Civil War Photographs
CDV’s/Carte de Vistas
Surgeon William P. Davis, 10th iowa Infantry CDV

Offered is an image of Surgeon William P. Davis of the 10th Iowa Infantry.  The image shows Davis in an officers frock coat.  Written on the front of the image is "William P. Davis - Surgeon 10th Regt. Iowa Vol. - 1813 - 1867".  Written on the back of the CDV is "William P. Davis son of John Davis and his wife, Elizabeth Colehur.  Served in the Civil War, was elected state senator in Iowa, 1857.  1813 (?) - 1867 - Surgeon 10th Regt. Iowa Vol. Civil War".

10th Iowa Infantry
in the American Civil War

Regimental History
Tenth Iowa Infantry, — Cols., Nicholas Perczel, Paris P. Henderson; Lieut.-Cols., William E. Small, Nathaniel McCalla, William H. Silsby; Majs., John C. Bennett, Nathaniel McCalla, Robert Lusby. This regiment was organized at Camp Fremont, near Iowa City, in the summer and fall of 1861. Eight companies were mustered in on Sept. 6 and 7, one was mustered in on the 28th, and one on Oct. 13. The regiment received its equipment at St. Louis and moved to Cape Girardeau, where it went into camp. In the early part of November it was ordered to Bloomfield to drive out Jeff Thompson's force, but found it gone on its arrival. Taking possession of a large amount of property left by Thompson, it returned to Cape Girardeau, and in December went into winter quarters at Bird's Point. On Jan. 8, 1862, it marched by night toward Charleston for the purpose of capturing a body of the enemy said to be there. While passing through a dense forest it was surprised by an attack from ambush, but recovered from its confusion and dispersed the enemy. It took part in the siege of New Madrid, then engaged in the operations about Island No. 10, accompanied the command to Corinth and took an important part in the engagements about that place. It was engaged at the battle of Iuka, and in the battle of Corinth in October it fought with Sullivan's brigade, winning golden opinions for its telling work. It moved to Oxford in November, intending to take part in the movement upon Vicksburg, but the surrender of Holly Springs with its stores compelled a change of plans, and it marched to Memphis where it spent the winter. A number of changes were made during the time between its service in Missouri and its arrival in Memphis; Maj. Bennett resigned near the close of 1861 and was succeeded by Capt. McCalla; Col. Perczel resigned in Nov., 1862, and Capt. Henderson was commissioned to succeed him; in 1863 Maj. McCalla succeeded Lieut.-Col. Small, resigned, and Capt. Robert Lusby was made major. The regiment accompanied the Yazoo Pass expedition in the spring of 1863 and after that moved to Milliken's bend. It was in the battle of Raymond and at Jackson its division bore the brunt of the fight. It was in Col. Boomer's brigade, which pushed in at a critical moment when Hovey's division was falling back, and by desperate fighting saved him from rout, thus gaining time for Crocker to advance other troops, turn the tide and save the day. The loss was terrible, the 10th leaving its dead in profusion and the brigade being cut to pieces. It took part in the assault on Vicksburg May 22, making two charges and losing heavily. Col. Boomer, commanding the brigade, was killed and Col. Matthies succeeded him. After the fall of Vicksburg the regiment took part in the siege of Jackson and then went into camp. It was ordered to Chattanooga in the latter part of September, was engaged at Missionary ridge with its brigade, being in some of the fiercest fighting in that battle and losing heavily. It went into winter quarters at Huntsville, Ala., and in Feb., 1864, reenlisted as a veteran organization. In the latter part of April the regiment relieved Dodge's division at Decatur, and in June it visited Iowa on veteran furlough. Upon its return in July it was stationed near Kingston, Ga., on railroad guard duty. It took part in two expeditions against Wheeler, the second through Tennessee and northern Alabama, the entire movement taking the command on a march of nearly 1,000 miles. In October it aided in holding Resaca against Hood's forces until Sherman's pursuing column came up. It joined the march to Savannah and took part in the campaign of the Carolinas. It crossed the Salkehatchie river in company with the 56th Ill., wading waist deep in the face of a body of the enemy posted behind earthworks, and drove them from their position. It was engaged at Columbia and again at Cox's bridge near Bentonville. It participated in the grand review at Washington, thence to Louisville and to Little Rock, Ark., where it was mustered out Aug. 15, 1865. Its original strength was 913; gain by recruits, 114; total 1,027.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $125.00 USD

Armed CDV of Lt./Capt. George W. Eyestone, 11 Indiana Infantry & 46 USCT

Offered is an image of George W. Eyestone as an officer.  Eyestone started his Civil War career as a private in the 11th Indiana Infantry in August 1861.  He fought with the 11th Indiana Infantry until  October, 1863 when he was commissioned 1st Lieutenant of the 46th United States Colored Troop.  Eyestone was promoted in September 1864 to Captain.  He mustered out January 30. 1866.

The image has Eyestone dressed as an officer standing with his sword.  The photographer was D.P. Barr, Army Photographer, Palace of Art, Vicksburg, Miss. as noted on the rear of the card.  The photo has clipped corners.  This image does not have any identification but I owned a similar image in my collection which was ink signed.  A copy of my collection image will be included with the Civil War image.  The copy image is the third scan on the listing.

11th Regiment Infantry "Wallace's Zouaves" (3 Years)

Organized at Indianapolis, Ind., August 31, 1861. Moved to Paducah, Ky., September 6, and duty there until February 5, 1862. Attached to 5th Brigade, 2nd Division, Army of the Tennessee, February, 1862. 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, Army of the Tennessee, to July, 1862. Helena, Ark., District of East Arkansas, Dept. of Missouri, to December, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, District of Eastern Arkansas, Dept. of the Tennessee, to January, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 12th Division, 13th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee, to February, 1863. 1st Brigade, 12th Division, 13th Army Corps, to July, 1863. 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 13th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee, to August, 1863, and Dept. of the Gulf to June, 1864. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 19th Army Corps, to August, 1864. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 19th Army Corps, Army of the Shenandoah, Middle Military Division, to January, 1865. 2nd Separate Brigade, 8th Army Corps, Middle Department, to July, 1865.

SERVICE.--Operations against Forts Henry and Heiman, Tenn., February 2-6, 1862. Investment and capture of Fort Donelson, Tenn., February 12-16. Expedition to Clarksville, Tenn., February 19-21. Expedition toward Purdy and operations about Crump's Landing, Tenn., March 9-14. Battle of Shiloh, Tenn., April 6-7. Advance on and siege of Corinth, Miss., April 29-May 30. Occupation of Corinth and pursuit to Booneville May 30-June 3. March to Memphis, Tenn., June 3-20, and duty there until July 24. Ordered to Helena, Ark., July 24, and duty there until April, 1863. Expedition from Helena to Arkansas Post, Ark., November 16-21, 1862. Expedition from Helena to Grenada, Miss., November 27-December 5. Tallahatchie November 30. Mitchell's Cross Roads December 1. Moved to Milliken's Bend, La., April 14. Movement on Bruinsburg and turning Grand Gulf April 25-30. Battle of Port Gibson May 1. 14-Mile Creek May 12-13. Battle of Champion's Hill May 16. Siege of Vicksburg, Miss., May 18-July 4. Assaults on Vicksburg May 19 and 22. Advance on Jackson, Miss., July 4-10. Siege of Jackson July 10-17. Duty at Vicksburg until August 6. Ordered to New Orleans, La., August 6; thence to Brasher City, and duty there until October. Western Louisiana Campaign October 3-November 30. Bayou Cortableau October 21. Carrion Crow Bayou November 3. Regiment Veteranize January 1, 1864. Veterans on furlough March 4 to May 8. Duty in District of LaFourche and Defenses of New Orleans, La., until May. At New Orleans, La., until July 19. Ordered to Washington, D. C., July 19. Sheridan's Shenandoah Valley Campaign August 7-November 28. Battle of Opequan, Winchester, September 19. Fisher's Hill September 22. Woodstock September 23. Mt. Jackson September 23-24. Battle of Cedar Creek October 19. Duty in the Shenandoah Valley until January, 1865. Duty at Fort Marshall, Baltimore, Md., January 7 to July 26, 1865. Mustered out July 26, 1865.

