Civil War Photographs
General E. Kirby Smith CDV

Offered ia a nice CDV of General E. Kirby Smit.  General Smith is wearing his COnfederate generals uniform in the image.  The backmark on the image is E.&H.T. Anthony, New York.

Born in St. Augustine Florida, Edmund Kirby Smith was educated at the United States Military Academy, where he graduated in 1845.  After graduation, Smith served in the Mexican-American War with distinction, participating in the battles at Cerro Gordo and Contreras.  After the war, he served as a Professor of Mathematics at West Point before being sent west to participate in the Indian Campaigns.  Smith was in Texas with the 2nd Cavalry when war broke out in 1861.  At first Smith refused to surrender to Texas militia, but his loyalties changed once Florida seceded Smith resigned from the United States Army, and entered the Confederate army with the rank of lieutenant colonel.

Edmund Kirby Smith was quickly commissioned as a brigadier general within the Confederate army, and served at the First Battle of Manassas, where he was seriously injured.  After recovering, he was sent west to command the Army of East Tennessee.  Fighting alongside Braxton Bragg in his invasion of Kentucky, Smith led his army to victory at Richmond on August 30, 1862.  In early 1863, he was transferred to the Trans-Mississippi Department and tasked with helping halt the Union’s advance on the Mississippi River.  In early 1864, he successfully repulsed the Red River Campaign led by Nathaniel Banks, but as a result of his isolated location, could do little more.  He finally surrendered his troops, one of the last to do so, on May 26, 1865 to General E. R. S. Canby.

Price: $245.00 USD (Sale Pending)

General Richard "Dick" Ewell CDV

Offered is a nice CDV of General Richard S. "Dick" Ewell.  The image is a bust shot of General Ewell in his Confederate uniform.  The backmark is E..& H.T. Anthony, New York.

Richard Stoddert Ewell began his career after graduating 13th out of the 42 students of the American Military Academy’s class of 1840.  He was sent to serve in the west with the 1st US Dragoons, and served in the Mexican-American War.  During the war, he participated in the battles of Contreras and Churubusco, and received a promotion to captain for his gallantry.  On May 7, 1861, he resigned from the United States Army, and entered the Confederate Army.

Ewell participated in a minor skirmish before the outbreak of fighting, and received a commission as a brigadier general on June 17, 1861.  He commanded a brigade at the First Battle of Bull Run, but saw little combat.  On January 24, 1862, he was promoted to major general and served alongside General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson through the Valley Campaign in Virginia.  He protected Richmond during Union General George McClellan’s Peninsula Campaign, and commanded his troops successfully at the battles of Malvern Hill, Gaines’ Mill, the Seven Days Battles, and the Second Battle of Bull Run.  At the Battle of Groveton, Ewell was severely wounded in the leg, which was amputated below the knee.  After several months of recovery, Ewell returned to the army and participated in the Battle of Chancellorsville.  On May 23, 1863, Ewell was promoted to lieutenant general to replace General Jackson, who had been mortally wounded at Chancellorsville. 

Ewell then participated in the Battle of Gettysburg, but received criticism for his actions.  Although he met with great success during the early portions of the battle on July 1, 1863, he did not continue to assault Union positions, which provided Union troops the time they needed to reorganize and prepare defenses.  Although confusion exists as to why Ewell did not continue to attack the Union troops, many of the generals in Robert E. Lee’s army felt that Ewell actions helped lead to the Confederate defeat.  Following the Gettysburg Campaign, Ewell performed well during the Battle of the Wilderness, but again received criticism for his inaction and indecisiveness at the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House.  Following the battle, Ewell, who was suffering from health problems, was relieved of commanding his division, and sent to command the defenses of Richmond.  During the retreat from Richmond, Ewell and his men were surrounded and captured at Sayler’s Creek on April 6, 1865. He remained imprisoned at Fort Warren for the remainder of the war.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $195.00 USD

General Ed Johnson CDV

Offered is a nice image of General Edward A. Johnson.  General Johnson is in his Confederate generals uniform in the image.  There is no backmark on the image.

Edward "Allegheny" Johnson (April 16, 1816 – March 2, 1873) was a United States Army officer and Confederate general in the American Civil War. Highly rated by Robert E. Lee, he was made a divisional commander under Richard S. Ewell. On the first evening of the Battle of Gettysburg (July 1, 1863), Ewell missed his opportunity to attack Cemetery Hill, and Johnson opted against attacking Culp's Hill, for which he had a discretionary order, though he attempted this on the second and third days. Ewell and Johnson are blamed by many for the loss of this decisive battle.

