, and was succeeded by Col. Edward W. Hinks, an officer destined to attain high rank before the war was done. On July 2d the entire regiment was ordered to Baltimore, Md., the left wing arriving in the morning and the right wing in the evening of the following day. On July 29 it was ordered to Boston, Mass., and here on August 1, 1861, it was mustered out of the service.

Captain William E. Hacker - 3 Maryland Infantry - WIA - CDV

A nice seated view of Captain William E. Hacker of the 3rd Maryland Infantry.† In this image, Hacker is seated with his overcoat and kepi on the table next to him.† You can clearly see the "3" in the infantry horn on his hat.† The backmark on the image is "Photographed by Claflin, 189 Main Street, Worcester."† Hacker was commisioned in May 1862 into Company A of the 3rd Maryland Infantry.† He was wounded September 17, 1862 at Antietam and was promoted to 1st Lieutenant in October, 1862 and Captain in February 1863.† Hacker died of disease on May 6, 1864.
3rd Maryland Infantry
SERVICE.--Duty at Baltimore, Md., until May 24, 1862. Moved to Harper's Ferry, W. Va., May 24. Defense of Harper's Ferry May 28-30. Operations in the Shenandoah Valley until August. Battle of Cedar Mountain August 9. Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia August 16-September 2. Fords of the Rappahannock August 21-23. Sulphur Springs August 24. Plains of Manassas August 28-29 (Reserve). Battle of Bull Run August 30 (Reserve). Maryland Campaign September 6-22. Battle of Antietam, Md., September 16-17. Duty at Bolivar Heights September 22 to December 10. Reconnaissance to Rippen, W. Va., November 9. Expedition to Winchester December 2-6. Moved to Fredericksburg December 10-14. At Stafford's Court House December 14, 1862, to April 27, 1863. "Mud March" January 20-24, 1863. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5. Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 11-July 24. Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3. Pursuit of Lee July 5-24. At Raccoon Ford until September. Moved to Brandy Station, thence to Bealeton and to Stevenson, Ala., September 24-October 4. Guard duty on Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad until April, 1864. Veterans on furlough March and April. Old members participated in Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May 1 to September 8, 1864. Demonstration on Rocky Faced Ridge May 8-11. Battle of Resaca May 14-15. Near Cassville May 19. Advance on Dallas May 22-25. New Hope Church May 25. Battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 26-June 5. Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2. Pine Mountain June 11-14. Lost Mountain June 15-17. Gilgal or Golgotha Church June 15. Muddy Creek June 17. Noyes Creek June 19. Kolb's Farm June 22. Assault on Kenesaw June 27. Ruff's Station, Smyrna Camp Ground, July 4. Chattahoochie River July 5-17. Peach Tree Creek July 19-20. Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25. Operations at Chattahoochie River Bridge August 26-September 2. Occupation of Atlanta September 2. Regiment joined 9th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, April, 1864. Campaign from the Rapidan to the James May 3-June 15. Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7; Spotsylvania May 8-12; Nye River May 10; Spotsylvania Court House May 12-21. Assault on Salient May 12. Ox Ford May 21. North Anna River May 23-26. On line of the Pamunkey May 26-28. Totopotomoy May 28-31. Cold Harbor June 1-12. Bethesda Church June 1-3. Before Petersburg June 16-18. Siege of Petersburg June 16, 1864, to April 2, 1865. Mine Explosion, Petersburg, July 30, 1864. Weldon Railroad August 18-21. Poplar Grove Church September 29-October 2. Boydton Plank Road, Hatcher's Run, October 27-28. Fort Steadman, Petersburg, March 25, 1865. Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9. Assault on and fall of Petersburg April 2. Occupation of Petersburg April 3. March to Farmville April 3-9. Moved to Petersburg and City Point April 20-24, thence to Alexandria April 26-28. Grand Review May 23. Duty in the Dept. of Washington until July. Mustered out July 31, 1865.

