1 New York Dragoons at 1897 GAR National Encampment Badge
Item #: RX37710
Click image to enlarge
Offered is a nice badge worn by veterans of the 1st New York Dragoons at the 1897 Grand Army of the Republic National Encampment held at Buffalo, New York. The badge has a hanger bar with a yellow ribbon attached. In gold print approximately 5/8 of the way down the badge is two crossed sabers with 1st N.Y. Dragoons. written around it. Also written in black ink on the badge is "Grand Army of the Republic, Buffalo, New York, August 23 to 28, 1897 - Camp Gibbs. Headquarters, 1430 Main Street.". A metal fringe is attached to the bottom of the ribbon.
First New York Dragoons. — Cols., Alfred Gibbs, Thomas J. Thorp; Lieut.- Cols., Thomas J. Thorp, Rufus Scott; Majs., Rufus Scott, Jacob W. Knapp, Howard M. Smith. This regiment was organized in the summer of 1862 at Portage, as the 130th infantry and served as such at Suffolk, Va., and in Keyes' corps on the Peninsula. The companies of which it was composed were recruited in the counties of Allegany, Livingston and Wyoming. It was mustered into the U. S. service at Portage, Sept. 2, 1862, for three years. On July 28, 1863, it was transferred to the mounted service, and designated the 19th cavalry on Aug. 11, but this designation was changed on Sept. 10, to 1st regiment of dragoons. The regiment — ten companies — left the state on Sept. 6, 1862, and served as above noted. During its entire mounted service it was in the 1st cavalry division, Army of the Potomac. It was drilled in its new duties by Col. Gibbs, who belonged to the U. S. cavalry service, and as a regiment of dragoons made its first fight near Manassas Junction in Oct., 1863, sustaining a loss of 10 killed, wounded and missing. The regiment moved on Grant's campaign of 1864 with about 400 carbines and fought desperately in the Wilderness (at Todd's tavern), dismounted, sustaining a loss of 20 killed, 36 wounded and 35 missing, the heaviest loss of any cavalry regiment in any one action during the war. It took part with loss in Gen. Sheridan's raid to the James river in May; at Cold Harbor the tired troopers were aroused from their sleep on the ground and ordered into the breastworks, which they gallantly defended throughout the night, inspired by the music of their band. The losses at Cold Harbor aggregated 35 killed, wounded and missing. Sadly reduced in numbers, the gallant dragoons moved with Sheridan on the raid to Trevilian Station, where they were warmly engaged, their casualties in that action amounting to 16 killed, 61 wounded, and 8 missing. The regiment fought with Sheridan in the Shenandoah Valley and shared in the glories of the final Appomattox campaign. It gained a high reputation among brigade and division generals for discipline and efficiency. Under command of Col. Thorp, it was mustered out and discharged on June 30, 1865, at Cloud's mills, Va., having participated in about 65 battles and skirmishes. It lost 4 officers and 127 men killed and mortally wounded; 1 officer and 142 men by disease, accident, in prison, etc.; a total of 274. Its loss in killed and mortally wounded was exceeded by only five cavalry regiments in the service. Corp. Chester B. Bowen; Com.-Sergt. Andrew J. Lorish and Lieut. William M. Winegar were awarded medals of honor for gallantry in action.
Footnotes: Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 2
Col. Albert D. Shaw, Commander in Chief, G.A.R. Pin Back
Item #: RX31005
Click image to enlarge
A great pin back given to Grand Army of the Republic members in order to get them to vote for Albert D. Shaw for Commander in Chief of the G.A.R. A likeness of Shaw is in the middle of the pin back. Written around the image is "For Commander In Chief - Col. Albert D. Shaw, N.Y.". The pin back is approximately 1 3/4 inches wide. Commander Shaw was elected Commander in Chief of the Grand Army of the Republic in 1899.
A very nice, unusual pinback with a likeness of General U.S. Grant on a canteen. Written on the pinback is "1861 - 5 - 13th A.C.". The 13th A.C. is surrounded by blue and a gold color border. The pinback is approximately 1 1/4 inches wide. The pinback was manufactured by S. N. Meyer, Washington, DC as noted by the manufacturer sticker on the back of the pinback.