Edward Johnson was born on the "Salisbury estate" near Midlothian in Chesterfield County, Virginia, but his family soon moved to Kentucky. He attended the United States Military Academy and graduated (after five years of study) in 1838. He was commissioned a brevet second lieutenant in the 6th U.S. Infantry and was promoted to first lieutenant in less than a year. He served in the Seminole Wars in Florida and then in the West. In the Mexican-American War, Johnson distinguished himself for action at Veracruz, Cerro Gordo, Churubusco, Molino del Rey, and Chapultepec. He received two brevet promotions, to captain and major, during the war and was awarded a ceremonial sword by the state of Virginia for his bravery. Johnson returned to duty on the Western frontier, serving in the Dakota Territory, California, Kansas, and on the Utah Expedition.

Civil War

After the outbreak of the Civil War, Johnson resigned his United States Army commission and received the rank of colonel in the 12th Georgia Infantry on July 2, 1861. The 12th Georgia fought in Gen. Robert E. Lee's first campaign in western Virginia, at the Battle of Greenbrier River. He was promoted to brigadier general on December 13, 1861, and received his nickname while commanding six infantry regiments in a battle on Allegheny Mountain. (This brigade-sized force was given the grandiose name "Army of the Northwest".)

Valley Campaign

In the winter of 1861–62, Johnson's army cooperated with Maj. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson in the early stages of Jackson's Valley Campaign. While Jackson marched his army into the mountains of the present-day Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia to conduct raids on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Johnson was tasked with protecting against a Union invasion of the "upper," more elevated areas of the Shenandoah Valley near Staunton, Virginia. His Army of the Northwest constructed a series of breastworks and trenches atop Shenandoah Mountain which they named simply Fort Edward Johnson. At the Battle of McDowell, Johnson was severely wounded with a bullet to the ankle, which took a long time to heal. He returned to Richmond for his convalescence and remained there for nearly a year, active in the social scene. Although Johnson was a heavy-set, rough-looking, rude character who was still a bachelor at age 47, he had the reputation of a ladies' man. Due to a wound he received in Mexico, he was afflicted with an eye that winked uncontrollably, causing many women to believe he was flirting with them. He caused enough attention that he rated mentions in the famous diary of Mary Chesnut.

Stonewall Division

In 1863, following the reorganization of the Army of Northern Virginia to compensate for the death of Stonewall Jackson after the Battle of Chancellorsville, Johnson was promoted to major general and given command of the "Stonewall Division" in Lt. Gen. Richard S. Ewell's Second Corps. Robert E. Lee had become dissatisfied with the previous commander at the battle and summoned Johnson back from medical leave to take the command.


By May 1863, Johnson had recovered enough to lead his division in the Gettysburg Campaign. He still needed a heavy hickory stick to move around on foot (and was known to use it against men he believed were shirking battle) and his men nicknamed him "Old Clubby". On the way north into Pennsylvania, Johnson defeated Union Maj. Gen. Robert H. Milroy at the Second Battle of Winchester. Johnson arrived at the Battle of Gettysburg on the evening of the first day, July 1, 1863. In a move that is still controversial, Ewell did not take advantage of Johnson's division and attack Cemetery Hill immediately that evening, when it might have been decisive. Johnson controversially declined to attack Culp's Hill that evening, for which he had a discretionary order. Instead, Johnson's division was the primary force that attacked Culp's Hill on the second and third days, suffering considerable casualties assaulting this impregnable position multiple times with no lasting success. In the fall of 1863, Johnson played a prominent role in the Mine Run Campaign.

Capture at Spotsylvania

In the Overland Campaign of 1864, Johnson fought well at the Battle of the Wilderness and when Lt. Gen. James Longstreet was seriously wounded there, Robert E. Lee considered Johnson as a replacement corps commander. During the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, on May 12, 1864, at the "Bloody Angle" section of the Confederate "Mule Shoe" defensive line, Johnson was captured along with Brig. Gen. George H. Steuart, and most of Johnson's division. He was imprisoned for months at Morris Island, off the coast of Charleston, South Carolina, and was exchanged on August 3, 1864. He was sent west to join Lt. Gen. John Bell Hood's Army of Tennessee, where he commanded a division in the corps of Lt. Gen. Stephen D. Lee. During the Franklin-Nashville Campaign, Johnson was captured again at the Battle of Nashville on December 16, 1864. He again spent months in a Union prisoner of war camp at Johnson's Island, in Lake Erie. At the end of the war, Johnson was moved to the Old Capitol Prison in Washington, D.C., where he was accused of being somehow complicit in the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Nothing came of the accusation and he was paroled on July 22, 1865.

Postbellum life

After the war, Johnson was a farmer in Virginia. He was active in Confederate veterans affairs, including early efforts to construct a monument to Robert E. Lee in Richmond. He died in Richmond and his body lay in state in the state capital until he was buried at Hollywood Cemetery.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $165.00 USD

General Milledge L. Bonham CDV - Confederate General & 70th Governor of South Carolina

Offered is a nice CDV of General Milledge L. Bonham, Confederate general and 70th Governor of South Carolina.  The image is nice.  The carte has clipped corners and the backmark is E.&H.T. Anthony, New York.