Captain George M. Woodward - 44 & 55 Massachusetts Infantry - CDV

A great image from one of the officers of the 55th Massachusetts Infantry.††The 55th Regt. Mass. Vol. Inf. was the second military organization composed of men of African descent to be raised in Massachusetts.† Its nucleus was the men left over from the recruits of the 54th.
George Woodard mustered into the 44th Massachusetts Infantry in August 1862 as a private.† He mustered out in June, 1863 and was mustered into the 55th Massachusetts Infantry as a 1st Lieutenant.† He was promoted to Captain in July 1864.† On November 30, 1864 he was wounded at Honey Hill, South Carolina.† He mustered out on August 29, 1865 at Charleston, South Carolina.† Woodward was born in Worcestor, Massachusetts.† After the war, Woodward was a member of the George H, Ward Post #10, Worcestor, Massachusetts.† He died September 24, 1904.†
The image is of Woodward as a Captain.† Written under the photograph is "Yours Truly Geo. M. Woodward".† The backmark is "Claflin's 229 Photographic Gallery, Main Street, Worcestor, . . Mass.".

General John C. Bowen CDV

A nice CDV of General John S. Bowen. Bowen was born in Savannah, Georgia and graduated from West Point. Before the war he was an architect in St. Louis, Missouri. He was appointed colonel of the 1st Missouri Infantry. He was promoted to brigadier general on March 14, 1862 and major general May 25, 1863. He was wounded at Shiloh and died after the surrender of Vicksburg on July 13, 1863. The backmark on this CDV is "Published by E. & H.T. Anthony, 501 Broadway, New York, from Photographic Negative in BRADY'S National Portrait Gallery". A period ink identification is on the back of the CDV.
Major-General John S. Bowen was born in Georgia in 1829. He was appointed to the United States military academy in 1848 and on graduation was promoted to brevet second-lieutenant, July 1, 1853. Being assigned to the Mounted Rifles, he served at the Carlisle cavalry school, and on the frontier, with promotion to second lieutenant on July 20, 1854. He resigned his commission on the 1st of May, 1856, and became an architect in Savannah, GA, continuing to gratify his military tastes as lieutenant-colonel of Georgia militia. He removed to St. Louis, Mo., in 1857, where he also followed the business of an architect. From 1859 to 1861 he was captain in the Missouri militia. He was adjutant to General Frost during his expedition to the Kansas border in search of Montgomery, a prominent character in the Kansas troubles. When the civil war began he commanded the Second regiment of Frost's brigade. He was acting chief-of-staff to Frost when Camp Jackson was captured by General Lyon. Going to Memphis, Tenn., and into the southeastern part of Missouri, he raised the First Missouri regiment of infantry, of which he was commissioned colonel on June 11, 1861. He was assigned to the army of General Polk at Columbus, Ky., and acted as brigade commander under that officer's command. When in the spring of 1862 Albert Sidney Johnston and Beauregard were concentrating their armies for an attack upon Grant, Bowen, who on March 14h had received his commission as brigadier-general, was assigned to the division of John C. Breckinridge. In the first day's battle at Shiloh he was wounded. General Beauregard, in his official report of the battle thus speaks: "Brig.Gens. B. R. Johnson and Bowen, most meritorious officers, were also severely wounded in the first combat, but it is hoped will soon be able to return to duty with their brigades." When in 1863 Grant crossed the Mississippi and landed at Bruinsburg, General Bowen, though fearfully outnumbered, threw himself in his path and with the utmost courage and determination, resisted his advance. After a patriotic sacrifice he was forced back upon the main army under Pemberton. On the 25th of May he was rewarded for his brave work at Port Gibson by the commission of major-general in the army of the Confederate States. He fought with distinction in the other battles outside of Vicksburg, and in all the fighting and suffering of the long siege he and his men had their full share. At the fall of the city he was paroled, and went to Raymond, Miss., where he died from sickness contracted during the siege, July 16, 1863.

General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson CDV

A nice image from life†of General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson.† Jackson was Genneral Lee's commander to go to when he needed action or something to happen.† Jackson was wounded at Chancellorville and died ten days later.† There is no backmark on the back of this image.

