95 Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Ladder Type Badge
Item #: 14818
Click image to enlarge
Offered is a wonderful badge worn by members of the 95th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infanty.† This great badge was worn by a member of Company A of the 95th Pennsylvania Infantry.† The hanger has "CO. A" written on it.† The drop is in the shape of the Sixth Corps badge.† Written on the drop is "95 PA. VOL. INF.".††
Ninety-fifth Infantry. ó Cols., John M. Gosline, Gustavus W. Town, Thomas J. Town, John Harper ; Lieut.-Cols., Gustavus W. Town, Elisha Hall, Edward Carroll, J. G. C. MacFarlan, John Harper, John A. Ward; Majs., William B. Hubbs, David F. Foley, Thomas J. Town, Theodore H. McCalla, Francis J. Randall, Hugh O. Roberts, John Harper, John A. Ward, W. J. MacDonald. The 95th, many of whose members had belonged to the militia or had served with the three months' troops, was composed of men from Philadelphia and vicinity, excepting one company, which was recruited in Burlington county, N. J. It was mustered into the U. S. service from Aug. 23 to Oct. 16, 1861, at Philadelphia, for a three years' term, and went into camp at Hestonville. It left camp for Washington on Oct. 12 and was attached to Gen. Newton's brigade which was stationed at Fairfax seminary in an instruction camp. It engaged in the Peninsular campaign early in 1862 and suffered severe losses at Gaines' mill. It joined Pope's army after Bull Run and Chantilly; was engaged at Crampton's gap and Antietam ; participated in the battle of Fredericksburg, and went into winter quarters near White Oak Church, where it remained until the Chancellorsville action in the spring of 1863, in which it lost many men. It reached Gettysburg on July 2 and was ordered into action the same day. After the battle it camped at Warrenton and performed picket duty at New Baltimore and Culpeper, going into winter quarters near Hazel river. At the end of the year 245 members of the regiment reenlisted and were furloughed. On May 2 the veteran regiment broke camp, and as part of Upton's brigade, Russell's division, 6th corps, joined the Army of the Potomac for the Wilderness campaign. It took part in all the many engagements of the 6th corps until July 10, when it was ordered to Washington, where it was engaged at Fort Stevens, participating in the movements against Gen. Early which followed, and fighting at Fisher's hill and Cedar creek. On Oct. 15, 1864, the original members who had not reenlisted were ordered home for muster out and the regiment was reinforced by the addition of a battalion from the 96th. In December the 95th returned to Petersburg, where it spent the remainder of the winter. In the spring of 1865 it joined in the advance upon the city and after the evacuation, in the battle at Sailor's creek. It then moved to Danville, thence to Richmond and returned to Washington, where it was mustered out on July 17, 1865.
Footnotes: Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 1