A super badge worn by Massachusetts veterans at the 1898 Massachusetts monument dedication at Antietam battle field. The hanger and the drop are made of a bronze type metal. Written on the hanger is "MASSACHUSETTS". A off white ribbon is attached to the hanger. The drop is attached to the ribbon. On the drop is the coat of arms of the State of Massachusetts. Written on the back of the drop is "Dedication . Antietam. Monument. - Antietam. MD. 1898.". Photos not included.
A great badge worn by members of the 132nd Pennsylvania Infantry who attended the 1909 regimental reunion. The badge has a metal hanger with "Member" on it. A United States flag ribbon is attached to the hanger. A celluloid disk is attached to the ribbon as the hanger. On the celluloid disk is a likeness of the 132nd Pennsylvania monument at Antietam. Written around the statue likeness is "Antietam Memorial - 132nd PA. VOLS.". On the back of the celluloid disk is a likeness of a Second Corp badge. Written around the Second Corps likeness is "Annual Reunion 132nd PA. VOL. Regimental Ass'n - Scranton, PA, Sept. 17, 1909". The celluloid sisk is approximately 1 3/4 inches wide. The cmplete badge is approximately 4 5/8 inches tall and 2 inches wide.
132nd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment
The 132nd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment lost 3 officers and 70 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded and 40 enlisted men by disease during the Civil War. It is honored by a monument at Antietam.
Organized at Harrisburg for nine months service under Colonel Richard A Oakford, former colonel of the 15th Pennsylvania and Lieutenant Colonel Vincent M. Wilcox.
A hard to find badge worn by veterans of the 124 Pennsylvania Infantry at their monument dedication in 1904 at Antietam battle field. The badge has a celluloid hanger with the likeness of the monument on it. Written around the monument is "Dedication of Monument Antietam, Sept. 17, 1904". A white/beige ribbon is attached to the celluloid hanger. Written in gold colored ink on the ribbon is "20th Annual Reunion - 124th P.V. Association". A pair of U.S. flags are sewn on the middle of the ribbon. The badge was made by the Whitehead & Hoag Compnay of Newark, New Jersey as noted on the back of the celluloid hanger and the attached manufacturing label on the back of the ribbon. The celluloid hanger is approximately 1 3/4 inches wide, and the complete badge is approximately 6 7/8 inches by 2 3/8 inches wide.
124th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers
Seven companies of the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Regiment, A,C, E, F, G, I, and K, were recruited in Chester county, and three B, D,and H, in Delaware. They rendezvoused at Camp Curtin, near Harrisburg,but before an organization could be effected, they were ordered to Washington, and proceeded thither on the 12th of August, 1862, under command of the senior Captain, Joseph W. Hawley. Upon their arrival, they went into camp near Fort Albany, two miles south-east of the Capital, and on the 17th a regimental organization was effected, with the following field officers:
Joseph W. Hawley, of Chester county, Colonel
Simon Litzenberg, of Delaware county, Lieutenant Colonel
I. Law. Haldeman, of Delaware county, Major
On the 7th of September the regiment was ordered to Rockville, Maryland,where, upon its arrival, it was assigned to the First Brigade, First Division,of the Eleventh Corps. Having been but a little more than three weeks recruited, and most of this time having been given to change of camps requiring heavy details for fatigue duty, little attention had been given to drill, when, on the afternoon of the 9th, it was ordered upon the march to meet the enemy.
Crossing South Mountain on the evening of the 15th, it followed up the retreating foe to the banks of the Antietam Creek, where he was found strongly posted. As the regiment moved rapidly in advance of the trains, rations in haversack soon became exhausted. Fresh beef was delivered during the evening of the 16th, but scarcely had it been received when the regiment was ordered into line, and moved rapidly to the support of General Hooker, incommand of the right wing of the army.
" It was ordered to the front," says Major Haldeman in his official report,'" at seven A. M. On reaching the extreme edge of the woods on the east side of the corn-field, our line was formed and stationed in a position behind the fence. We were then ordered to advance, our right extending across the road, and beyond the grain-stacks. We were led in line into the corn-field about twenty paces, and ordered to halt, as we could not distinguish our own troops. We were then ordered to fall back to the edge of the corn-field, and takle position again behind the fence, which was done in good order. We were again ordered to advance, when the right, after proceeding about one hundred yards, received a raking fire fiom theenemy in the woods, which was responded to by repeated volleys from ourmen; but the fire from our left, and from a battery of the enemy on the right,compelled us again to fall back to the stacks. A battery was now pla ted onthe hill, between the wood and the corn-field, opposite the stacks, and the rightwing of the regiment was ordered to its support. The left wing followed upthe advance through the corn-field making successful charges upon the enemy,until it was also ordered to the support of the batteries. The enemy's gunswere silenced, and at three P. M., the regiment was ordered to the rear, whereit was directed by General Hancock to remain in readiness to support batteriesupon the right; but not being required, it bivouacked upon the field duringthe night."
The loss in this engagement was fifty in killed and wounded. Lieutenant Isaac Finch received a mortal wound from which he died on the 20th of October. Colonel Hawley was among the wounded.
On the day following the battle, the regiment was employed in burying thedead, and on the 19th started for Pleasant Valley, reaching it on the 20th,after a severe march. It was subsequently posted on Maryland Heights, butagain returned to its old camp at Pleasant Valley, where it was transferredto a brigade commanded by General Kane. On the 30th of October, Kane's Brigade was ordered to London Heights.