The XIII Corps, along with the XIV Corps, were both put into commission on October 24, 1862 with the passing of General Orders No. 168. These two corps were the first corps created in the Western Theater. While the XIV Corps constituted all forces under the command of William S. Rosecrans, the XIII Corps likewise constituted all the forces under Ulysses S. Grant.
Because of the corps' immense size and the fact that it was virtually synonymous with the Army of the Tennessee, Grant chose to subdivide the corps into the Right, Left and Center wings. In December 1862 it was officially divided into the XIII Corps, XV Corps, XVI Corps and XVII Corps. Grant remained in command of the Army of the Tennessee and John A. McClernand assumed command of the XIII Corps. Before the official order was passed along to all the wing commanders, William T. Sherman, commander of the Right Wing, embarked on an expedition against Vicksburg. Sherman's wing of the XIII Corps fought the Battle of Chickasaw Bayou on December 26–29. Although the official date which the Right Wing was designated the XV Corps was December 22, most of the reports regarding the battle at Chickasaw Bluffs still refer to the Union forces as part of the XIII Corps. No matter the designation, it was the first time many of the troops had been under fire.
Adding to the identity crisis the XIII Corps faced in its early years was John A. McClernand's expedition against Fort Hindman at Arkansas Post. McClernand was given his XIII Corps and Sherman's XV Corps (now officially using that designation). McClernand labeled these forces the Army of the Mississippi and renamed the XIII Corps "I Corps" and the XV Corps "II Corps". McClernand commanded the Army and placed General George W. Morgan in command of the I Corps (former XIII Corps). The divisions of Andrew J. Smith and Peter J. Osterhaus participated in the battle. Only Stephen Burbridge's brigade of Smith's division bore any heavy fighting.
With the impending campaign against Vicksburg, Grant took personal command of the operation. McClernand returned to corps command and the Army of the Mississippi was merged back into the Army of the Tennessee and the XIII Corps took on its official title. As the Vicksburg campaign opened the XIII Corps was composed of the 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th Divisions commanded respectively by Osterhaus, A. J. Smith, Alvin P. Hovey, Leonard F. Ross and Eugene A. Carr. Ross' division was stationed in Arkansas during the entire campaign and did not participate in any engagements with the rest of the corps. In July, this division (now led by Frederick Salomon) fought at the Battle of Helena as part of the District of Eastern Arkansas under Benjamin M. Prentiss.
The Battle of Port Gibson was fought by the XIII Corps, with the aid of a portion of the XVII Corps. McClernand did not bring the full force of the corps to bear at the Battle of Champion Hill but Hovey's division led the attack on the Confederate right. Immediately following the victory at Champion's Hill the Battle of Big Black River Bridge was again fought exclusively by the XIII Corps, Carr's division bearing the brunt of the fight.
When Grant initiated siege operations the XIII Corps took up a position on the Union left. During the assaults on Vicksburg the XIII Corps lost nearly 1,500 soldiers.
McClernand had been a long time thorn in Grant's side and on June 19, Grant found an opportunity to remove him from command. His replacement was Edward O. C. Ord, a friend of Grant's who had just recovered from a wound sustained in 1862. Ord led the corps throughout the rest of the siege. After Vicksburg fell, William T. Sherman led an expedition back to Jackson, Mississippi to clear the city of Confederates which had gathered there. Sherman took with him the XIII Corps and attached to it the division under Jacob G. Lauman from the XVI Corps. General Carr, who temporarily left the army due to sickness, had been replaced in division command by William P. Benton.
Texas and Louisiana
After the fall of Jackson the corps returned to Vicksburg and then transferred to the Department of the Gulf. The District of Eastern Arkansas had been detached from the Corps; AJ Smith had been reassigned to command a post in Tennessee; Osterhaus had been reassigned to command a division in the XV Corps; Hovey took leave of the army due to the death of his wife; two of the divisions in the field were consolidated under the command of Cadwallader C. Washburn; and General Herron's division was attached.
