Offered is a neat badge worn by members of the 21st Michigan Infantry at their 37th Annual reunion. The badge consists of a celluloid pin with the likeness of the membership badge of the Grand Army of the Republic on it. Attached to the right side is a red, white, and blue ribbon. Written on the ribbon is "37th Annual Reunion - 21st Michigan Infantry". The badge is made by the Whitehead & Hoag Company of Newark, New Jersey as noted by the stamping on the back of the pin. The ribbon is supported by a small piece of acid free tape to support the connection to the pin.
21st Michigan Infantry Regimental History
Twenty-first Michigan Infantry. — Cols., Ambrose A. Stevens, William H. McCreery; Lieut. -Cols., William L. Whipple, Morris B. Wells, Loomis K. Bishop; Majs., Isaac Hunting, Seymour Chase, Benton D. Fox. This regiment was organized at Ionia and was mustered in Sept. 4, 1862. It left the state Sept. 12, reported at Cincinnati, was sent to Louisville, entered upon the march through Kentucky, and was in the battle of Perryville, rendering efficient service. It reached Nashville Nov. 12, and joined the advance towards Murfreesboro, being engaged at Lavergne, Stewart's creek and at Stone's river, where it lost 17 killed, 85 wounded and 37 missing. It was with Sill's brigade, Sheridan's division, which blocked the enemy and saved the army. It remained on picket and guard duty at Murfreesboro until June, when it moved to Tullahoma, and was afterward stationed at Cowan, Anderson's station and Bridgeport. On Sept. 2, it advanced into Georgia, participated in the battle of Chickamauga, with the same brigade as at Stone's river, and was in the hottest of the fight after the breaking of the line by Longstreet. Sheridan's division was forced back, but in good order, and by a charge drove the enemy back and regained its position. Being unsupported, it was again driven back, the 21st losing 11 killed, 58 wounded, 35 missing and 3 prisoners. It was detached to form part of the engineer brigade and was engaged in that work during the engagement at Missionary ridge. It was stationed near Chattanooga until June, 1864, building a bridge and erecting storehouses. On June 11 it was ordered to Lookout mountain, engaging in building hospitals, running mills, and on picket duty. It was relieved from engineer duty in September and joined Rousseau's forces in pursuit of Forrest into Alabama. It was ordered to Chattanooga, and Dalton, Ga., in October, and received orders on Nov. 1 to join the 2nd brigade, 1st division, 14th army corps, for the march to the sea. It moved to Milledgeville, then toward Augusta, but changed its course and marched to Savannah, where the regiment was in the trenches on short rations and without covering until Dec. 18. After the evacuation it refitted for the Carolina campaign, proceeded to Sister's ferry, where it crossed the Savannah river Feb. 5, was in the engagement at Averasboro, and was heavily engaged at Bentonville, losing 92 officers and men killed and wounded out of 230. It reached Goldsboro on March 25, after a 64 days' march, with an issue of but 12 days' rations. It moved to Haywood, where it remained until Johnston's surrender and then marched to Richmond, 280 miles, in less than 8 days. It participated in the grand review at Washington and was mustered out June 8, 1865. Its original strength was 1,108: gain by recruits 369; total 1,477. Loss by death, 368.
Footnotes: Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 3
1897 Greenville, Michigan State Grand Army of the Republic Badge
Item #: 16054
Click image to enlarge
A very nice badge worn by Michigan Union veterans at the 1897 Department of Michigan Grand Army of the Republic Encampment held in Greenville, Michigan in 1897. A brass colored hanger has a red colored ribbon attached. Written in gold colored ink on the ribbon is "19th Annual Encampment MICHIGAN - Greenville - April 7 & 8, 1897". A celluloid drop is attached to the ribbon. On the front of the drop is a likeness of William Shakespeare, Michigan G.A.R. Department Commander. Written around the likeness is "Department Commander - WM. SHAKESPEARE - Michigan G.A.R. 1897". The back of the drop has a likeness of the Grand Army of the Republic membership badge. Written around the likeness is "Presented By The Citizens of Greenville.". The badge was made by the C.S. Cole & Co., Chicago, Illinois as noted on the back of the ribbon.