Milledge Luke Bonham (December 25, 1813 – August 27, 1890) was an American politician and Congressman who served as the 70th Governor of South Carolina from 1862 until 1864. He was a Confederate General during the American Civil War.

Early life and career

Milledge L. Bonham was born near Redbank (now Saluda), South Carolina, the son of Virginia native Capt. James Bonham and Sophie Smith Bonham, the niece of Capt. James Butler, who was the head of an illustrious South Carolina family. Milledge was a 1st cousin once removed to Andrew Pickens Butler. He attended private schools in the Edgefield District and at Abbeville. He graduated with honors from South Carolina College at Columbia in 1834. He served as Captain and adjutant general of the South Carolina Brigade in the Seminole War in Florida in 1836. That same year, his older brother James Butler Bonham perished at the Battle of the Alamo.

Bonham studied law and was admitted to the bar, in 1837, and commenced practice in Edgefield. During the Mexican-American War, he was lieutenant colonel (from March 1847) and colonel (from August 1847) of the 12th US Infantry Regiment. Two other members of his regiment, Major Maxcy Gregg and Captain Abner Monroe Perrin, would also become generals in the Civil War. After he returned home, Bonham was the major general of the South Carolina Militia. Entering politics, he served in the state house of representatives from 1840–1843. He married Ann Patience Griffin on November 13, 1845. Bonham was solicitor of the southern circuit of South Carolina from 1848–1857. He was elected as a Democrat to the Thirty-fifth United States Congress (succeeding his cousin, Preston Smith Brooks) and the Thirty-sixth United States Congress, and served from March 4, 1857, until his retirement on December 21, 1860.

Civil War

In early 1861, the Southern states that had seceded from the Union appointed special commissioners to travel to those other slaveholding Southern states that had yet to secede. Bonham served as the Commissioner from South Carolina to the Mississippi Secession Convention, and helped to persuade its members that they should also secede from the Union.

Bonham was appointed major general and commander of the Army of South Carolina by Gov. Francis W. Pickens in February 1861. He was appointed brigadier general in the Confederate Army on April 19, 1861, and commanded the First Brigade of the Confederate "Army of the Potomac" under P.G.T. Beauregard. He fought in the First Battle of Manassas, commanding his brigade as well as two artillery batteries and six companies of cavalry in the defense of Mitchell's Ford on Bull Run.

He resigned his commission January 27, 1862, to enter the Confederate Congress. On December 17, 1862, the South Carolina General Assembly elected Bonham as governor by secret ballot. He served until December 1864. During his term, the General Assembly enacted a prohibition against distilling in 1863 and also that year, it demanded that more land be used to grow food instead of cotton to increase the supply of food in the state. Bonham rejoined the Confederate Army as brigadier general of cavalry in February 1865, and was actively engaged in recruiting when the war ended.

Near Greenville, South Carolina a group of troops positioned there, because of worry of federal invasion from North Carolina, named their emplacement, Camp Bonham, in his honor.

Dates of Rank
  • Major General (South Carolina Militia), February 10, 1861
  • Brigadier General, April 23, 1861
  • Brigadier General, February 20, 1865
Postbellum activities

Bonham owned an insurance business in Edgefield and in Atlanta, Georgia, from 1865 to 1878. Returning to politics, Bonham was again a member of the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1865–1866 and a delegate to the Democratic National Convention in 1868. He was a member of the South Carolina taxpayers’ convention in 1871 and 1874. Retiring from public service, he resumed the practice of law in Edgefield and engaged in planting. He was appointed state railroad commissioner in 1878 and served until his death at White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. He was buried in Elmwood Cemetery in Columbia

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $165.00 USD

General Fitz Lee CDV

Offered is a nice bust up view of General Fitzhugh Lee in his Confederate uniform.  The backmark is E.&H.T. Anthony, New York.

The nephew of General Robert E. Lee, Fitzhugh Lee was born in Fairfax County, Virginia on November 19, 1835.  He was the son of Sydney Smith Lee, who would later become a captain in the Confederate States Navy. Although close to his famous uncle, Lee is remembered as one of the South's finest cavalry commanders. Lee attended the U. S. Military Academy at West Point, graduating in 1856.  After graduation, Lee fought as a cavalry officer in the Indian wars where he was severely injured. Following his recovery, he taught cavalry tactics at West Point and in 1861, when the Civil War began, he resigned his commission as 1st lieutenant in the U.S. Army.