Regiment lost during service 1 Officer and 114 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 3 Officers and 170 Enlisted men by disease. Total 288.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $125.00 USD

Jonathan Pickerel - 48 Indiana Infantry - 49 USCT Infantry CDV

Offered is an image of Lt. Jonathan Pickerel.  Pickerel started his Civil War career when he mustered in Co. C, 48 Indiana Infantry in January 1862 as Corporal.  In June 1863 he was discharged for promotion to the 49th Untied State Colored Troop.  He was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant on June 1, 1863.  He was promoted to 1st Lieutenant on April 1, 1864.  He resigned December 22, 1864.

The image has a bust shot of Pickerel as an officer.  The back mark is Washington Gallery, Odd Fellow's hall, Vicksburg, Miss. as noted on the rear of the CDV.  The image is not marked in anyway but included is another copy image of Pickerel wearing a tam hat which is signed.  This printed copy comes with the CDV.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $110.00 USD

General Rufus Ingalls Albumen

Offered is a Civil War image of General Rufus Ingalls.  The actual image is a CDV size of 2 5/16 inches wide and 3 1/4 inches wide.  The backing the photo is attached to is 5 1/2 inches wide and 7 inches tall.  General Ingalls was probably the only officer in the Army of the Potomac who provided every commander of that corp great satisfaction.  Ingalls graduated from West Point and served in the Mexican war where he served with his friend and intimate U.S. Grant.  He had an interesting career in the prewar army.  Early in the war Ingalls was appointed chief quartermaster of the Army of the Potomac and he retained that position for all of the war.  Not an easy task with many of the generals coming and going.  Ingalls served for 40 years and died in 1893.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $135.00 USD

General Ambose E. Burnside CDV

Offered is an image of General Ambrose Everett Burnside.  This is an image of Burnside as a brigadier general which would be before March, 1862.  The image does not have a back mark.  Written in pencil under the photograph is “Burnside”.

Ambrose Burnside

Ambrose Burnside


May 23, 1824
Liberty, Indiana


Sep. 13, 1881 (at age 57)
Bristol, Rhode Island


United States of America


Major General (1847–1865)


Mexican-American War
American Civil War:
First Battle of Bull Run
Burnside’s North Carolina Expedition
Battle of Roanoke Island
Battle of New Bern
Maryland Campaign
Battle of South Mountain
Battle of Antietam
Battle of Fredericksburg
Knoxville Campaign
Overland Campaign
Battle of the Wilderness
Battle of Spotsylvania Court House
Battle of North Anna
Battle of Cold Harbor
Siege of Petersburg
Battle of the Crater

Ambrose Burnside (1824-1881) was a general in the United States Army during the American Civil War. He had a mixed record, enjoying substantial success in Carolina and Tennessee but suffering such severe defeats in two later battles that gave him a reputation for incompetence. After the war, he became a civil engineer and politician, rising to be a U.S. senator.

Early Life

Burnside was born in Liberty, Indiana, into a large family which eventually included eight siblings. He went to school at Liberty Seminary, but when his mother died in 1841, he dropped out of school and became a tailor’s apprentice. Rather than continue in this trade, Burnside used the political connections his father enjoyed to gain entry to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. Here, he was a competent but unexceptional student, graduating almost exactly halfway up his class.

On his graduation, he was sent as a brevet second lieutenant to the 2nd U.S. Artillery. He was assigned to participate in the Mexican-American War at Vera Cruz but, by the time his unit arrived, the war had ended and so they were given garrison duties in Mexico City. On his return to the U.S., Burnside was placed under the command of Braxton Bragg – then a captain – on the Western Frontier. In this role, Burnside suffered a neck wound at the hands of the Apaches in New Mexico.

Out of the Army

In 1852, Burnside was sent to Fort Adams, Rhode Island, but in April of that year he married to Mary Bishop of Providence, and a year later he resigned his commission. He set up the Burnside Arms Company, which gained a contract to supply this gun to the U.S. Army. However, John B. Floyd, the Secretary of War, was bribed by another manufacturer and the contract was not honored. Burnside’s factory suffered a severe fire, and combined with the cost of his unsuccessful attempt to be elected a Congressman, this destroyed him financially.

Civil War

On the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, Burnside was working as a railroad treasurer in Illinois, but once hostilities had begun, he went back to Rhode Island, raising a volunteer infantry regiment in that state; he was quickly named as its colonel. In that role, he took his men to Washington, D.C., and before long he had been appointed to command a brigade in northeast Virginia. He was a commander at the unsuccessful First Battle of Bull Run in July, but he endured criticism for the piecemeal way in which he had committed his troops.

After this reverse, the regiment Burnside had created was removed from service, with Burnside himself given a new role as brigadier general of volunteers. He underwent a period of training with the Army of the Potomac, and then set sail for North Carolina at the start of 1862. Burnside was more successful in this capacity, proving victorious at both Roanoke Island and New Bern. These victories brought him promotion to major general, and then – after McClellan’s Peninsula Campaign had failed – he was offered command of the Army of the Potomac by President Abraham Lincoln.

Army of the Potomac

Burnside, however, rejected the offer on the grounds that he felt he was too inexperienced for such a role. He again declined command of the Army after the Union‘s second loss at Bull Run in August. This time, his IX Corps was sent to the Army of the Potomac itself, with Burnside commanding both his own and I Corps. Under the overall command of McClellan, Burnside and his men participated in both the Battle of South Mountain and the bloody Battle of Antietam.

At Antietam, Burnside was told to capture a bridge, but he was slow to react to events and did not think to look for other suitable crossings across the river, and this resulted in his forces suffering at the bridge itself. The slowness of Burnside’s reactions meant that the taking of the bridge was a protracted affair. Although it was eventually captured, by then it was too late for Burnside’s men to break out from the containment tactics practiced by Major General A.P. Hill.

Fredericksburg and Ohio

In early November, Lincoln persuaded Burnside to accept control of the army in place of McClellan, who had been removed after Antietam. Burnside’s idea to capture Richmond by circling around Lee via a quick push to Fredericksburg in Virginia was supported by Lincoln: the plan almost worked, but the late arrival of pontoon bridges meant that a river crossing was delayed. Instead, Burnside waited so long that Lee’s men arrived, and he suffered defeat in the Battle of Fredericksburg. After a first, unsuccessful attempt to resign, he was relieved of his command in January 1863.

The President, however, wished to retain Burnside and once again placed him in command of IX Corps, this time in Ohio. Burnside courted controversy in April after issuing an order making opposing the war a crime. As summer wore on, Burnside’s troops were closely involved in capturing rebel Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan. Later, Burnside’s offensive tactics won victories at Knoxville, Tennessee and Chickamauga.

Back to the East

After a successful engagement outside Knoxville in November 1863, Burnside was instrumental in the Union victory at Chattanooga. The early months of 1864 saw his IX Corps taken back east in order to help with the Overland Campaign of Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant, in which role Burnside at first reported directly to the general. Burnside’s troops took part in the Battles at Wilderness and Spotsylvania, but he tended to be overly cautious when committing his men and, overall, his actions lacked distinction.

The IX Corps later joined the siege at Petersburg, which had reached a stalemate. Burnside approved a plan by infantrymen of his IX Corps, in which they would dig beneath the Confederate lines and plant a huge bomb. This, on exploding, would produce a gap sufficiently wide to allow Union forces to attack. Burnside had intended to use specialist black troops but he was forced at short notice to replace them with whites. The Battle of the Crater in August turned out to be a terrible defeat, and Burnside was stripped of his command.