General Banks used the XIII Corps to conduct his coastal campaign against Texas during the fall of 1863, capturing Brownsville. By February 1864 corps headquarters were in Texas and General McClernand had returned to command.
The 1st and 2nd Divisions remained in Texas but Nathaniel P. Banks took with him the 3rd and 4th Divisions during the Red River Campaign. During the first part of the campaign the corps was commanded by Thomas E. G. Ransom, the 3rd Division by General Robert A. Cameron and the 4th Division by Colonel William J. Landram. The corps fought at the Battle of Mansfield. Ransom was wounded at Mansfield and was succeeded in command of the corps by General Cameron. A few weeks later Michael K. Lawler of the 1st Division in Texas became the official corps commander. General McClernand however assumed direct command of the two divisions fighting in Louisiana under Banks. McClernand was relieved of command due to ill health and Lawler himself personally commanded this detachment. Shortly after William P. Benton was assigned to the corps command but Lawler remained in command of the detachment in Louisiana. Lawler led the XIII Corps Detachment at the Battle of Mansura.
Department of Connecticut, 1882 G.A.R. National Encampment, Baltimore, Maryland Ribbon
Item #: 14278
Click image to enlarge
A hard to find ribbon worn by members of the Department of Connecticut at the 16th National Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic held in Baltimore, Maryland. The ribbon is dark blue and has gold writing. Written on the ribbon is "16th Annual Encampment, G.A.R. - Baltimore - 1882 - Department of Connecticut.". A Grand Army fo the Republic membership badge likeness is in the middle of the ribbon. The badge was made by the Torsch Brothers Manufacturing, Baltimore, Maryland as noted by the sticker on the back of the ribbon.
Dedication of the Massachusetts Monument at Antietam, Maryland 1898
Item #: RX22612
Click image to enlarge
A very hard to find badge worn by Massachusetts veterans at the Massachusetts Monument Dedication at Antietam, Maryland in 1898. The hanger has "Massachusetts" on it. A light ribbon is attached and a drop with the Massachusetts coat of arms on the front of the drop. On the back of the drop is written "Dedication Antietam Monument - Antietam, MD. - 1898.". The badge is approximately 3 1/16 inches by 1 3/4 inches. These Antietam monument badges are getting very hard to find!
1904 Maryland and Massachusetts Grand Army Club Badge at Boston GAR National Encampment
Item #: 14376
Click image to enlarge
A neat badge worn by members of the Maryland and Massachusetts Grand Army Club at the 1904 Grand Army of the Republic National Encampment held in Boston, Massachusetts. The badge consists of a "T" bar pin and a beige ribbon. Written on the ribbon in gold ink is "Massachusetts - Grand Army Club - Maryland - 1904". A badge which has the state seal of Massachusetts is in the middle of the badge. The badge was made by George A. Sanford, 23 Hawley Street, Boston, Massachusetts as noted by a sticker on the back of the badge. Please note there is a small hole to the right of the badge.
1920 Maryland at Indianapolis, Indiana National G.A.R. Badge
Item #: RX22610
Click image to enlarge
A wonderful and hard to find badge worn by Union veterans of Maryland at the 1920 National Grand Army of the Republic Encampment held in Indianapolis, Indiana. This great badge has a brass metal type hanger with a celluloid "MARYLAND" on it. Attached to the hanger is a white ribbon with "54th NATIONAL ENCAMPMENT - G.A.R. - Indianapolis, Ind. - Sept. 19 - 26, 1920" written in gold. Also attached to the white ribbon and brass hanger is a U.S. flag ribbon with a celluloid drop with the coat of arms of the state of Maryland. The badge is approximately 6 1/4 inches by 2 1/4 inches.