He entered the Confederate Army as a lieutenant in the cavalry and served as a staff officer under General Richard S. Ewell. Within a short time he transferred to command of of the 1st Virginia Cavalry under Major General J.E.B. B. Stuart. At the age of twenty-seven, he was promoted to brigadier general on July 24, 1862.  As a cavalry brigade commander, Lee performed well in the Maryland Campaign, covering the Confederate infantry's withdrawal from South Mountain, delaying the Union Army advance to Sharpsburg, Maryland, before the Battle of Antietam, and covering the army's recrossing of the Potomac River into Virginia. He conducted the cavalry action of Kelly's Ford (March 17, 1863) with skill and success, where his 400 troopers captured 150 men and horses with a loss of only 14 men. In the Battle of Chancellorsville in May 1863, Lee's reconnaissance found that the Union Army's right flank was "in the air", which allowed the successful flanking attack by Maj. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson.  During the Battle of Gettysburg, his brigade fought unsuccessfully in the action at East Cavalry Field. J. E. B. Stuart's report singled out no officer in his command for praise except Fitz Lee, who he said was "one of the finest cavalry leaders on the continent, and richly [entitled] to promotion."

Following Gettysburg he fought under General Jubal Early in the Shenandoah Valley and was severely wounded during the Third Battle of Winchester. As the war neared an end and following the death of J. E. B. Stuart, he became General Robert E. Lee's Cavalry Corps commander.

After the war he spent many years as a farmer before entering politics, serving as the governor of Virginia from 1885 to 1889. Following this he served as consul general in Havana, Cuba from 1896 to 1898. When the Spanish-American War was imminent, he joined the U.S. Volunteer Army, entering as a major general in command of the VII Corps. He retired from the military in 1901.

He spent his postwar years in politics and farming.  Fitzhugh Lee died in Washington, DC on April 28, 1905.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $250.00 USD

Unidentified Confederate Officer CDV

A nice image of an unidentifed Confederate officer.  You can see at least two stars on his collar. There is no backmark.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $185.00 USD

General Roger Hansom CDV KIA Stones River, Tennessee

Offered is a great image of General Roger Hanson.  The three quarters image shows Hanson in his Confederate colonels uniform.  Written under the image is "Roger Hanson".  The back mark on the cdv is E.&H.T. Anthony, New York.  It is covered up by a 2 cent light blue Washington stamp.  

Hanson was born 27 August 1827 in Clark County, Kentucky. He fought during the Mexican war as a member of a Kentucky volunteer regiment. Returning to Kentucky he studied the law and began a practice. He was wounded in the leg while fighting a duel. The injury earned him the nickname "Bench Leg". He tried his hand at politics running unsuccessfully for a seat in the US Congress from Kentucky's 8th district in 1857. During the secession crisis he took a conservative stance, backing John Bell in the 1860 presidential election.

Although he favored neutrality when the war began Hanson saw Union troops moving into his native state as an invasion and joined the Kentucky State Guard. He was named colonel in the guard on 19 August 1861. On 3 September 1861 when the state guard was incorporated into the Confederate army Hanson was named colonel of the 2nd Kentucky. He was given command of the 1st Kentucky brigade. His penchant for discipline earned him the nickname "Old Flintlock". When Union troops occupied Lexington, Kentucky in September 1861 and the 1st Kentucky was forced to leave the state the brigade became known as the "Orphan Brigade". Hanson and his command were sent to help garrison Fort Donelson, Tennessee and were surrendered on 16 February 1862. Hanson would be held as a prisoner of war until he was exchanged on 27 August 1862 for Michael Corcoran, a colonel in the 69th New York who was captured at 1st Bull Run. Hanson was promoted to brigadier general on 13 December 1862. He commanded the 4th Kentucky brigade assigned to John C. Breckinridge's 1st division in William J. Hardee's Corps at Stones River. When the division was ordered by Braxton Bragg, the Army of Tennessee's commander, to make a suicidal assault on the Union lines on 2 January 1863 it is said that Hanson talked of going to army headquarters to kill Bragg for ordering such an assault. Instead he led his brigade in the assault and was mortally wounded. He died two days later on 4 January 1863.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $365.00 USD

"The Imperialized Confederate" Armed Officer CDV

A wonderful image of a Confederate officer smoking a cigar and holding a bottle of champaign or wine!  The officer is wearing a top hat.  He is also wearing a pistol in his holster on his side.  He is wearing high boots and has a jaunty air about him.  On the back of the image in ink is written "The Imperialized Confederate".

Price: $275.00 USD (Sale Pending)

General John Stuart Williams CDV

Offered is a nice image of General John Stuart Williiams.  Williams fought in the Mexican War as well as served as a General in the Confederacy.  Williams is wearing his Confederate general uniform in the image.  The back mark on the cdv is E. & H.T. Anthony, New York.

John Stuart Williams (July 10, 1818 – July 17, 1898) was a general in the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War and a postbellum Democratic U.S. Senator from Kentucky.

Early life and career

Born near Mount Sterling, Kentucky, Williams attended the common schools and graduated from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, in 1839. He studied law, was admitted to the bar in 1840, and commenced practice in Paris, Kentucky. He served in the Mexican-American War, first as a captain of an independent company attached to the 6th U.S. Infantry, and afterward as a colonel of the Fourth Regiment of the Kentucky Volunteers. He received the nickname "Cerro Gordo Williams" for his gallantry at that battle.