Burnside was put on leave and was never allowed to command troops again, his army days ending in April 1865. His legacy is of a man who was personally popular, both with his soldiers and with the common people, but an excessively promoted leader – a view shared by Burnside himself – who was often both incompetent and indecisive. When he returned to civilian life, he spent time in railroad management, then later enjoyed a distinguished political career as senator and governor. The distinctive style of facial hair known as sideburns is named in Burnside’s honor.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $85.00 USD

Armed Image of General Quincy A. Gillmore

Offered is a CDV of General Quincy Adams Gillmore.  The image is a three quarter standing photograph.  He is wearing a sword and holding a slouch hat.  The  back mark is “E. & H.T. Anthony, 301 Broadway, New York. From Photographic Negative in Brady’s National Portrait Gallery”.

Quincy Gillmore 

Quincy Gillmore was a Civil War military leader from Ohio. He was born on February 28, 1825, at Black River, Ohio. His father was a staunch supporter of President John Quincy Adams, and named his son Quincy Adams Gillmore. He spent his youth working on his father's farm and attended school only during the winter months. By the age of seventeen, Gillmore was teaching school. He began to study medicine in his free time until he received an appointment to the United States Military Academy at West Point in 1845. He ranked first in his class when he graduated in 1849.

In 1849, Gillmore joined the Corps of Engineers and helped plan the fortifications of Hampton Roads, Virginia. In 1852, he returned to West Point as an instructor of practical military engineering. At West Point, Gillmore conducted research on the effects of cannon projectiles on masonry forts. His research assisted him during the American Civil War. In 1856, he was transferred to New York City, where he was the army's chief engineer in the region. He held this position until the beginning of the Civil War.

In August 1861, Gillmore sought a battlefield position. Salmon Chase recommended that Ohio Governor William Dennison offer Gillmore command of one of Ohio's volunteer infantry regiments. Dennison agreed, but Gillmore refused the offer. Later that year, Gillmore was assigned to accompany General Thomas W. Sherman's expedition against the coastal regions of South Carolina. Gillmore was responsible for constructing defenses for the territory that Union forces seized. Sherman then sailed for Savannah, which was guarded by Fort Pulaski. Sherman asked Gillmore to develop a plan to capture the fort. Gillmore proposed bombarding Fort Pulaski from a nearby island - roughly three thousand yards away. Current military practice contended that only a bombardment from less than one thousand yards could succeed. After Gillmore opened his bombardment of Fort Pulaski on April 9, 1862, the Confederates inside surrendered in less than three days.

During the campaign against Savannah, Gillmore contracted malaria and took a leave of absence. Upon recovering his health, Gillmore was assigned to help the governor of New York recruit and train new volunteers for the Union army. In September 1862, Gillmore went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and took command of forces sent to drive Confederate soldiers under General Kirby Smith from Kentucky. Gillmore's time in Kentucky was relatively quiet. He remained in the area until early 1863, when he was assigned to plan and carry out an attack on Fort Sumter and Charleston, South Carolina. Gillmore succeeded in capturing or destroying numerous fortifications defending Charleston during July, August, and September 1863. Northern soldiers failed to capture the city but they did succeed in creating a virtual blockade of the water approaches to the city. For his successes in this campaign, Gillmore was promoted to major general.

In 1864, Gillmore was transferred to the command of General Benjamin Butler at Fortress Monroe, Virginia. Gillmore and Butler had a falling out, and General Ulysses S. Grant intervened, transferring Gillmore to Washington, DC. At Washington, Gillmore played a vital role in stopping Confederate General Jubal Early's advance on that city. He finished the war overseeing Northern troops in Georgia and South Carolina. Gillmore remained in the military following the war. He died on April 7, 1888, in New York.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $100.00 USD

General Peter J. Osterhaus CDV

Offered is an image of General Peter Joseph Osterhaus.  The image is a bust shot of the General.  There is no back mark on the card.  The card has been trimmed on both the top and the bottom of the card.  The actual photograph has not been cut or trimmed. 

 General Peter J. Osterhaus

 One of numerous Europeans to flee the continent in the  aftermath of the 1848 uprisings and end up in the Union army,  Peter J. Osterhaus was one of the best of the volunteer generals to serve in the Western Campaign and the most distinguished of the Union's many German American officers.

Born January 4, 1823 in Koblenz, Westphalia into an upper class family, he attended university where he received a liberal education and developed a strong attachment for democratic government.  After leaving the university he enlisted in the Prussian Army  and served one year  in the elite Jaeger rifles.  His father, a prominent architect arranged for him to establish a mercantile firm in Mannheim after completing his initial military service, but he continued in the military reserves eventually earning an officers  commission. Although he had married  Mathilda Born in 1847, he joined the revolutionary forces opposing Prussian imperialism during the uprising of 1848.  Appointed commander of revolutionary troops at Mannheim, he was not engaged in the fighting that raged in the southern part of Germany.  After the conflict ended in defeat for the democratic forces, he fled into France and ultimately immigrated to the United States with a group of like minded ex-revolutionaries. He settled in Bellville, Illinois, and there on May 1, 1850 opened a general store at 150 Main Street. His general store proving to be a commercial success, he sold it and used the proceeds to purchase property in nearby Lebanon where he was later appointed Postmaster.  Active in politics, he made the acquaintance of Abraham Lincoln.  He supported Fremont who ran for President in 1856 on the first Republican ticket. When Buchannan defeated Fremont, he lost his position as Postmaster on March 11, 1857, and soon thereafter his business failed as part of the financial depression gripping the West.

In 1860, he moved his family which now consisted of a wife and two children to St. Louis and accepted a position as a clerk in a local hardware store.  His military background and political involvement with the pro-union, anti-slavery element in St. Louis led to his selection to train Dr. Adam Hammer's medical students in the military arts following the organization of the Confederacy.  He later enlisted in the 2nd Missouri at the outbreak of hostilities and was elected Captain of Company B on April 24, 1861. Captain Osterhaus on May 10th led his company  during the capture of  the pro southern Missouri State Militia at Camp Jackson, St. Louis.  In June, as part of Colonel Boernstein's 2nd Missouri, he participated in Lyon's movement on Jefferson City and later in action at Boonville where he was appointed acting battalion commander of Companies A and B which consisted of  German American troops from Bellville. He was promoted to the rank of Major in June and led his battalion to Springfield, Missouri as part of General Lyon's Army.  Major Osterhaus first distinguished himself in battle in August at Wilson's Creek  where his coolness under fire impressed both his men and superior officers.  After the death of General Lyon, the Union forces returned to St. Louis to reorganize for the long campaign  ahead.

On the recommendation of General Fremont, he was appointed commanding officer of the newly formed 12th Missouri Regiment, one of several composed of German Americans from St. Louis and surrounding communities.  In September 1861  he moved his regiment to Jefferson City where it joined General Fremont who was preparing his  Army of the West  for a return to rebel held southwest Missouri.  Osterhaus was promptly assigned to Colonel Franz Sigel's 3rd Division. Colonel Sigel, like Osterhaus had participated in the 1848 Revolution. Sigel recognized his leadership ability and quickly elevated him to commander of the 2nd Brigade which was made up of  the German American 3rd, 12th, 17th Missouri and the 44th Illinois regiments. When Sigel returned to St. Louis on sick leave, he was appointed acting division commander.  Before General Fremont could  engage the rebels, he was relieved  by General Curtis who led his forces into Arkansas where they met the rebel army at Pea Ridge.  During the three days of fighting Osterhaus unerringly led his division  in three separate actions that helped turn the battle in favor of the Union forces.  After several months delay , he was promoted to the rank of  brigadier general on June 9, 1862. For the remainder of the year, he took part in General Curtis' operations in Arkansas. While on garrison duty at Helena was attached to Major General  McClernand's XIII Corps and given command of the 9th Division.  This was the only time he would not command  the German American regiments from St. Louis.  During this time the German Brigade comprised of the 3rd, 12th and 17th Missouri was under the command of General Frederick Steele.