1907 Bay City, Michigan Grand Army of the Republic State Badge
Item #: 16024
Click image to enlarge
Offered is a nice badge worn by Michigan Union veterans at their state Grand Army of the Republic encampment held in Bay City in 1907. The hanger is a bronze colored medal with the Grand Army of the republic logo in the middle. Written around the G.A.R. logo is "Bay City - June 1907". A red ribbon is attached to the hanger. Attached to the bottom of the ribbon is a metal piece with "DELEGATE" written on it. A drop is attached to the metal piece below the ribbon. In the middle of the drop is a likeness of a man, probably the Commander of the Michigan Division of the Grand Army of the Republic. Written around the male likeness is "29th Annual Encampment - Dept. of Michigan". On the back of the drop is the state seal of Michigan.
Offered is a nice paper ribbon worn by members of the 6th Michigan Infantry & Heavy Artillery at their 1911 reunion held in Kalamazoo, Michigan. On the top of the ribbon is a likeness of Col. F.W. Curtenius. Written below the likeness of the Colonel is "38th Annual Reunion Sixth Michigan Volunteer Infantry - Heavy Artillery - Aug. 22, 1911 at Kalamazoo - Fifty years ago, August 20, 1861, we were mustered into the U.S. Army as the Sixth Michigan Volunteer Infantry in the City of Kalamazoo.". The paper ribbon is approximately 8 inches tall and 2 5/8 inches wide.
6th Michigan Michigan Volunteer Infantry
The 6th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment lost 2 officers and 76 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded and 6 officers and 498 enlisted men to disease during the Civil War. In July of 1863 it was converted to a heavy artillery regiment after the siege of Port Hudson.
Ordered to Fortress Monroe, Va. and attached to Butler’s New Orleans Expedition
Sailed with Gen. Butler’s Expedition against New Orleans, La., on Transport “Constitution”
Arrived at Ship Island, Miss. Attached to 2nd Brigade, Dept. of the Gulf
Operations against Forts St. Phillip and Jackson
Occupation of New Orleans. One of the first Regiments to occupy the city.
Expedition to New Orleans & Jackson Railroad
Moved to Baton Rouge, La.
Reconnaissance to Warrenton
Camp at Baton Rouge
Expedition to Camp Moore
Battle of Baton Rouge
Evacuation of Baton Rouge
August 22-December 6
Guard duty at Metaria Ridge
Attached to Sherman’s Division, Dept. of the Gulf
Expedition to Bayou Teche attached to 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 19th Army Corps, Dept. of the Gulf
Action with Steamer “Cotton”
Duty at Camp Parapet and Kenner
Expedition to Ponchatoula (1 company)
Capture of Ponchatoula
Skirmish at Ponchatoula
Manchac Pass, Amite River
Raid on Amite River & Jackson Railroad, destroying over $400,000 worth of property.
Moved to New Orleans, thence to Port Hudson
May 24-July 9
Siege of Port Hudson
May 27 & June 14
Assaults on Port Hudson
Surrender of Port Hudson
Regiment received thanks of Gen. Banks for gallant and efficient services during the siege and was by his orders converted into a Regiment of Heavy Artillery, to retain its Infantry number, and to have the organization pay and equipment prescribed by law for troops of the Artillery arms.
Order approved by Secretary of War
Regiment on garrison duty at Port Hudson, La. assigned to District of Port Hudson, La., Dept. of the Gulf
Action at Tunica Bayou, La.
Moved to Morganza, La. and duty there as Infantry attached to Bailey’s Engineer Brigade, Dept. of the Gulf
At Vicksburg, Miss.
Moved to mouth of White River, thence to St. Charles, Ark.