Williams was a member of the Kentucky House of Representatives in 1851 and 1853. He became known as a leading proponent of states rights. He was initially an anti-secessionist, but abhorred President Abraham Lincoln's policies and cast his lot with the Confederacy.

Civil War

With the outbreak of hostilities, Williams travelled to Prestonburg in early 1861 and was commissioned colonel of the 5th Kentucky Infantry. He served initially in the Eastern Theater, initially under Humphrey Marshall in southwestern Virginia. He participated in Marshall's ill-fated invasion of eastern Kentucky in 1862. He was promoted to brigadier general in late 1862 and assigned command of the Department of Southwestern Virginia.

He organized a brigade of cavalry and helped resist Ambrose Burnside's invasion of eastern Tennessee in the autumn of 1863, participating in the Battle of Blue Springs. He resigned that command and transferred to Georgia, assuming command of the Kentucky regiments in the cavalry of Joseph Wheeler in June 1864. He received a formal resolution of thanks from the Second Confederate Congress in the fall of 1864 for his actions at the Battle of Saltville. He surrendered in 1865.


Williams returned home following the war and went on to engage in agricultural pursuits, with his residence in Winchester, Kentucky.

He again became a member of the State House in 1873 and 1875. He ran unsuccessfully for Governor of Kentucky in 1875, and was a presidential elector on the Democratic ticket in 1876. He was elected to the United States Senate in 1879 and served from March 4, 1879 to March 3, 1885. He failed in his reelection bid and returned to his agricultural pursuits.

Williams became involved in land development in Florida in the late 1880s. Along with a partner, Louisville businessman Walter N. Haldeman, the publisher of the Louisville Courier-Journal; they founded the town of Naples, Florida.

He died in Mount Sterling in 1898 and was interred in Winchester Cemetery in Winchester

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $225.00 USD

Confederate 1st Lieutenant Unided CDV

A very nice, clean image of a Confederate officer with two stripes (1st Lieutenant) on his collar.  The image has been nicely colorized with the buttons tinted gold and colorization on his cheeks.  There is no backmark.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price Was: 285.00 Price: $235.00 USD

Major Flavel Barber - 3 Tennessee Infantry - CDV - KIA Resaca, GA.

A hard to find image of Major Flavel C. Barber of Company A, 3rd Tennessee Infantry, CSA.  This photograph was taken while he was Captain of Company A.  You can clearly see the three rank stripes on his uniform.  Barber was promoted to Major and was killed at the Battle of Resaca, Georgia.  The backmark is "J.H. Van Stavoren's Photographic Gallery of Fine Arts - Cor. Cherry & Union Sts., Nashville, Tenn.". 

We have had this image on our web site and it was misidentified as Captain James S. Walker.  A sharp eyed historian, Hank L. Hewgley of Hendersonville, Tennessee, contacted us and gave us undisputed proof of our mistake.  We are sorry for the misidentification but that is the identity on the image when we purchased it.  Read about Barber in his book "Holding the Line: The Third Tennessee Infantry, 1861 - 1864" edited by Robert H. Ferrell.
3rd Tennessee Infantry, C.S.A.

From Camp Trousdale, the 3rd Tennessee Infantry moved to Bowling Green, Kentucky, where they reported to General Simon B. Buckner on September 19, 1861. Colonel John C. Brown was senior Colonel and was given command of a brigade composed of the 3rd, 18th, 23rd and 24th Regiments of Tennessee Infantry, Jones' Battalion of Tennessee Cavalry, and Porter's Tennessee Battery. Here they suffered much sickness and endured hard drill under the direction of Colonel Brown. "The drill was very exacting and fatiguing, and in the process of hardening for service the numbers were reduced by sickness, permanent disability, and death."

"Colonel John C. Brown was a strict disciplinarian, full of the magnitude of the work ahead, and determined that his regiment, composed of picked material, should not be excelled." Brown's Brigade remained in and around Bowling Green until the following February.

On February 8, 1862, the 3rd Tennessee Infantry reached Fort Donelson, Tennessee, on the Cumberland River, with 750 men present. The 32nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment, which included four companies from Giles County, replaced the 23rd Tennessee Infantry as a part of Brown's Brigade. As Colonel Brown was in command of the brigade, Lt. Colonel Thomas M. Gordon commanded the 3rd Tennessee Infantry. Brown's Brigade was in the worst of the fighting of the Battle of Fort Donelson. The 3rd Tennessee Infantry lost 13 men killed and 56 wounded. Practically all of the rest of the regiment was surrendered on February 16, 1862. The officers were taken to Fort Warren, Massachusetts and Camp Chase, Ohio. The non-commissioned officers and privates were taken by steamboat to Camp Douglas, Illinois. Colonel John C. Brown was offered his freedom, but chose to suffer the same fate as his men, who spent the next seven months as prisoners of war in northern prisons.