Osterhaus first operation while commanding the 9th Division was with the XIII and XV Corps as part of  McClernand's short lived Army of the Mississippi. In January 1863 His division landed on the muddy banks of the Mississippi at Arkansas Post and marched all night through the swamps in order to approach the rebel fortress known as Fort Hindman from the less well defended land ward side.  He skillfully maneuvered his division through the difficult terrain at Arkansas Post, established his artillery for maximum effect on the fortress and led his men into position for a final assault.  The rebels sensing defeat  surrendered Fort Hindman and its five thousand man garrison. Later that month,  he joined Grant's army assembling at Milliken's Bend, Louisiana for the campaign against Vicksburg.  In May leading his division toward Vicksburg,  he was wounded at Big Black River Bridge but returned to duty two days later.  He then served through the balance of the siege of Vicksburg  with the 9th Division and in July took  part in the capture of Jackson, Mississippi while in  pursuit of Confederate General Johnson's army. In the midst of the Vicksburg Campaign, his beloved wife Mathilda died unexpectedly. He was assigned to the 1st Division, Army of  the Tennessee under Sherman in September 1863.  This assignment reunited  him with the German American regiments from St. Louis.

Shortly after joining the 1st Division, President Lincoln ordered Grant to move all available Union forces to the relief of Chattanooga.  While leading Sherman's movement toward Chattanooga, his troops skirmished constantly with cavalry forces under General Nathan Bedford Forrest.  At one encounter near Cane Creek his troops severely  wounded Forrest and broke the rebel resistance impeding  Sherman's advance. During the disposition of troops around Chattanooga, the 1st Division was separated from Sherman's column when a pontoon bridge gave way,  so his division was attached to Hooker's XX Corps which had recently arrived from the East. He led Hooker's column during the assault on Missionary Ridge breaking through at Rossville Gap. His rapid flanking movement caused General Bragg to order his army to retreat into Georgia.  His troops vigorously pursued Bragg as he fled into Georgia and fought a bloody encounter at Ringgold.  The following year his division played a prominent part  in the North Georgia Campaign.  In the midst of the Atlanta Campaign he became ill and while on sick leave was promoted to major general.  Returning to duty with Sherman's Army of the Tennessee at Atlanta, he was promoted to Major General on August 4, 1864.  In spite of reoccurring illness he went on, with some absences, to march to the sea  with Sherman  in command of the XV Corps.  After Savannah's capitulation, he participated in the early stages of the Carolinas Campaign but upon return of  Major General Logan from leave, he was soon sent to the Gulf coast as Canby's chief of staff during the operations against Mobile.  After the conclusion of hostilities, he was ordered by Major General Canby to take charge of the military district of Mississippi, head quartered at Jackson and later at Vicksburg until January 1866 when he mustered out at St. Louis, Missouri.

His assignments included: Major, Osterhaus' Missouri Battalion (April 27, 1861); Colonel, 12th  Missouri (December 19, 1861); commanding 2nd Brigade,  Army of Southwest Missouri, Department of the Missouri  (January-February 1862); commanding 1st Brigade, 1st Division, Army of Southwest Missouri, Department of the Missouri  (February-March 11, 1862); temporarily commanding the division (March 6-8, 1862); commanding 1st Brigade, 1st Division, Army of Southwest Missouri, Department of the  Mississippi (March 11 May 1862); commanding 3rd Division,  Army of Southwest Missouri, Department of the Mississippi  (May-September 19, 1862); Brigadier General, USV (June 9,  1862); commanding 3rd Brigade, Army of Southwest Missouri,  Department of the Missouri (September 19-December 1862);  1st Brigade, 1st Division, District of Eastern Arkansas, Department of the Missouri (December 1862); commanding 9th Division, 13th Corps, Army of the Tennessee (January 4-May 17 and  May 19-July 28, 1863); commanding 1st Division, 15th  Corps, Army of the Tennessee (September 1, 1863-January 4,  1864, February 6-July 15, and August 19 September 23,  1864); Major General, USV (July 23, 1864); commanding the XV Corps (September 23, 1864-January 8, 1865); and chief of staff,  Military Division of West Mississippi (January -May 27,  1865); commander, military department of Mississippi (May-January 15, 1866).

Mustered out on January 15, 1866, he returned to St. Louis where he was reunited with his children who were in the care of his sister-in-law, Amelia Born.  They were married later that year. He was appointed  U.S. Counsel at Lyon, France on June 18, 1866 serving  in that capacity until 1879.  In 1880 he returned to Germany with his wife where he was engaged in business at Mannheim, Germany.  He was again widowed when his wife Amelia became ill and died in 1996. He was appointed U. S. Counsel at Mannheim on March 16, 1898 and served in that capacity until his retirement from government service on November 8, 1900.  During his time in Germany, he returned to the United States frequently to visit  his sons and daughter who remained in the United States.

During his retirement, he was often remembered for his service to his adopted country and was made an honorary citizen of Bellville, Illinois on July 19, 1904.  On February 24, 1905 the United States Senate awarded him the rank of Brigadier General on the retired list  with full pay and benefits due  his rank.  On May 14, 1906 he returned from Europe to reside in St. Louis where he lived for several years.  He returned to Germany and celebrated his 90th birthday on January 6, 1913 at Duisburg.  He was again advanced in rank by an act of Congress elevating him to the permanent rank on the retired list of Major General in 1916. He was still collecting a pension while living in Duisburg a few months before the United States entered World War 1. He died at age 93 on December 31, 1916 and was buried in Duisburg.  He was survived by his sons Hugo W. , Alexander, Ludwig R. , his daughter  and their 30  grandchildren and great grandchildren.  He was the last surviving major general to have served in the Union Army during the Civil War. Several of his descendants followed in his military tradition and had distinguished military records while serving in the United States Armed Forces.  His grandson  Hugo W. was an Admiral in the United States Navy.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $135.00 USD

General U.S. Grant Full Standing CDV

Offered is a nice image of General U.S. Grant.  Grant is standing and is wearing a mourning ribbon for President Abraham Lincoln.     Written under the image is “Lieut. Gen. U. S. Grant”.  There is no back mark.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $85.00 USD

General Lovell H. Rousseau CDV

Offered is a CDV of General Lovell Harrison Rousseau.  Rousseau served as the Captain of the 2nd Indiana Volunteers in the Mexican War.  He was elected to the Kentucky state senate in 1860 but resigned in 1861 to recruit volunteers for the Union.  Rousseau was commissioned Colonel of the 3rd Kentucky (Union) Infantry on September 9, 1861.  He was promoted Brigadier General on October 1, 1861, and was promoted to Major General on October 22, 1862.  At Shiloh he commanded a brigade of D.C. Buell’ Army of the Ohio and at Perryville gallantly led a division of Alexander McD. McCook’s corps.  Subsequently, he succeeded to divisional command in G.H. Thomas’ Army of the Cumberland, serving with distinction at the battle of Murfreesboro (Stone’s River) in the Tullahoma campaign and at the end of the Chickamauga campaign.  Although he was not present at the battle of Chickamauga itself, he rejoined his command the day after.  From November, 1863 , until November, 1865, General Rousseau had command of the districts of Nashville and of Tennessee, the latter with headquarters at Murfreesboro.  He resigned in 1865 to take a seat in Congress.

The image is a bust shot.  The back mark is “Published by E. & H.T. Anthony, 501 Broadway, new York, Manufacturers of the best Photographic Albums”. 

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $100.00 USD

General Thomas J. Henderson CDV

Offered is an image of General Thomas Jefferson Henderson of the 112 Illinois Infantry.  Henderson enlisted on September 22, 1862 as Colonel of the 112 Illinois Infantry.  He was born in Brownsville, Tennessee in 1824.  He was promoted Brevet Brigadier General for his actions in Georgia and Tennessee but primarily for his actions at the battle of Franklin, Tennessee. 