Captain James F. Putnam - 8 Ohio Light Artillery - CDV

A nice full standing image of Captain James F. Putnam of the 8th Ohio Light Artillery.† He mustered into the 8th Ohio Light Artillery in March 1862 and mustered out in August 1865.† During his Civil War career he was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant, 1st Lieutenant, and Captain.† The image has a backmark of "D.P. Barr, Army Photographer, Palace of Art, Vicksburg, Miss.".†
8th Independent Battery Light Artillery. Organized at Camp Dennison, Ohio, and mustered in March 11, 1862. Moved to Benton Barracks, Mo.; thence to Savannah, Tenn., March 22-28, 1862. Served Unattached, Army of the Tennessee, to April, 1862. Artillery, 5th Division, Army of the Tennessee, to April, 1862. Artillery, 3rd Division, Army of the Tennessee, to July, 1862. Artillery, 5th Division, District of Memphis, Tenn., to November, 1862. Artillery, 2nd Division, District of Memphis, Right Wing 13th Army Corps (Old), Dept. of the Tennessee, to December, 1862. Artillery, 2nd Division, Sherman's Yazoo Expedition, to January, 1863. Artillery, 2nd Division, 15th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee, to September, 1863. Artillery, 1st Division, 17th Army Corps, to April, 1864. Maltby's Brigade, District of Vicksburg, to November, 1864. Artillery Reserve, District of Vicksburg, to August, 1865.
SERVICE.--Battle of Shiloh, Tenn., April 6-7, 1862. Advance on and sieze of Corinth, Miss., April 29-May 30. March to Memphis, Tenn., June 1-17, and duty there till November, 1862. Grant's Central Mississippi Campaign November-December. "Tallahatchie March" November 26-December 12. Sherman's Yazoo Expedition December 20, 1862, to January 3, 1863. Chickasaw Bayou December 26-28. Chickasaw Bluff December 29. Expedition to Arkansas Post, Ark., January 3-10, 1863. Assault on and capture of Fort Hindman, Arkansas Post, January 10-11. Moved to Young's Point, La., January 17, and duty there till March. Expedition to Rolling Fork via Muddy, Steele's and Black Bayous and Deer Creek March 14-27. Moved to Milliken's Bend and duty there till April. Demonstrations on Haines and Drumgould's Bluffs April 29-May 2. Moved to Join army in rear of Vicksburg via Richmond and Grand Gulf May 2-14. Jackson, Miss., May 14. Siege of Vicksburg May 18-July 4. Assaults on Vicksburg May 19 and 22. Advance Jackson, Miss., May 5-10. Siege of Jackson July 10-17. Duty at Vicksburg till February, 1864. Expedition from Vicksburg to Sunnyside Landing. Ark.. January 10-16, 1864. Duty in the Defences of Vicksburg till May 20, 1865. Expedition to Central Mississippi Railroad November 28-December 2, 1864. Moved to Natchez, Miss., May 20, 1865, and duty there till June 28. At Vicksburg till July 20. Mustered out August 7, 1865. Battery lost during service 1 Enlisted man killed and 22 Enlisted men by disease. Total 23.

