A nice ribbon worn by members of the 85th Indiana Infantry at their 1912 reunion held in Terre Haute, Indiana. The ribbon is light blue and has dark blue writing on it. Written on the ribbon is "85th Indiana Vol. Inf. - 50th Anniversary of "Muster In" - Terre Haute - Sept. 2 - 1862 - 1912". The ribbon is approximately 7 1/8 inches long and 1 5/8 inches wide.
Eighty-fifth Indiana Infantry. — Cols., John P. Baird, Alexander B. Crane; Lieut. -Cols., Alexander B. Crane, Jefferson E. Brant; Majs., Robert E. Craig, Jefferson E. Brant, William T. Crawford. This regiment was organized at Terre Haute and was mustered in Sept. 2, 1862. It proceeded to Covington, Ky., thence to Falmouth and later to Danville, where it remained until Feb., 1863. It was then ordered to Franklin, Tenn., and in March, while on a forage and scouting expedition with its brigade, met the enemy at Thompson's station. The brigade pushed him back several miles, when Forrest was encountered with five brigades in position behind stone fences, and after a 5 hours' battle, the Federal troops were surrounded and compelled to surrender. This was the 85th's first engagement and it fought gallantly, its loss being very heavy. After its capture, the regiment was marched to Columbia and Tullahoma, suffering much from want of food and by exposure. The men were sent to Libby prison, where they were confined until Mar. 31, when they were exchanged. The regiment was sent back to Franklin in June and was there engaged in skirmishing and fighting until Bragg's army fell back. It passed the summer, fall and winter at Murfreesboro, on railroad guard duty, and moved on April 20, 1864, to join the army for the Atlanta campaign. It was in the engagements at Resaca, Cassville, Dallas, Golgotha and Kolb's farm, and at Peachtree creek its brigade was the first to receive the charge of the enemy, though it held its position, its front being piled high with the enemy's dead and wounded. It took part in all the operations before Atlanta and was present at its fall. It moved in the Savannah campaign, was engaged in the siege and capture of that city, and then on Jan. 1, 1865, its division was the first to cross into South Carolina, driving the enemy's cavalry before it. It remained in the swamps near the Savannah river until February, when it joined the march through the Carolinas, and at Averasboro it was the leading regiment in the brigade's charge across an open field under terrific fire on the enemy's works, but the intrenchments were swept and many prisoners taken. It engaged in the destruction of railroads and also in the building of roads and bridges. At Bentonville, after moving 6 miles over roads obstructed by wagon trains, it deployed into line and aided in the success of the army. It moved under fire into four positions during the day and aided in constructing a line of works to cover the flank. It then moved to Goldsboro, Raleigh, Richmond and Washington, and was mustered out June 12, 1865. The recruits were transferred to the 33d Ind. and served with that organization until its muster-out, July 21 . The original strength of the regiment was 885; gain by recruits, 200; total, 1,085. Loss by death, 212; desertion, 52; unaccounted for, 34.
A neat badge worn by a veteran of the 124th Indiana Infantry at the 45th reunion held in Richmond, Indianan in 1921. The badge has a metal hanger with a place for a name. A white ribbon is suspended from the hanger. The white ribbon has a U.S. flag in blue ink on the ribbon. Also written in blue ink on the ribbon is "45th Annual Reunion - 124th Indiana Volunteer Infantry - Richmond, Indiana - September 7-8, 1921".
A great ribbon worn by members of the 10th Indiana Infantry at their nineteenth reunion held in Frankfort, Indiana in 1897. This neat ribbon has an eagle holding a Fourteenth Corps badge. The eagle is holding arrows and a laurel branch. Written in black ink is "1861 - 1897 - Nineteenth Annual Reunion od the 10th Ind. Regiment - Frankfort, Ind. Sept. 17th, 1897".