The image is a CDV of General Henderson in a post war setting.  The back mark on the image is “Wm. H. Elliott, Photographer, Marshalltown, Iowa”.  Written in pencil on the back is “Gen. Thos. J. Henderson M.C. – Princeton, Ill – U.S. Army 1861 – 1865”.   Written in ink on the back of the image is “a friend of the family”.

112th Illinois Infantry
Regiment History



flagbar graphic


Adjutant General's Report

The One Hundred and Twelfth Regiment Illinois Volunteers was mustered into the service of the United States on the 20th and 22d days of September 1862, at Peoria, Ill., and was ordered to report to Major General Wright, commanding the Department of the Ohio, at  Cincinnati, O.  It accordingly moved from Peoria on the 8th day of  October 1862, by rail, and arrived at Cincinnati, O., about midnight, on the 10th day of October, when it was immediately ordered over the Ohio River, to report to Major General Gordon Granger, at Covington, Ky.  The Regiment reported to General Granger about 2 o'clock on the morning of the 11th of October, and immediately went to work to prepare for the field.  Having been brigaded with the Thirty-third Indiana, Seventy-seventh, Ninety-seventh and One Hundred and Eighth Illinois, under command of Colonel Coburn, of the Thirty-third Indiana, and having obtained transportation and supplies, it marched from Covington, Ky., on the 18th day of October 1862, for Falmouth, Ky.; but on the 19th day of October it was detached from the Brigade and ordered to guard a large supply-train to Big Eagle, on the Lexington and Covington pike.  The Regiment arrived at Big Eagle on the evening of the 21st of October, and, under orders, marched to Georgetown, Ky., on the 23d, and to Lexington, Ky., on the 24th.

It remained in camp at Lexington, Ky., for about five months, performing various duties, but was principally engaged in grand guard and provost duty; although detachments were occasionally sent to the ferries on the Kentucky River, to guard against the approach of the enemy.  And at one time, 100 men of the Regiment were mounted and kept on active and severe duty for several weeks; and while thus engaged, aided in driving Cluke's command out of Kentucky.

On the 21st of March 1863, the Regiment moved for Danville, Ky., arriving there on the evening of the 22d, and at midnight on the 23d, it was ordered back to Dick's River bridge, on the Lexington pike, with orders to guard the bridge, and hold the opposite bank of the river, at all hazards.  It remained at the bridge until the evening of the 24th, when it fell back to the Kentucky River, at the mouth of Hickman, with the rest of the army, retreating before was supposed to be a superior force of the enemy.

From the Kentucky River, it marched back to Nicholasville, and from thence moved by way of Camp Dick Robinson, Lancaster and Crab Orchard in the direction of Somerset, Ky., in pursuit of the enemy, by forced marches.  But the cavalry and mounted infantry having overtaken and defeated the enemy at Dutton's Hill, near Somerset, and driven him across the Cumberland River, the Regiment having only heard the sound of artillery at a respectful distance, counter-marched and moved back to Stanford.

In October 1862, the Regiment, on its arrival at Lexington, Ky., was brigaded with the Forty-fifth Ohio and the Eighteenth and Twenty-second Michigan, under command of General Green Clay Smith, of Kentucky.  He remained in command until in January 1863, when Colonel Doolittle, of the Eighteenth Michigan, took the command.

At Stanford, the Regiment was again detached from the Brigade, and ordered to Milledgeville, Ky., where it was mounted, and remained in camp until the 26th of April, when, with the new Brigade, consisting of the Forty-fifth Ohio, Thirty-second Kentucky and One Hundred and Twelfth Illinois, under command of Colonel Benjamin P. Runkle, of the Forty-fifth Ohio, it marched for Somerset, Ky.

At Somerset, it joined other troops, under the command of Brigadier General S. P. Carter, of Tennessee, and moved to Monticello, Ky., south of the Cumberland River, and aided in driving a body of rebel troops, under command of General Pegram, from that place, and out of Kentucky into Tennessee.  There the Regiment was under fire for the first time, and although it was not severely engaged and suffered no loss, it was complimented by Colonel Woolford for its steadiness, who remarked that he could scarcely believe the Regiment had not before been under fire.

From Monticello, the Regiment returned to Somerset, Ky., where it remained until July 1863, and where detachments from it were constantly engaged in active and severe duty, scouting up an down the Cumberland River, often at great distances, by night and by day; and in guarding fords and ferries on the Cumberland River.  While at Somerset, Ky., 200 picked men from the Regiment, under command of Captain Dunn, of Company D, with similar detachments from other regiments at Somerset, all under command of Major Dow, of the Regiment, joined Colonel Sanders in his celebrated raid over the mountains into East Tennessee.  For rapidity of movement, marching over mountains, and swimming rivers, by day and night, and for successful execution, baffling the enemy doing him a great amount of damage, and, finally, escaping from a vastly superior force, where every mountain gap was supposed to be securely guarded, this raid stands among the most brilliant of the war.  It severely tested the courage and endurance of the men and officers who participated in it.  The detachment of the One Hundred and Twelfth lost, in this raid, eleven (11) men captured, and five (5) drowned in swimming Clynch River, at night.

From Somerset, Ky., the Regiment moved back to Danville, Ky., and in the month of July, assisted in driving about fifteen hundred (1,500) rebels, under command of Scott, across the Cumberland.  It was four days and nights engaged in the pursuit of Scott, with but little or no rest or sleep, and for more than a 100 miles was skirmishing with the enemy.

After capturing about five hundred (500) prisoners-scattering many others in the woods-and recovering most of the property stolen by these raiders, Scott was finally driven over the Cumberland River and into the mountains, when the Regiment again returned to Danville, Ky., having had one (1) man killed and six (6) wounded in the pursuit and began the work of preparing for a campaign into East Tennessee.

From Danville, moved to Stanford, and from Stanford to Crab Orchard, from which place, having completed the necessary preparation, the Regiment marched for East Tennessee, with the army under General Burnside, re-brigaded with the First East Tennessee Mounted Infantry, Eighth Michigan Cavalry and Forty-fifth Ohio Mounted Infantry, under command of Colonel Byrd, of the First East Tennessee, on the 21st of August 1863, and arrived at Kingston, Tenn., on the 1st of September.

The Regiment actively participated in all the campaigns in East Tennessee, in 1863, and, up to February 4, 1864, sharing in the glory of redeeming that truly loyal people, and in wresting what was regarded as the key to the rebellion from rebel rule.  Being always at the front and often at great distance from the main body of the army,  it was kept constantly on the alert, and compelled to perform the severest duties, always on short rations.

Its operations in East Tennessee were at Kingston, Post Oak Springs, Athens, Calhoun, Charleston, Cleveland, Sweetwater, Philadelphia, Loudon, Campbell's Station, Knoxville, Bean Station, Blane's Cross Roads, Dandridge, Sevinville, Fair Gardens, Kelly's Ford, Flat Creek Cap, and other places, at many of which it was engaged in numerous skirmishes and battles, and being constantly in the presence of the enemy.  At Cleveland, one (1) Captain was killed, several men wounded, and about twenty (20) captured in a skirmish.

At Calhoun, the Regiment, with the Brigade was driven back by an overpowering force under Wheeler and Forrest, and the One Hundred and Twelfth brought up the rear, and for the manner in which it was done, holding the enemy in check and saving all the stores, it was complimented in an official order.  It, however, had 20 men captured and 1 Captain, who were guarding a ford on the Hiawassa, and were cut off.  At Philadelphia, it made a handsome charge and drove the enemy from a hill, for which it was cheered by other troops, and Major Dow, commanding, as well as the Regiment, was highly complimented by General Sanders and other officers.  In this charge, one man was killed and several wounded.

