A great badge worn by members of the 47th Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteer Infantry at their reunion held in Allentown, Pennsylvania in 1917. The badge consists of a blue ribbon with a pin sewn on the back. A cardboard type 19th Corp badge is attached to the ribbon with a celluloid of Captain William H. Bartholomew. Written in silver on the badge is "45th Annual Reunion of the 47th REG'T PA. VET> VOLS> - Pocotaligo, S.C. - October 22, 1862 - Allentown, PA. - October 22, 1917". Attached to the back of the badge is a card that says "Edward H. Schlechter - 540 Hamilton St., Allentown, Pa., Manufacturer of Ribbon, Metal, and Celluloid BADGES & BUTTONS.".
Forty-seventh Infantry. — Cols., Tilghman H. Good, J. P. S. Gobin; Lieut.-Cols., G. W. Alexander, J. P. S. Gobin, Charles W. Abbott; Majs., William H. Gansler, J. P. S. Gobin, John J. Goebel, George Stroop, Levi Stuber. The 47th, three companies of which had served in the 1st regiment, one in the 2nd, one in the 9th, one in the 11th and one in the 25th, was mustered in at Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, from Aug. 19 to Sept. 20, 1861, for three years. It was ordered to Washington and encamped at Kalorama heights until Sept. 28, when it was ordered to Fort Ethan Allen and attached to the 3d brigade of Gen. W. F. Smith's division. Under Gen. Brannan the brigade embarked for Key West on Jan. 27, 1862, and remained there until June, when it moved to Hilton Head, S. C, where it performed picket duty until ordered to join Gen. Brannan's expedition to open up the St. John's river. When this was accomplished, it returned to Hilton Head and engaged the enemy at Pocotaligo, where the troops were highly praised for their efficient service. Ordered again to Key West on Nov. 15, the regiment garrisoned Forts Taylor and Jefferson until sent to Franklin, La., in Feb., 1864. Here it was assigned to the 2nd brigade, 1st division, 19th corps, and joined the Red River expedition, engaging at Sabine cross-roads, Pleasant Hill, and Cane Hill, after which it returned to Alexandria and spent some time aiding in the construction of a dam across the channel of the Red River. On June 20, it moved to New Orleans and there embarked for Washington. With the 1st division, 19th corps, it took part in the battles of the Opequan and Cedar creek. Winter quarters were constructed near Winchester, but on Dec. 20, the regiment proceeded to Charlestown and again went into winter quarters, this time at Camp Fairview. In April, 1865, it was ordered to Fort Stevens near Washington and participated in the grand review of the Union army. On June 1 it was ordered to Savannah, Ga., to Charleston in July, and finally home in Jan., 1866.
Footnotes: Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 1