The intense cold of Camp Douglas, Illinois, located on Lake Michigan near Chicago, took a heavy toll on the men of the 3rd Tennessee Infantry. A few managed to escape, but most suffered through the winter with insufficient clothing and food. At least a dozen men of the 3rd Tennessee Infantry died within the confines of Camp Douglas. Others of the regiment had died on the trip northward and officers suffered and died in other prison camps. Finally, after seven long months, the men and officers of the 3rd Tennessee Infantry were loaded on boats and taken down the Mississippi River to be paroled and exchanged.

The 3rd Tennessee Infantry was paroled at Vicksburg, Mississippi, on September 23, 1862. At this point they were no longer prisoners, but could not rejoin the Confederate Army until they were formally exchanged on November, 10, 1862. The 3rd Tennessee Infantry was reorganized for the third and final time at Jackson, Mississippi, on September 26, 1862, with 607 men present. Colonel John C. Brown had been promoted to Brigadier General and had been called to Chattanooga to join General Bragg's army. Calvin Harvey Walker was elected Colonel. Calvin J. Clack was elected Lieutenant Colonel. Thomas M. Tucker and Flavel C. Barber were elected Majors.

Other Regimental officers were:

  • Adjutant - David S. Martin
  • Quartermasters - J. L. Herron and John D. Flautt
  • Commissary - John S. Wilkes
  • Surgeons - James A. Bowers, Daniel F. Wright and C. C. Abernathy
  • Assistant Surgeons - J. T. S. Thompson, J. L. Lipford, J. Henderson, and Thomas H. Moss
  • Chaplain - Thomas Deavenport
  • Sergeant-Major - John Phillips
  • Quartermaster Sergeant - Lewis Amis
  • Commissary Sergeants - R. S. Wilkes and S. S. Craig
  • Ordnance Sergeant - B. S. Thomas
  • Hospital Stewart - Robert P. Jenkins

The companies were reorganized:

*Company A, formerly Company K - Captain Flavel C. Barber, 1st Lt. Thomas E. McCoy, 2nd Lt. Willis H. Jones, Junior 2nd Lt. James P. Bass, rank and file, 100 men, with recruits.

*Company B, formerly Company B - Captain Robert A. Mitchell, 1st Lt. J. M. Thompson, 2nd Lt. M. T. West, Junior 2nd Lt. W. T. Mitchell, rank and file 105 men, with recruits.

Company C, formerly Company H - Captain Robert T. Cooper, 1st Lt. W. J. Hardin, 2nd Lt. R. M. Plummer, Junior 2nd Lt. James A. Doyle, rank and file 75 men, with recruits.

Company D, formerly Company C. - Captain Walter S. Jennings, 1st Lt. W. C. Dunham, 2nd Lt. R. R. Williams, Junior 2nd Lt. Y. R. Watkins, rank and file 80 men, with recruits,

Company E, formerly Company F - Captain George W. Jones, 1st Lt. J. B. Murphy, 2nd Lt. B. G. Darden, Junior 2nd Lt. J. F. Matthews, rank and file 87 men, with recruits.

Company F, formerly Company E - Captain R. B. McCormick, 1st Lt. D. G. Stevenson, 2nd Lt. Thomas Thompson, Junior 2nd Lt. G. P. Straley, rank and file 77 men, with recruits.

*Company G, formerly Company A - Captain David Rhea, 1st Lt. David S. Martin, 2nd Lt. John C. Lester, Junior 2nd Lt. Wallace W. Rutledge, rank and file 97 men, with recruits.

*Company H, formerly Company G - Captain James S. Walker, 1st Lt. J. B. McCanless, 2nd Lt. J. A. Rastin, Junior 2nd Lt. Calvin J. Orr, rank and file 101 men, with recruits.

*Company I, formerly Company D - Captain D. G. Alexander, 1st Lt. J. P. Lock, 2nd Lt. J. B. Farley, Junior 2nd Lt. N. B. Rittenberry, rank and file 90 men, with recruits.

Company K, formerly Company I - Captain B. F. Mathews, 1st Lt. John Hildreth, 2nd Lt. Alonzo Lindsay, Junior 2nd Lt. J. H. Hagan, rank and file 87 men, with recruits.

The 3rd Tennessee Infantry was placed in Brigadier General John Gregg's Brigade and was involved in a sharp skirmish at Springdale, Mississippi, and took part in the Battle of Chickasaw Bayou on December 27-29, 1862. The brigade then moved to Port Hudson, Louisiana, and endured the Federal bombardment of Port Hudson.