At Knoxville, the Regiment, with cavalry and other mounted  infantry, was thrown out in front to hold Longstreet in check, while the town was put in a defensible condition, and on the 18th day of November 1863, behaved most gallantly, and lost about 100 killed and wounded, and  about 20 men cut off and captured.

At Bean Station, Dandridge and Flat Creek, the Regiment lost several in each engagement, killed and wounded.

At Kelly's Ford, on the 28th of January 1864, the Regiment had 19 wounded, including 4 commissioned officers, and 1 man killed.

After the fight at Kelly's Ford, the Regiment moved to Maryville, Tenn., and from there to Knoxville, where it was dismounted, and marched on foot over the mountains to Mt Sterling, Ky., a distance of about 200 miles.  Arrived there on the 23d of February, and remained until the 6th of April, where the Regiment, after having been refitted as mounted infantry, and about ready for the field, was permanently dismounted and moved to Camp Nelson, Ky., by way of Lexington, where, after refitting for the field, as an infantry Regiment, it marched back again over the mountains, into East Tennessee, and arrived at Knoxville on the 3d or May.

From Knoxville, on the 8th day of May, the Regiment moved, by rail, to Cleveland, Tenn., and from thence marched on foot to Tunnel Hill, Ga., in charge of a large ordnance and ambulance train; reported to Major  General Schofield, commanding Department of Ohio, and the Twenty-third Army Corps, in the field.  The Regiment had been re-brigaded with the One Hundredth Ohio, One Hundred and Fourth Ohio, Eleventh and  Sixteenth Kentucky, under command of Colonel James W. Riley, of the One Hundred and Fourth Ohio, and known as the First Brigade, Third Division-under command of Brigadier General Cox-Twenty-third Army Corps.

From this time on, the Regiment participated in the campaign of  General Sherman, against Atlanta, and was with the Twenty-third Army Corps in all its movements in that interesting campaign.  At Resaca, on the 14th day of May, it was actively engaged, and lost some 50 men killed and wounded-among the latter the Colonel.

At Utoy Creek, on the right of Atlanta, the Regiment, on the 6th of August 1863, with the Brigade, made an unsuccessful assault on the enemy's works, and lost 71 men killed, wounded and missing.  Among the wounded  were the Lieutenant Colonel, 3 Captains and 1 Lieutenant.  3 Sergeants and 1 Corporal were killed on the field.

The Regiment was engaged in numerous other battles and skirmishes  of this campaign.

On the 8th of August, the Regiment was again re-brigaded with the Sixty-third, One Hundred and Twentieth and One Hundred and Twenty-eighth Indiana and Fifth Tennessee Regiments, under command of  Colonel Thomas J. Henderson, of the One Hundred and Twelfth Illinois.  The Brigade was known as the Third Brigade, Third Division, Twenty-third Army Corps, and the Regiment remained in it until it was mustered out of the service at the end of the war.

On the 31st of August, after having cut loose from Atlanta, and struck for the Macon Railroad-General Cox being anxious to be the first to reach the road-an object it had so long and so severely struggled to accomplish-ordered the One Hundred and Twelfth Illinois, under command of Major Dow, to report to him personally, when the Regiment immediately pushed forward, drove the enemy rapidly back, and successfully reached the Macon Railroad, just in time to cut off three of four long trains, with ordnance, etc., and commenced the work of  tearing up the track.  From this moment, all felt that the fall of Atlanta was certain.  After marching down to Jonesboro, learned of the evacuation of Atlanta, and on to Lovejoy, the Regiment returned with the army and with the Twenty-third Army Corps, went into camp at Decatur, Ga., and to rest, after being for four months marching and fighting, constantly in the presence of the enemy, and under fire almost every hour of the day and night.  Here the Regiment remained, from the 8th of September until the 4th of October, when Hood having re-crossed the Chattahoochie, the Regiment and Brigade, with Sherman's Army, moved in pursuit, and marched during the month, by indirect marches, nearly 400 miles, passing through Marietta, Ackworth, Allatoona, Carterville, Cassville, Kingston, Rome, Calhoun, Resaca, Snake Creek Gap, Villanow, Sommerville, Gaylesville and Cedar Bluff, Ala., and then back again to Rome.

Here, the Regiment, with the Twenty-third Army Corps, was separated from General Sherman, and sent back into East Tennessee, to look after Hood, who was reported to have crossed the Tennessee.  It accordingly marched on foot to Dalton, Ga., and from thence by rail moved to Nashville, and to Thompson Station, below Franklin, and from thence marched to Pulaski, Tenn., on foot.

Remained in camp, at Pulaski, until the 22d of November, when it commenced retreating to Nashville.  During the retreat, participated in the battles of Columbia and Franklin, losing some 30 or 40 men killed and wounded.

The Regiment also participated in the battles of Nashville, on the 15th and 16th of December.  The battles of Franklin November 30th- and  Nashville, were glorious battles, and virtually terminated the war in the West.

The Regiment, with the Twenty-third Army Corps, having pursued Hood's Army to the Tennessee River, was then ordered to a new field of operations, and proceeded by steamboat down the Tennessee and up the Ohio River to Cincinnati, and from that city, by rail, to Washington City.  From Alexandria, it went by the steamship "Atlantic" to Fort Fisher, North Carolina.  The Regiment then aided in the reduction of Fort Anderson, in driving the enemy from his works at Town Creek bridge, and finally from Wilmington, which place was occupied on the 22d of February 1865. From Wilmington the Regiment marched to Kingston, N.C., passing to Goldsboro, and, with the army, occupied that place.  From Goldsboro, moved to Raleigh.  At Raleigh, after the surrender of Johnson's Army, moved to Greensboro, N.C., where the Regiment remained until the 20th of June 1865, when it was mustered out of the service, and ordered to Chicago, Ill.  The Regiment arrived at Chicago on the 27th of June; was finally discharged on the 7th day of July 1865.

The Regiment was always in the Department of the Ohio, and served in the Twenty-third Army Corps, from its organization to the close of the war.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $90.00 USD

General Ed Johnson CDV

Offered is a nice image of General Edward A. Johnson.  General Johnson is in his Confederate generals uniform in the image.  There is no backmark on the image.

Edward "Allegheny" Johnson (April 16, 1816 – March 2, 1873) was a United States Army officer and Confederate general in the American Civil War. Highly rated by Robert E. Lee, he was made a divisional commander under Richard S. Ewell. On the first evening of the Battle of Gettysburg (July 1, 1863), Ewell missed his opportunity to attack Cemetery Hill, and Johnson opted against attacking Culp's Hill, for which he had a discretionary order, though he attempted this on the second and third days. Ewell and Johnson are blamed by many for the loss of this decisive battle.

Edward Johnson was born on the "Salisbury estate" near Midlothian in Chesterfield County, Virginia, but his family soon moved to Kentucky. He attended the United States Military Academy and graduated (after five years of study) in 1838. He was commissioned a brevet second lieutenant in the 6th U.S. Infantry and was promoted to first lieutenant in less than a year. He served in the Seminole Wars in Florida and then in the West. In the Mexican-American War, Johnson distinguished himself for action at Veracruz, Cerro Gordo, Churubusco, Molino del Rey, and Chapultepec. He received two brevet promotions, to captain and major, during the war and was awarded a ceremonial sword by the state of Virginia for his bravery. Johnson returned to duty on the Western frontier, serving in the Dakota Territory, California, Kansas, and on the Utah Expedition.

Civil War

After the outbreak of the Civil War, Johnson resigned his United States Army commission and received the rank of colonel in the 12th Georgia Infantry on July 2, 1861. The 12th Georgia fought in Gen. Robert E. Lee's first campaign in western Virginia, at the Battle of Greenbrier River. He was promoted to brigadier general on December 13, 1861, and received his nickname while commanding six infantry regiments in a battle on Allegheny Mountain. (This brigade-sized force was given the grandiose name "Army of the Northwest".)