Tenth Indiana Infantry. — Cols., Joseph J. Reynolds, Mahlon D. Manson, William C. Kise, William B. Carroll, Marsh B. Taylor ; Lieut.-Cols., James R. M. Bryant, William C. Kise, Abram O. Miller, William B. Carroll, Marsh B. Taylor, Job H. Van Natta; Majs., Mahlon D. Manson, William C. Wilson, Abram O. Miller, Benjamin M. Gregory, Marsh B. Taylor, Job H. Van Natta, William B. Carroll. This regiment was organized at Indianapolis in April, 1861, for the three months' service, and was mustered in April 25. Col. Reynolds was commissioned brigadier-general of volunteers June 10, Maj. Manson was promoted colonel, and Capt. William C. Wilson, of Co. D, was made major. The regiment left the state June 19, and proceeded to Parkersburg, W. Va., thence to Buckhannon. It reached Rich mountain, July 10, and the next day charged the enemy's works, routing him and capturing his guns. It then moved to Beverly, where it remained in camp until July 24, and it was mustered out at Indianapolis, Aug. 2, 1861. Its original strength was 789; recruits, 1; total, 790. Loss by death, 6; desertion, 6. The regiment was reorganized at Indianapolis in August and Sept., 1861, for the three years' service, and was mustered in Sept. 18. It left the state on the 22nd for Louisville, thence to Bardstown, New Haven and Lebanon. It participated in the battle of Mill Springs, saving the day by its resistance to a desperate charge by Zollicoffer's forces. It joined Buell's army in its march to the Tennessee river, but reached Shiloh too late to take part in the battle. At the siege of Corinth, and until its evacuation, the regiment was present. It then joined in pursuit of Bragg through Kentucky, being engaged at the battle of Perryville. It was stationed in the country south of the Cumberland river and east of Nashville until the summer of 1863, and then accompanied the Army of the Cumberland to Chattanooga, participating in the battle of Chickamauga, where Col. Carroll was killed. A portion of the regiment reenlisted as veterans, at Chattanooga, Jan. 14, 1864, and joined Sherman's forces in the advance on Atlanta, being engaged at Dallas, New Hope Church and Kennesaw mountain. On Sept. 8, 1864, the veterans and recruits were transferred to the 58th regiment and the others were mustered out Sept. 19. The original strength of the regiment was 986. It gained by recruits, 197; reenlistments, 72; unassigned recruits, 15; total, 1,270. Its loss by death was 185; desertion, 40; unaccounted for, 11.
A neat badge with with a canteen drop! This badge was worn by Union veterans in the 8th Congressional Distric of Indiana at a 1907 veterans reunion. The hanger is a brass type metal. A red, white, and blue ribbon hangs from the hanger. Written in gold color ink is "The Reunion of the Veterans of the 8th Congressional District - Sept. 17, 1907 - Muncie, Ind.". A celluloid disk with metal backing is suspended from the ribbon. The likeness of a canteen is on the disk. The badge is made by the Whitehead & Hoag Company of Newark, New Jersey.
A great badge worn by Indiana Union veterans and members of the Grand Army of the Republic at their 1926 Department of Indiana State encampment held in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The hanger is a blue pin back with "G.A.R." in white on it. A red, white, and blue ribbon is attached and attached to the celluloid drop. The drop is in red, white, and blue. Written on it is "Official Souvenir - 47th Annual Encampment Dep't. of Indiana - G-A-R- & 5th Annual Encampment Dep't. of Indiana- V.F.W. - Fort Wayne - 1926". A Grand Army of the Republic memebership badge is on the bottom of the drop. In the middle of the drop is the stockade of Fort Wayne. The badge is made by the Whitehead & Hoag Company of Newark, New Jersey as noted on the back of the badge.
A nice badge worn by Indiana Union veterans and members of the Grand Army of the Republic at their 1913 Department of Indiana encampment held in Indianapolis, Indiana. The hanger has the likeness of a Grand Army of the Republic Membership badge surrounded by laurel leaves. Two crossed United States flags are under the membership badgge with the word "Delegate" written on it. Attached to the hanger is a round disk with "Maj. Gen. R.S.Foster" written on it and his likeness. Also Attached to the hanger by two long chains is the bottom drop with the likeness of the Indiana Soldiers and Sailors Monument on it. Written on the bottom drop is "Department of Indiana - May 1913 - Indianapolis". Crossed rifles are under the word "Indianapolis". The badgge was made by the Whitehead & Hoag Company of Newark, New Jersey as noted on the back of the bottom drop.