On May 11, 1863, the 3rd Tennessee Infantry arrived at Jackson, Mississippi, and the following day moved to Raymond, Mississippi, and met the advance of Union General U. S. Grant's army in one of the fiercest and bloodiest engagements of the war. 548 men of the 3rd Tennessee Infantry fought at Raymond, suffering casualties of 32 killed, 76 wounded and 68 captured. Before the battle, Colonel Walker had stepped out in front of the regiment and said, "We will soon be engaged in a battle and before we begin I wish to say that I do not command you to go, but to follow this old bald head of mine..."

"After marching and countermarching, under command of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston, in the rear of Vicksburg, until its surrender on the 4th of July, 1863, the regiment found itself in the rifle-pits at Jackson, Miss., holding that point against the enemy from the 9th to the 16th of July, when it was transferred to the army in Georgia." "In the operations around Jackson, the regiment numbered 366 men, and suffered a total loss of 22 men, of whom 3 were killed, 6 wounded, and 13 captured."

On September 19th and 20, 1863, the 3rd Tennessee Infantry fought in the Battle of Chickamauga in north Georgia. 264 men of the 3rd Tennessee Infantry were engaged in that great Confederate victory. The regiment suffered 93 casualties, including 24 killed, 62 wounded and 7 captured.

On November 25, 1863, 195 men of the 3rd Tennessee Infantry were engaged in the Battle of Missionary Ridge, near Chattanooga. Casualties were light with 3 wounded and 1 captured.

The 3rd Tennessee Infantry went into winter camp in north Georgia and, on December 10, 1863, at Dalton, Georgia, rejoined General John C. Brown's Brigade. The following spring they participated in General Joseph E. Johnston's retreat to Atlanta and fought at Rocky Face Ridge, Sugar Creek Valley, Resaca, New Hope Church, Powder Springs Road, and finally at Jonesboro. Major Flavel C. Barber was killed at Resaca. Colonel Calvin Harvey Walker was killed at Powder Springs Road. Lt. Colonel Calvin J. Clack was killed at Jonesboro.

Following the fall of Atlanta, the 3rd Tennessee Infantry followed General John Bell Hood across northern Alabama and home to Tennessee. On November 18, 1864, they were at Columbia, Tennessee. The 3rd Tennessee Infantry reached Franklin late in the evening of November 30, too late to participate in the disasterous battle. From Franklin, The 3rd Tennessee Infantry was detached to General Nathan Bedford Forrest's command at Murfreesboro and did not participate in the Battle of Nashville. Forrest's command served as rear guard as the defeated Confederate Army of Tennessee retreated southward through Franklin, Columbia, and Pulaski toward the safety of the Tennessee River. A report dated December 21, 1864, indicated that the 3rd and 18th Regiments of Tennessee Infantry had been consolidated and had a total of 17 men present.

The remnant of the 3rd Tennessee Infantry moved with the Army of Tennessee into North Carolina where they were merged into the 4th Consolidated Tennessee Infantry on April 9, 1865. On April 26, 1865, General Joseph E. Johnston's Army of Tennessee was surrendered. They were paroled at Greensboro, North Carolina, on May 1, 1865.

Price: $850.00 USD (Sale Pending)

General J.E.B. Stuart CDV

A nice but somewhat faded image of General James Ewell Brown "Jeb" Stuart.  The image is of Stuart seated and holding his cavalry saber.  Stuart graduated the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1854 and served with the 1st U.S. Cavalry on the Kansas frontier.  He was aide to Colonel Robert E. Lee during the capture of John Brown at Harpers Ferry.  He entered his Confederate service as Colonel of the 1st Virginia Cavalry and became famous for his exploits in the Shenandoah valley.  He was promoted to brigadier general after 1st Manassas and promoted to major general in July 1862.  Stuart was mortally wounded on May 11, 1864 at Yellow Tavern. 
The image has a 3 cent tax revenue stamp on the back and the backmark is E.&H.T. Anthony, New York.  "Jeb Stewart" is written in pencil on the bottom of the photograph.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $250.00 USD

General John Hunt Morgan CDV

A veteran of the Mexican War, General John Hunt Morgan led the Lexington Rifles and joined General Simon Buckner's command when the Civil War started.  From this point until his death three years later his exploits made him one of the legendary figures of the Confederacy.  He was promoted colonel of th 2nd Kentucky Cavalry in April 1862 and brigadier general in December, 1862.  His series of raids into Tennessee, Kentucky, Indian, and Ohio brought him the thanks of the Confederate congress.  On his most famous raid through Ohio in 1863, he was captured.  He escaped and was placed in command of the Department of the Southwestern Virginia.  He bivouacked in Greeneville, Tennessee on the night of September 3, 1864, while in route to attack Federal forces in Knoxville.  He was surprised by Union Cavalry and killed.
The image is a bust up image and has some fadding.  The backmark is E.& H.T. Anthony, New York.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $265.00 USD