Ordered to Mobile Bay, Ala. and attached to U.S. Forces, Mobile Bay, Dept. of the Gulf
Companies A, B, D, G and K garrison at Fort Morgan
Companies C, E, F, H and I garrison at Fort Gaines
December 23 – January 31
Companies B, C, E, F and H detached on Granger’s Expedition to Mobile
Assigned to District Southern Alabama, Dept. of the Gulf
Companies A and K detached from Fort Morgan
March 31-April 8
Companies A and K – Siege of Spanish Fort
Companies A and K – Siege of Forts Huger and Tracy
Companies A and K garrison Fort Blakely
Companies A and K return to Fort Morgan.
April 10 – July 9
Company B detached from Fort Morgan to Navy Cove
Company E detached from Fort Gaines at Fort Powell
Regiment ordered to New Orleans, La. and duty there
Offered is a great badge worn by veterans of the 9th Michigan Infantry at many of their reunion. The hanger has an eagle standing over two crossed rifles. Attached to the hanger is a drop with the likeness of Major General George Thomas. Written on the badge is "Maj. Gen. Thomas - 1861 - 1865". Written on the back of the drop is "The Rock of Chickamauga - September 20, 1863 - With Peace Who Shall Set bounds To Our Nations Greatness". The badge was made by a Kalamazoo, Michigan badge maker as noted on the back of the hanger.
9th Michigan Infantry in the American Civil War
Ninth Michigan Infantry.— Cols., William W. Duffield, John G. Parkhurst; Lieut. -Cols., John G. Parkhurst, William Wilkinson; Majs., Dorus M. Fox, William Jenney, Jr. This regiment was organized at Fort Wayne, Detroit, in Sept., 1861, and was mustered in Oct. 15. It left the state Oct. 25, for Jeffersonville, Ind., moved to West Point, Ky., in November and engaged in building field works, roads and bridges. On Jan. 4, 1862, companies A, B, C, D, F and K were detailed to Elizabethtown, E and G following on the 17th, leaving I at West Point. Co. K was sent to Nolin. In the spring the regiment was attached to the 23d brigade, Army of the Cumberland, and moved to Nashville in March, where it joined in the pursuit of Morgan's forces in May, overtaking them at Lebanon and driving them from the town thoroughly demoralized. The regiment engaged in the movement into Tennessee, making a demonstration on Chattanooga, and was in the forced march over mountain roads near Winchester, capturing the enemy's pickets at Sweeden's cove, surprising and routing Adams' cavalry. It was in the engagement at Chattanooga in June and in July six companies were attacked at Murfreesboro by Forrest's cavalry. After a sharp struggle they were compelled to surrender, with a loss of 13 killed and 78 wounded. The wounded officers and men were at once paroled and were afterwards exchanged. The 9th's share in this was most gallant, and it was only when reduced to 137 men and officers, with no hope for reinforcements, and annihilation as the only alternative, that the command surrendered. The regiment was engaged at La Vergne in December and was detailed by Gen. Thomas for headquarters guard and provost duty for the 14th corps. At the battle of Stone's river it checked the rout of the right wing, which was being driven back by overwhelming numbers, and at a time when the panic was extending to the army. The flight of infantry, cavalry and artillery was stopped with bayonet and saber. Col. Parkhurst forcing 2,000 cavalry, 3,000 infantry and 11 pieces of artillery from the demoralized and fleeing troops and repulsing a charge by the enemy. The regiment was engaged on provost duty during the battles of Chickamauga and Missionary ridge, remaining on provost duty during November. In December 306 reenlisted as veterans and were furloughed home in Jan., 1864. They returned to Chattanooga in February with about 200 recruits and participated in the Georgia campaign, being in action at Rocky Face ridge, Resaca, Dallas, Kennesaw mountain, the Chattahoochee river, the siege of Atlanta and at Jonesboro. The regiment was on provost duty in Atlanta during its occupation and returned to Chattanooga Nov. 1 via Marietta. It remained on guard duty at the headquarters of the Army of the Cumberland and on picket duty until March 27, 1865, when headquarters were moved to Nashville, the regiment following for the same duty and for prison guard. It was mustered out at Nashville Sept. 15, 1865. Its original strength was 913: gain by recruits, 1,309; total, 2,222. Loss by death, 292.
