Offered is a great badge worn by members of the 124th Indiana Infantry at their 1913 reunion held in Lynn, Indiana.† The hanger is a large celluloid button with the likeness of Chaplain R.H. Sparks on it.† A red, white, and blue ribbon is attached to the hanger.† Written in gold type ink is "124th INDIANA INFANTRY† 37th Annual Reunion - Lynn, Indiana - Oct. 1 - 2, 1913".† The badge is made by the Whitehead & Hoag Company of Newark, New Jersey.††
124th Indiana Infantry Regimental History
One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Indiana Infantry. ó Cols., James Burgess, John M. Orr; Lieut. -Cols., John M. Orr, Henry H. Neff, Henry S. Gibson; Majs., Henry H. Neff, Henry S. Gibson, John Messick. This regiment was organized by the consolidation of three companies, raised in the 6th Congressional district for the 125th regiment, and seven companies raised in the 5th Congressional district, rendezvousing at Richmond. It was mustered in March 10, 1864, left the state on the 19th, proceeding to Nashville via Louisville, and was assigned to the division command by Gen. Hovey. On April 5, it proceeded to Athens, Tenn., where the left wing was detached and sent to Columbus. With its corps it marched toward Red Clay, Ga., being joined at Columbus by the left wing. It was in an engagement at Buzzard Roost ; in frequent skirmishes in the vicinity of Resaca and Kingston; in sharp fighting at Lost mountain, and was actively engaged at Kennesaw mountain. Col. Burgess resigned July 9, and Lieut. -Col. Orr was promoted colonel. The regiment was in a constant skirmish until Atlanta was reached; was in the battle of Atlanta on the 22nd; took part in the siege of Atlanta; fought at Jonesboro, and then remained in camp at Decatur until Oct. 4, when it accompanied the column in pursuit of Hood; had a sharp skirmish at the Oostanaula river; continued the pursuit as far as Gaylesville, Ala.; moved via Cedar bluffs and Dalton to Nashville, where it joined Gen. Thomas' command. It next moved for Pulaski, reaching there on the 15th, and proceeding thence to Columbia, where it was in a brisk skirmish for two days. On the march toward Franklin it was in a brisk fight at Spring Hill, where Co. C was captured. It was in the battle of Franklin, Nov. 30, repelling every assault, was next engaged in the battle of Nashville, and joined in pursuit of Hood as far as Columbia, whence it moved to Clifton, embarked for Cincinnati, moved thence to Washington, which was reached on Jan. 30, 1865; then sailed for Morehead City, N. C, which was reached Feb. 27. From New Berne, it marched towards Kinston, being engaged at Wise's Forks, and aiding in repulsing an assault. From Kinston it marched for Goldsboro, where a junction was effected with Sherman's army on March 21. It was stationed at Lenoir institute for a short time, moving for Greensboro May 3, thence to Charlotte, where it went into camp. It returned to Greensboro July 13, remained there until Aug. 31, when it was mustered out. The original strength was 958; gain by recruits 79; total, 1,037. Loss by death, 149; desertion, 37; unaccounted for 6.
Footnotes: Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 3