General Simon Buckner CDV

General Simon Bolivar Buckner was a Kentucky native who graduated West point in 1844.  He earned two brevet promitins during the war with Mexico and resigned from the U.S. Regular Army in 1855 to pursue his private interests.  At the outbreak of the war he was the adjutant general of the state of Kentucky. He accepted a commision in the Confederate Army in September 1861.  He was left by Generals Floyd and Pillow to consumate the surrender of Fort Donelson.  He was exchanged and led a division in Bragg's invasion of Kentucky and fought at Perryville.  He moved to Mobile, Alabama to fortify it against the Union navy.  He directed a corps at the battle of Chickamauga.  After that he was promoted to Lieutenant General and he moved to the Trans-Mississippi.  He was Kirby Smith's chief of staff.
  The image is slightly faded and is attached to the back of the carte.  The back of the image has a line around the edges and has "Buckner" written in pencil.   General Buckner is seated and he is holding his sword.

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $165.00 USD

General A.P. Hill - KIA - CDV

After graduating in 1847 from West Point, Hill fought in Mexico and against the Seminoles.  He resigned U.S. service in May 1861 and Entered Confederate service as Colonel of the 13th Virginia Infantry.  He was appointed brigadier general in February 1862 and major general in May 1862.  Hill was promoted lieuteneat general in May 1863.  He was killed April 2, 1865 at Petersburg.  The image has been rounded at the top and has an Anthony backmark.

Ambrose Powell Hill

Known for his red battle shirt and his hard-hitting attacks at the head of the famed Light Division, Ambrose P. Hill proved to be an example of the Peter principle.
A West Pointer (1847) and veteran artilleryman, he resigned as a first lieutenant on March 1, 1861, and joined the South, where his services included: colonel, 13th Virginia (spring 1861); brigadier general, CSA (February 26, 1862); commanding brigade, Longstreet's Division, Department of Northern Virginia (ca. February 26 - May 27, 1862); major general, CSA (May 26, 1862); commanding Light Division (in lst Corps from June 29 and 2nd Corps from July 27, 1862), Army of Northern Virginia (May 27, 1862 - May 2, 1863); commanding 2nd Corps, Army of Northern Virginia (May 2 and 6-30, 1863); lieutenant general, CSA (May 24, 1863); and commanding 3rd Corps, Army of Northern Virginia (May 30, 1863-May 7, 1864 and May 21, 1864-April 2, 1865).
In reserve at lst Bull Run, he fought at Yorktown and Williamsburg before being given command of a division. On the day he assumed command he directed the fight at Hanover Court House. He then took part in the Seven Days, distinguishing himself. After fighting at Cedar Mountain, 2nd Bull Run, and the capture of Harpers Ferry, he launched powerful counterattacks at the right moment at both Antietam and Fredericksburg. At Chancellorsville he was on Jackson's famed march around the Union right flank. When Jackson was wounded, Hill took command of the corps but was wounded carrying out his chief's orders to "press right in." At the end of the month he was given command of the new 3rd Corps, which he led to Gettysburg where, suffering from a now unidentifiable illness, he put in a lackluster performance.
He was responsible for the disaster at Bristoe Station that fall and, again ill, was virtually circumvented at the Wilderness when Lee in effect took over command of the corps. He relinquished command temporarily after the battle and missed Spotsylvania but returned for the North Anna and Cold Harbor. Taking part in the siege of Petersburg, he was again ill during part of the winter of 186465. With the lines around the city collapsing on April 2, 1865, he was shot and killed in an encounter with a stray group of federal soldiers.
Interestingly enough, both Stonewall Jackson and Lee called for Hill and his division in their dying delirium. It must have been the old Hill they were recalling. (Hassler, William W., A.P. Hill: Lee's Forgotten General and Schenck, Martin, Up Came Hill.- The Story of the Light Division and of its Leaders)
Source: "Who Was Who In The Civil War" by Stewart Sifakis

Shipping Weight: 1 lb
Price: $235.00 USD

Additional Pages
1  2   3  [Next Page]

Cash, Check, Money Order, and PayPal
We now accept PAYPAL for those of you who would like to use credit cards!  Please send to .
Your satisfaction and happiness is our major concern.  We will be glad to refund your purchase price if you are not happy with your purchase if returned within fifteen days of your receipt.
You can order through our web site or you can call 803-431-1798 for your order.  Sales are complete when we confirm items are still in stock.
We ship using the United States Post Office.
Featured Item

Catalog update 08/24/2018
 Civil War Items
 Civil War Photographs
 Civil War Reference Books
 Grand Army of the Republic
 Indian War and Western
 Mansfield, Ohio Civil War Show - May 2 - 3, 2015
 Mexican War
 Nashville (Franklin) Show, December 2011
 Revolutionary War
 SOLD Items
 Spanish American War
 United Confederate Veteran
 World War 1
About Us!
Contact Information
Home Page
Your Account

Copyright © 2018 The Veteran’s Attic
Powered by Web-Cat Copyright © 1996-2018 GrayCat Systems