Valley Campaign

In the winter of 1861–62, Johnson's army cooperated with Maj. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson in the early stages of Jackson's Valley Campaign. While Jackson marched his army into the mountains of the present-day Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia to conduct raids on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Johnson was tasked with protecting against a Union invasion of the "upper," more elevated areas of the Shenandoah Valley near Staunton, Virginia. His Army of the Northwest constructed a series of breastworks and trenches atop Shenandoah Mountain which they named simply Fort Edward Johnson. At the Battle of McDowell, Johnson was severely wounded with a bullet to the ankle, which took a long time to heal. He returned to Richmond for his convalescence and remained there for nearly a year, active in the social scene. Although Johnson was a heavy-set, rough-looking, rude character who was still a bachelor at age 47, he had the reputation of a ladies' man. Due to a wound he received in Mexico, he was afflicted with an eye that winked uncontrollably, causing many women to believe he was flirting with them. He caused enough attention that he rated mentions in the famous diary of Mary Chesnut.

Stonewall Division

In 1863, following the reorganization of the Army of Northern Virginia to compensate for the death of Stonewall Jackson after the Battle of Chancellorsville, Johnson was promoted to major general and given command of the "Stonewall Division" in Lt. Gen. Richard S. Ewell's Second Corps. Robert E. Lee had become dissatisfied with the previous commander at the battle and summoned Johnson back from medical leave to take the command.


By May 1863, Johnson had recovered enough to lead his division in the Gettysburg Campaign. He still needed a heavy hickory stick to move around on foot (and was known to use it against men he believed were shirking battle) and his men nicknamed him "Old Clubby". On the way north into Pennsylvania, Johnson defeated Union Maj. Gen. Robert H. Milroy at the Second Battle of Winchester. Johnson arrived at the Battle of Gettysburg on the evening of the first day, July 1, 1863. In a move that is still controversial, Ewell did not take advantage of Johnson's division and attack Cemetery Hill immediately that evening, when it might have been decisive. Johnson controversially declined to attack Culp's Hill that evening, for which he had a discretionary order. Instead, Johnson's division was the primary force that attacked Culp's Hill on the second and third days, suffering considerable casualties assaulting this impregnable position multiple times with no lasting success. In the fall of 1863, Johnson played a prominent role in the Mine Run Campaign.

Capture at Spotsylvania

In the Overland Campaign of 1864, Johnson fought well at the Battle of the Wilderness and when Lt. Gen. James Longstreet was seriously wounded there, Robert E. Lee considered Johnson as a replacement corps commander. During the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, on May 12, 1864, at the "Bloody Angle" section of the Confederate "Mule Shoe" defensive line, Johnson was captured along with Brig. Gen. George H. Steuart, and most of Johnson's division. He was imprisoned for months at Morris Island, off the coast of Charleston, South Carolina, and was exchanged on August 3, 1864. He was sent west to join Lt. Gen. John Bell Hood's Army of Tennessee, where he commanded a division in the corps of Lt. Gen. Stephen D. Lee. During the Franklin-Nashville Campaign, Johnson was captured again at the Battle of Nashville on December 16, 1864. He again spent months in a Union prisoner of war camp at Johnson's Island, in Lake Erie. At the end of the war, Johnson was moved to the Old Capitol Prison in Washington, D.C., where he was accused of being somehow complicit in the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Nothing came of the accusation and he was paroled on July 22, 1865.

Postbellum life

After the war, Johnson was a farmer in Virginia. He was active in Confederate veterans affairs, including early efforts to construct a monument to Robert E. Lee in Richmond. He died in Richmond and his body lay in state in the state capital until he was buried at Hollywood Cemetery.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $165.00 USD

General Milledge L. Bonham CDV - Confederate General & 70th Governor of South Carolina

Offered is a nice CDV of General Milledge L. Bonham, Confederate general and 70th Governor of South Carolina.  The image is nice.  The carte has clipped corners and the backmark is E.&H.T. Anthony, New York.

Milledge Luke Bonham (December 25, 1813 – August 27, 1890) was an American politician and Congressman who served as the 70th Governor of South Carolina from 1862 until 1864. He was a Confederate General during the American Civil War.

Early life and career

Milledge L. Bonham was born near Redbank (now Saluda), South Carolina, the son of Virginia native Capt. James Bonham and Sophie Smith Bonham, the niece of Capt. James Butler, who was the head of an illustrious South Carolina family. Milledge was a 1st cousin once removed to Andrew Pickens Butler. He attended private schools in the Edgefield District and at Abbeville. He graduated with honors from South Carolina College at Columbia in 1834. He served as Captain and adjutant general of the South Carolina Brigade in the Seminole War in Florida in 1836. That same year, his older brother James Butler Bonham perished at the Battle of the Alamo.

Bonham studied law and was admitted to the bar, in 1837, and commenced practice in Edgefield. During the Mexican-American War, he was lieutenant colonel (from March 1847) and colonel (from August 1847) of the 12th US Infantry Regiment. Two other members of his regiment, Major Maxcy Gregg and Captain Abner Monroe Perrin, would also become generals in the Civil War. After he returned home, Bonham was the major general of the South Carolina Militia. Entering politics, he served in the state house of representatives from 1840–1843. He married Ann Patience Griffin on November 13, 1845. Bonham was solicitor of the southern circuit of South Carolina from 1848–1857. He was elected as a Democrat to the Thirty-fifth United States Congress (succeeding his cousin, Preston Smith Brooks) and the Thirty-sixth United States Congress, and served from March 4, 1857, until his retirement on December 21, 1860.

Civil War

In early 1861, the Southern states that had seceded from the Union appointed special commissioners to travel to those other slaveholding Southern states that had yet to secede. Bonham served as the Commissioner from South Carolina to the Mississippi Secession Convention, and helped to persuade its members that they should also secede from the Union.

Bonham was appointed major general and commander of the Army of South Carolina by Gov. Francis W. Pickens in February 1861. He was appointed brigadier general in the Confederate Army on April 19, 1861, and commanded the First Brigade of the Confederate "Army of the Potomac" under P.G.T. Beauregard. He fought in the First Battle of Manassas, commanding his brigade as well as two artillery batteries and six companies of cavalry in the defense of Mitchell's Ford on Bull Run.

He resigned his commission January 27, 1862, to enter the Confederate Congress. On December 17, 1862, the South Carolina General Assembly elected Bonham as governor by secret ballot. He served until December 1864. During his term, the General Assembly enacted a prohibition against distilling in 1863 and also that year, it demanded that more land be used to grow food instead of cotton to increase the supply of food in the state. Bonham rejoined the Confederate Army as brigadier general of cavalry in February 1865, and was actively engaged in recruiting when the war ended.

Near Greenville, South Carolina a group of troops positioned there, because of worry of federal invasion from North Carolina, named their emplacement, Camp Bonham, in his honor.

Dates of Rank
  • Major General (South Carolina Militia), February 10, 1861
  • Brigadier General, April 23, 1861
  • Brigadier General, February 20, 1865
Postbellum activities

Bonham owned an insurance business in Edgefield and in Atlanta, Georgia, from 1865 to 1878. Returning to politics, Bonham was again a member of the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1865–1866 and a delegate to the Democratic National Convention in 1868. He was a member of the South Carolina taxpayers’ convention in 1871 and 1874. Retiring from public service, he resumed the practice of law in Edgefield and engaged in planting. He was appointed state railroad commissioner in 1878 and served until his death at White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. He was buried in Elmwood Cemetery in Columbia

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $165.00 USD

General Fitz Lee CDV

Offered is a nice bust up view of General Fitzhugh Lee in his Confederate uniform.  The backmark is E.&H.T. Anthony, New York.