A neat, clean badge from the 1914 Grand Army of the Republic national encampment held in Detroit, Michigan in 1914. The brass type hanger has the explorers that found Detroit in a circle. Written on the hanger is "Detroit - 1914 - Aug. 31 - Sept. 5 - July 24, 1701". A car is in a circle under the word "Detroit". The drop has U.S flags and an eagle with a G.A.R. emblem in the center. Written on the drop is "Grand Army of the Republic. 1861 - Veteran - 1866. - GAR (entwined) - 48th National Encampment". A red, white and blue ribbon is attached to the back of the badge. Some of the sewing has come loose on this ribbon but everything is there.
Society of the Army of the Tennessee 1889 Toast Ribbon
Item #: 14068
Click image to enlarge
A highly unusual and interesting large ribbon measuring approximately 4 7/8 inches by 7 7/8 inches. This ribbon has a map from Chattanooga, Tennessee to Jonesboro, Georgia. Written on the ribbon is "TOASTS - 22nd Annual Reunion - Society of the Army of the Tennessee - 1889 - Cincinnati - September 25 & 26, 1889". Also written on the ribbon is "Introductory, The Campaign For Atlanta, Gen. W.T. Sherman. Chattanooga. Toast 1 - A rider came out of the darkness - That hung over mountain and tree, And shouted 'Boys up and be ready', For Sherman will march to the Sea. - Capt. S.H.M. Byers - Toast 2 - Resaca. - We stormed the wild hills of Resaca: God Bless those who fell on that day. - Gen. J.D. Cox - Toast 3 - Dallas - The enemy made a bold attack at Dallas, and were repulsed with terrible loss. Maj. A.M. Van Dyke - Toast 4 - Kenesaw -Then Kenesaw frowned in the glory, Frowned down on the flag of the free. Col. G.D. Munson - Toast 5 - Roswell - The crossing of the Chattahoochee by us will be studied as an example in the art of war. - Lt. Col. David H. Moore - Toast 6 - Atlanta - Still onward we pressed till our banners Swept out from Atlanta's grim walls. - Gen.G.M. Dodge - Toast 7 - Jonesboro - Atlanta is ours, and fairly won. - Gen. O.O. Howard.". I am sure these were placed at the dinner plates as a souviner of the society dinner held in 1889. This is a very nice one!
A wonderfully clean ribbon worn by a member of the Farragut Association. The ribbon is black and has gold printing on it. Written on the ribbon is "Farragut - 1862 - Association - Naval Veterans - Philadelphia - Organized 1865". A likeness of Admiral Farragut is in the center of the ribbon. The "1862" stands for the date Farragut opened the Mississippi River. I gues they forgot about Vicksburg! A great and hard to find Naval Veterans ribbon. The ribbon is approximately 6 9/16 inches by 2 inches.
This is an unique pin in the shape of a Union general. At the bottom of the badge is "Gen. Stedman". Griffin Alexander Stedman (1838-1864), gallant soldier and distinguished citizen, was 26 years old at the time of his death. Born in Hartford, he graduated from Trinity College in 1859. In 1861 he joined Connecticut's 14th Infantry Regiment, but almost immediately became a captain in the 5th Regiment Connecticut Volunteers. He participated in many battle actions, receiving promotions at intervals, until he was fatally wounded August 5, 1864, at Petersburg.
This badge was probably given out at the monument dedication in Hartford, Connecticut on October 4, 1900. A neat and unique badge.
This is one of the largest ribbons I have seen of General Sheridan. This ribbon is approximately 4 3/4 inches by 8 3/4 inches. This ribbon has a likeness of Sheridan in the middle and the likeness is surrounded by white. This ribbon is part of a three ribbon set and is very hard to find. The other two ribbons in the set are Sherman and Grant.
A nice badge worn by Union Ex Prisoners of War veterans at the 1902 Grand Army of the Republic held in Washington, D.C. The hanger has the Capitol with "Oct. 6th, 1902" written on it. The ribbon is yellow with "Natl. Assn. U. Ex. P of W." written in silver. The drop has the Union Ex-Prisoner of War logo in the middle and "GAR - 36th National Encampment" written on it. The ribbon has several small seperations on ir.