Offered is a great badge worn by a veteran of the 7th Michigan Infantry at their 1927 reunion held in Monroe, Michigan. The 7th Michigan Infantry was a hard fighting unit in the Army of the Potomac with all the major battles the Army of the Potomac fought on their resume. This super badge has as a hanger a large celluloid pin back button (approximately 2 1/4 inches) with the likeness of Colonel G.W. La Pointe on it. Three ribbons are attached to the hanger. The first ribbon is red and has "7th Mich. Inf." written on it in gold colored ink. The second ribbon is white and has "Monroe, Mich." written on it in gold colored ink, and the third ribbon is blue with "June 14, 1927" written on it with gold colored ink. The badge was made by the St. Louis Button COmpany of St. Louis, Missouri as noted on the manufacturer's label located on the back of the pin back button.
George W. LaPointe
Residence Monroe County MI; 19 years old.
Enlisted on 6/19/1861 at Monroe, MI as a Private.
On 8/22/1861 he mustered into "D" Co. MI 7th Infantry
He was Mustered Out on 7/5/1865 at Jeffersonville, IN
He was listed as:
* Wounded 5/13/1864 Spotsylvania Court House, VA
* Sergt 11/2/1861
* 2nd Lieut 9/18/1862
* 1st Lieut 5/20/1863
* Capt 9/21/1863 (As of Co. C)
* Lt Colonel 10/12/1864
* Colonel 4/2/1865 by Brevet
7th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment
The 7th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment lost 11 officers and 197 enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 3 officers and 186 enlisted men by disease. The regiment is honored by a monument at Gettysburg.
Organized at Monroe, Mich. and mustered in under Colonel Ira Rufus Grosvenor
The 7th Michigan was commanded by Colonel Norman Hall. Colonel Hall took over the brigade as senior colonel when General Dana was wounded and was himself wounded. Lieutenant Colonel Baxter was wounded by this time, and Captain Charles J. Hunt took over the regiment.
Dana’s Brigade, following Gorman’s in column of attack, passed through the East Woods, crossed the Cornfield and the Hagerstown Pike, about 50 yards in rear of Gorman, and entered the West Woods, where its advance was checked about 40 yards east of this point.
Its left flank having been attacked and turned, by McLaws’ and Walker’s Divisions, it was compelled to retire.
A portion of the Brigade, with the 1st Minnesota Infantry, occupied a line near the Nicodemus house which it held for a time until, its flank having been again turned, it retired to the woods and fields east of the Hagerstown Pike.
Moved to Harper’s Ferry, W. Va. and duty there
October 30- November 17
Advance up the Loudon Valley and movement to Falmouth, Va.
Battle of Fredericksburg
The 7th Michigan was the first regiment to cross the Rappahannock River in pontoon boats under the fire of Confederate sharpshooters. It then drove the Confederate skirmishers from their cover, allowing a pontoon bridge to be constructed. Lieutenant Colonel Baxter was wounded in the attack.
Forlorn hope to cross the Rappahannock at Fredericksburg
The 7th Michigan was commanded at Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Amos Steele, Jr. while Colonel Hall commanded the brigade as senior colonel. Lieutenant Colonel Steele was killed on July 3rd, and Major Sylvanus W. Curtis took command. The 7th brought 165 men to the field, losing 21 killed and 44 wounded.
From the regimental monument near the Copse of Trees at Gettysburg:
Regiment held this position during the engagement of July 2nd and 3rd, 1863. On the evening of the 2nd changed front to the left, meeting and aiding in driving back the enemy. On the 3rd assisted in repulsing Pickett’s Charge, changing front to the right and assaulting the advancing force in flank.
Present for duty 14 officers 151 men. Total 165. Casualties, 2 officers 19 men killed; 3 officers 41 men wounded. Total 65.
Pursuit of Lee to Manassas Gap, Va.
August 20- September 12
On detached duty at New York City during draft disturbances