The nephew of General Robert E. Lee, Fitzhugh Lee was born in Fairfax County, Virginia on November 19, 1835.  He was the son of Sydney Smith Lee, who would later become a captain in the Confederate States Navy. Although close to his famous uncle, Lee is remembered as one of the South's finest cavalry commanders. Lee attended the U. S. Military Academy at West Point, graduating in 1856.  After graduation, Lee fought as a cavalry officer in the Indian wars where he was severely injured. Following his recovery, he taught cavalry tactics at West Point and in 1861, when the Civil War began, he resigned his commission as 1st lieutenant in the U.S. Army.

He entered the Confederate Army as a lieutenant in the cavalry and served as a staff officer under General Richard S. Ewell. Within a short time he transferred to command of of the 1st Virginia Cavalry under Major General J.E.B. B. Stuart. At the age of twenty-seven, he was promoted to brigadier general on July 24, 1862.  As a cavalry brigade commander, Lee performed well in the Maryland Campaign, covering the Confederate infantry's withdrawal from South Mountain, delaying the Union Army advance to Sharpsburg, Maryland, before the Battle of Antietam, and covering the army's recrossing of the Potomac River into Virginia. He conducted the cavalry action of Kelly's Ford (March 17, 1863) with skill and success, where his 400 troopers captured 150 men and horses with a loss of only 14 men. In the Battle of Chancellorsville in May 1863, Lee's reconnaissance found that the Union Army's right flank was "in the air", which allowed the successful flanking attack by Maj. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson.  During the Battle of Gettysburg, his brigade fought unsuccessfully in the action at East Cavalry Field. J. E. B. Stuart's report singled out no officer in his command for praise except Fitz Lee, who he said was "one of the finest cavalry leaders on the continent, and richly [entitled] to promotion."

Following Gettysburg he fought under General Jubal Early in the Shenandoah Valley and was severely wounded during the Third Battle of Winchester. As the war neared an end and following the death of J. E. B. Stuart, he became General Robert E. Lee's Cavalry Corps commander.

After the war he spent many years as a farmer before entering politics, serving as the governor of Virginia from 1885 to 1889. Following this he served as consul general in Havana, Cuba from 1896 to 1898. When the Spanish-American War was imminent, he joined the U.S. Volunteer Army, entering as a major general in command of the VII Corps. He retired from the military in 1901.

He spent his postwar years in politics and farming.  Fitzhugh Lee died in Washington, DC on April 28, 1905.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $250.00 USD

General Roger Hansom CDV KIA Stones River, Tennessee

Offered is a great image of General Roger Hanson.  The three quarters image shows Hanson in his Confederate colonels uniform.  Written under the image is "Roger Hanson".  The back mark on the cdv is E.&H.T. Anthony, New York.  It is covered up by a 2 cent light blue Washington stamp.  

Hanson was born 27 August 1827 in Clark County, Kentucky. He fought during the Mexican war as a member of a Kentucky volunteer regiment. Returning to Kentucky he studied the law and began a practice. He was wounded in the leg while fighting a duel. The injury earned him the nickname "Bench Leg". He tried his hand at politics running unsuccessfully for a seat in the US Congress from Kentucky's 8th district in 1857. During the secession crisis he took a conservative stance, backing John Bell in the 1860 presidential election.

Although he favored neutrality when the war began Hanson saw Union troops moving into his native state as an invasion and joined the Kentucky State Guard. He was named colonel in the guard on 19 August 1861. On 3 September 1861 when the state guard was incorporated into the Confederate army Hanson was named colonel of the 2nd Kentucky. He was given command of the 1st Kentucky brigade. His penchant for discipline earned him the nickname "Old Flintlock". When Union troops occupied Lexington, Kentucky in September 1861 and the 1st Kentucky was forced to leave the state the brigade became known as the "Orphan Brigade". Hanson and his command were sent to help garrison Fort Donelson, Tennessee and were surrendered on 16 February 1862. Hanson would be held as a prisoner of war until he was exchanged on 27 August 1862 for Michael Corcoran, a colonel in the 69th New York who was captured at 1st Bull Run. Hanson was promoted to brigadier general on 13 December 1862. He commanded the 4th Kentucky brigade assigned to John C. Breckinridge's 1st division in William J. Hardee's Corps at Stones River. When the division was ordered by Braxton Bragg, the Army of Tennessee's commander, to make a suicidal assault on the Union lines on 2 January 1863 it is said that Hanson talked of going to army headquarters to kill Bragg for ordering such an assault. Instead he led his brigade in the assault and was mortally wounded. He died two days later on 4 January 1863.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $365.00 USD

General John Stuart Williams CDV

Offered is a nice image of General John Stuart Williiams.  Williams fought in the Mexican War as well as served as a General in the Confederacy.  Williams is wearing his Confederate general uniform in the image.  The back mark on the cdv is E. & H.T. Anthony, New York.

John Stuart Williams (July 10, 1818 – July 17, 1898) was a general in the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War and a postbellum Democratic U.S. Senator from Kentucky.

Early life and career

Born near Mount Sterling, Kentucky, Williams attended the common schools and graduated from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, in 1839. He studied law, was admitted to the bar in 1840, and commenced practice in Paris, Kentucky. He served in the Mexican-American War, first as a captain of an independent company attached to the 6th U.S. Infantry, and afterward as a colonel of the Fourth Regiment of the Kentucky Volunteers. He received the nickname "Cerro Gordo Williams" for his gallantry at that battle.

Williams was a member of the Kentucky House of Representatives in 1851 and 1853. He became known as a leading proponent of states rights. He was initially an anti-secessionist, but abhorred President Abraham Lincoln's policies and cast his lot with the Confederacy.

Civil War

With the outbreak of hostilities, Williams travelled to Prestonburg in early 1861 and was commissioned colonel of the 5th Kentucky Infantry. He served initially in the Eastern Theater, initially under Humphrey Marshall in southwestern Virginia. He participated in Marshall's ill-fated invasion of eastern Kentucky in 1862. He was promoted to brigadier general in late 1862 and assigned command of the Department of Southwestern Virginia.

He organized a brigade of cavalry and helped resist Ambrose Burnside's invasion of eastern Tennessee in the autumn of 1863, participating in the Battle of Blue Springs. He resigned that command and transferred to Georgia, assuming command of the Kentucky regiments in the cavalry of Joseph Wheeler in June 1864. He received a formal resolution of thanks from the Second Confederate Congress in the fall of 1864 for his actions at the Battle of Saltville. He surrendered in 1865.


Williams returned home following the war and went on to engage in agricultural pursuits, with his residence in Winchester, Kentucky.

He again became a member of the State House in 1873 and 1875. He ran unsuccessfully for Governor of Kentucky in 1875, and was a presidential elector on the Democratic ticket in 1876. He was elected to the United States Senate in 1879 and served from March 4, 1879 to March 3, 1885. He failed in his reelection bid and returned to his agricultural pursuits.

Williams became involved in land development in Florida in the late 1880s. Along with a partner, Louisville businessman Walter N. Haldeman, the publisher of the Louisville Courier-Journal; they founded the town of Naples, Florida.

He died in Mount Sterling in 1898 and was interred in Winchester Cemetery in Winchester

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $225.00 USD

Additional Pages
1  2   3   4   5   6   7  [Next Page]

Cash, Check, Money Order, and PayPal
We now accept PAYPAL for those of you who would like to use credit cards!  Please send to .
Your satisfaction and happiness is our major concern.  We will be glad to refund your purchase price if you are not happy with your purchase if returned within fifteen days of your receipt.
You can order through our web site or you can call 803-431-1798 for your order.  Sales are complete when we confirm items are still in stock.
We ship using the United States Post Office.
Featured Item
1915 Louisiana Division ar Richmond, VA Ribbon

Catalog update 10/05/2021
 Civil War Items
 Civil War Photographs
 Civil War Reference Books
 Grand Army of the Republic
 Indian War and Western
 Revolutionary War
 SOLD Items
 United Confederate Veteran
About Us!
Contact Information
Home Page
Your Account

Copyright © 2022 The Veteran’s Attic
Powered by Web-Cat Copyright © 1996-2022 GrayCat Systems