William R. Jones - 32 Ohio Infantry - CDV

A nice full standing image of William R. jones of Company H, 32nd Ohio Infnatry.† Jones enlisted as a private in September 1861.† He fought with the 32nd Ohio until he was wounded at Big Shanty, Georgia on June 27, 1864.† Unfortunately he did not recover from his wounds and died on July 13, 1864.† He is buried in Marietta, Georgia at the National Cemetary.† There is no backmark on this image.
32nd Regiment Infantry. Organized at Mansfield, Ohio, August 20 to September 7, 1861. Left State for Grafton, W. Va., September 15, thence moved to Cheat Mountain Summit. Attached to Kimball's Brigade, Cheat Mountain, District West Virginia, to November, 1861. Milroy's Brigade, Reynolds' Command, Cheat Mountain, District West Virginia, to March, 1862. Milroy's Brigade, Dept. of the Mountains, to June, 1862. Piatt's 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 1st Corps, Pope's Army of Virginia, to July, 1862. Piatt's Brigade, White's Division, Winchester, Va., to September, 1862. Miles' Command, Harper's Ferry, W. Va., September, 1862. Captured September 15, 1862. 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 17th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee, January to December, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 17th Army Corps, to July, 1864. 1st Brigade, 4th Division, 17th Army Corps, to April, 1865. 2nd Brigade, 4th Division, 17th Army Corps, to July, 1865.
SERVICE.--Action at Greenbrier River, W. Va., October 3-4, 1861. Duty at Greenbrier till December. Action at Camp Allegheny December 13. Duty at Beverly December, 1861, to April, 1862. Expedition on the Seneca April 1-12. Action at Monterey April 12. At Staunton till May 7. Battle of McDowell May 8. Battle of Cross Keys June 8. Duty at Strasburg and Winchester till September. Evacuation of Winchester September 2. Defence of Harper's Ferry, W. Va., September 12-15. Maryland Heights September 12-13. Regiment surrendered September 15. Paroled September 16 and sent to Annapolis, Md., thence to Chicago, Ill., and to Cleveland, Ohio. Exchanged January 12, 1863. Moved to Memphis, Tenn., January 20-25, 1863, thence to Lake Providence, La., February 20, and to Milliken's Bend, La., April 17. Movement on Bruinsburg and turning Grand Gulf April 25-30. Battle of Port Gibson May 1. Raymond May 12. Jackson May 14. Champion's Hill May 16. Siege of Vicksburg, Miss., May 18-July 4. Assaults on Vicksburg May 19 and 22. Surrender of Vicksburg July 4, and garrison duty there till February, 1864. Expedition to Monroe, La., August 20-September 2, 1863. Expedition to Canton October 14-20. Bogue Chitto Creek October 17. Meridian Campaign February 3-March 2. Baker's Creek February 5. Moved to Clifton, Tenn., thence march to Ackworth, Ga., April 21-June 8. Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign, June 8-September 8. Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2. Assault on Kenesaw June 27. Nickajack Creek July 2-5. Howell's Ferry July 5. Chattahoochie River July 6-17. Leggett's or Bald Hill July 20-21. Battle of Atlanta July 22. Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25. Flank movement on Jonesboro August 25-30. Battle of Jonesboro August 31-September 1. Lovejoy Station September 2-6. Operations against Hood in North Georgia and North Alabama September 29-November 3. Shadow Church and Westbrook's near Fairburn October 2. March to the sea November 15-December 10. Louisville November 30. Siege of Savannah December 10-21. Campaign of the Carolinas January to April, 1865. Salkehatchie Swamp, S. C., February 2-5. River's Bridge, Salkehatchie River, February 3. South Edisto River February 9. Orangeburg February 11-12. Columbia February 15-17. Fayetteville, N. C., March 11. Battle of Bentonville March 20-21. Occupation of Goldsboro March 24. Advance on Raleigh April 10-14. Occupation of Raleigh April 14. Bennett's House April 26. Surrender of Johnston and his army. March to Washington, D.C., via Richmond, Va., April 29-May 20. Grand Review May 24. Moved to Louisville, Ky., June 8. Mustered out July 20, 1865. Regiment lost during service 5 Officers and 99 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 2 Officers and 143 Enlisted men by disease. Total 240.

Captain George Boehm - 37 Ohio Infantry - CDV

A nice seated image of Captain George Boehm of Company F, 37th Ohio Infantry.† Boehm mustered into Company F as Captain in August 1861.† He mustered out in January 1865.† The image is period ink signed "Capt. Geo. Boehm" on the bottom of the front carte below the image.† There is no backmark.†
37th Regiment Infantry. Organized at Camp Dennison, Ohio, and mustered in October 2, 1861. Ordered to the Kanawha Valley, West Virginia. Attached to Benham's Brigade, District of the Kanawha, West Virginia, to October, 1861. District of the Kanawha, West Virginia, to March, 1862. 2nd Brigade, Kanawha Division, Dept. of the Mountains, to May, 1862. 2nd Brigade, Kanawha Division, West Virginia, to August, 1862. District of the Kanawha, West Virginia, Dept. of the Ohio, to December, 1862. Ewing's Brigade, Kanawha Division, West Virginia, to January, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 15th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee, to October, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 15th Army Corps, to June, 1865. Dept. of Arkansas to August, 1865.
SERVICE.---Operations in the Kanawha District and New River Regiment, West Virginia, October 19-November 16, 1861. Duty at Clifton till March, 1862. Expedition to Logan Court House and Guyandotte Valley January 12-23. Demonstrations against Virginia & Tennessee Railroad May 10-18. Actions at Princeton May 15, 16 and 17. Charleston May 17. Moved to Flat Top Mountain and duty there till August. Moved to Raleigh Court House August 1. Operations about Wyoming Court House August 2-8. Wyoming Court House August 5. Operations in the Kanawha Valley August 29-September 18. Repulse of Loring's attack on Fayetteville September 10. Cotton Hill September 11. Charleston September 12-13. Duty at Point Pleasant till October 15, and at Gauley Bridge till December 20. Ordered to Napoleon, Ark., December 20; thence to Young's Point, La., January 21, 1863, and duty there till March. Expedition to Rolling Fork via Muddy, Steele's and Black Bayous and Deer Creek March 14-27. Demonstrations on Haines and Drumgould's Bluffs April 27-May 1. Movement to join army in rear of Vicksburg, Miss., via Richmond and Grand Gulf May 2-14. Siege of Vicksburg, Miss., May 18-July 4. Assaults on Vicksburg May 19 and 22. Advance on Jackson, Miss., July 5-10. Siege of Jackson July 10-17. Camp at Big Black till September 26. Moved to Memphis, thence march to Chattanooga, Tenn., September 26-November 21. Operations on the Memphis & Charleston Railroad in Alabama October 20-29. Bear Creek, Tuscumbia, October 27. Chattanooga-Ringgold Campaign November 23-27. Tunnel Hill November 24-25. Mission Ridge November 25. March to relief of Knoxville November 29-December 8. Reenlisted at Larkinsville, Ala., February 9, 1864. Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May 1 to September 8. Demonstrations on Resaca May 8-13. Near Resaca May 13. Battle of Resaca May 14-15. Advance on Dallas May 18-25. Operations on line of Pumpkin Vine Creek and battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5. Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2. Assault on Kenesaw June 27. Nickajack Creek July 2-5. Ruff's Mills July 3-4. Chattahoochie River July 6-17. Battle of Atlanta July 22. Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25. Ezra Chapel, Hood's 2nd Sortie, July 28. Flank movement on Jonesboro August 25-30. Battle of Jonesboro August 31-September 1. Lovejoy Station September 2-6. Operations against Hood in North Georgia and North Alabama September 29-November 3. Turkeytown and Gadsden Road October 25. March to the sea November 15-December 10. Siege of Savannah December 10-21. Fort McAllister December 13. Campaign of the Carolinas January to April, 1865. Salkehatchie Swamp, S.C., February 2-5. Cannon's Bridge, South Edisto River, February 8. North Edisto River February 12-13. Columbia February 16-17. Battle of Bentonville, N. C., March 20-21. Mill Creek March 22. Occupation of Goldsboro March 24. Advance on Raleigh April 10-14. Occupation of Raleigh April 14. Bennett's House April 26. Surrender of Johnston and his army. March to Washington, D.C., via Richmond, Va., April 29-May 20. Grand Review May 24. Moved to Louisville, Ky., June; thence to Little Rock, Ark., and duty there till August. Mustered out August 7, 1865. Regiment lost during service 9 Officers and 102 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 94 Enlisted men by disease. Total 206.

Additional Pages
1  2   3  [Next Page]

Cash, Check, Money Order, and PayPal
We now accept PAYPAL for those of you who would like to use credit cards!  Please send to .
Your satisfaction and happiness is our major concern.  We will be glad to refund your purchase price if you are not happy with your purchase if returned within fifteen days of your receipt.
You can order through our web site or you can call 803-431-1798 for your order.  Sales are complete when we confirm items are still in stock.
We ship using the United States Post Office.
Featured Item
Massachusetts at the New Berne, N.C. Battlefield Monument Dedication Badge

Catalog update 10/05/2021
 Civil War Items
 Civil War Photographs
 Civil War Reference Books
 Grand Army of the Republic
 Indian War and Western
 Revolutionary War
 SOLD Items
 United Confederate Veteran
About Us!
Contact Information
Home Page
Your Account

Copyright © 2022 The Veteranís Attic
Powered by Web-Cat Copyright © 1996-2022 GrayCat Systems