On the 8th of November a reconnoissance was made, up the valley, by a detachment of the regiment consisting of one hundred men, with two pieces of artillery, which returned at daylight on the following morning, bringing in abandoned stores of the enemy.In consequence of the alarm of the pickets on the mountain, on the night ofthe 16th, the regiment was ordered, with a portion of the brigade, to the support of a battery posted thereon, remaining until the 19th. The heavy guns which had been mounted on Maryland Heights, sufficiently commanding the position, the garrison was relieved and returned to camp. Whilst here, drill and discipline were studiously prosecuted.
On the 10th of December, upon the eve of the movement upon Fredericksburg, the Twelfth Corps, which had been held in the neighborhood of Harper's Ferry, was ordered forward, and by forced marches over almost impassable roads and swollen streams, in the bleakwintry weather, arrived across the Occoquan on the 15th. The fighting at Fredericksburg being over, it was ordered to re-cross the Occoquan on the 17th, the regiment returning to Fairfax Station.
On the 28th it was again put upon the march to meet Stuart's Cavalry, but failed to find it. On the 8th of January, the brigade made a reconnoissance to the vicinity of Wolf's RunShoals, returning without encountering opposition. On the 19th the brigadeagain broke camp and crossing the Occoquan, joined with the army in Burnside's second campaign, and after toiling painfully through the mud and underdrenching rains, the trains and artillery being moved only by the most vigorous efforts, it finally rested at Stafford Court House, the campaign havingbeen abandoned.
On the 21st of March, the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth, and the OneHundred and Twenty-fifth, which had been brigaded with it, were transferredto Geary's Division of the Twelfth Corps, General Kane being transferredwith them, and taking command of the brigade to which they were assigned.
At daylight of the 27th of April, the regiment, with eight days' rations,marched on the Chancellorsville campaign. Crossing the Rappahannock inrear of the Eleventh Corps, the Twelfth moved on to Germania Ford, whereits progress was impeded by the troops in advance, and did not reach theChancellor House until three P. M., of the 30th. Line of battle was immediately formed, the position of the regiment falling in the right wing of thecorps.
On the following morning, May 1st, the brigade advanced, and soonencountered the enemy's pickets, pushing them back into the woods beyond.Having attained a position considerably in advance of the main line, its safetywas much endangered by a flank movement of the enemy, and it was withdrawn to the original position of the previous evening, where, during thenight, it was busily employed in throwing up breast-works, being compelledfor want of intrenching tools to use bayonets and tin plates. During theearly part of the following day, the enemy shelled the line at intervals, and atthree P. M., the brigade was again ordered to advance, the regiment movingalong the Fredericksburg Plank Road, and forming line of battle in the woods,where the enemy, concealed from view, had fortified. Unable to move himfrom his position, the brigade fell back, and at five returned to the breastworks, reaching them just as the broken troops of the Eleventh Corps camepouring in from the extreme right. Geary's Division was at once faced undera heavy artillery fire of the enemy, to meet the threatened storm, and succeeded in holding its position until ten on the morning of the 3d, when theenemy, having outflanked it on the right, compelled it to fall back to a secondline of defense which had been taken up, more contracted, and easily held.
Onthe 6th the regiment re-crossed the river, and returned to its camp at Acquia.On the 9th, the term of service having expired, it was relieved from duty, andreturned to Harrisburg, where, on the 16th, it was mustered out of service.
Source: Bates, Samuel P. History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-65, Harrisburg, 1868-1871.
Organized at Harrisburg August, 1862. Left State for Washington, D.C., August 12. Camp near Fort Albany, Defences of Washington, till September 7. March to Rockville, Md., and attached to 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to October, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Army Corps, to January, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 12th Army Corps, to May, 1863.
Maryland Campaign September 7-24. Battle of Antietam, Md., September 16-17. Burying dead September 18. March to Pleasant Valley, Md., September 19-20. At Maryland Heights till October 30. At Loudon Heights till November 8. Reconnoissance up the Shenandoah Valley November 8-19. Near Harper's Ferry till December 10. March to Fredericksburg, Va., December 10-15; thence to Fairfax Station. Burnside's 2nd Campaign, "Mud March," January 20-24, 1863. At Stafford Court House till April 27. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5. Ordered to Harrisburg, Pa., and there mustered out May 16, 1863.
Regiment lost during service:
1 Officer and 17 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 36 Enlisted men by disease.
A great badge worn by veterans at the 1920 New York monument dedication at Antietam battlefield, Maryland. This very nice badge has a hanger that has "VETERAN" written on it. The hanger has a red ribbon attached to it and the drop. The drop is oval and has the New York monument in the middle of the drop. Written around the monument is "Dedication of New York State Monument - Antietam- Sept. 17, 1920". On the back of the drop is "Battle of Antietam - Sept. 17, 1862". The badge was made by the Bastian Brothers Company, Rochester, New York as noted underneath the above information in very small letters.
A great badge worn by veterans of the 124th Pennsylvania Infantry at their 1901 reunion. The hanger on this badge is a large celluloid button with the Dunkard Church, Antietam, Maryland on it. A likeness of the church is on the pinback and "Dunkard Church, Antietam, Maryland - Sept. 17, 1862." is written on the pinback. Three ribbons hang from the pinback, red, white, and blue. "Castle Rock" is written on the red ribbon. "17th Annual Reunion 124th Pennsylvania Volunteers" is written on the white ribbon and "Sept. 17, 1901" is written on the blue ribbon. The celluloid pinback is approximately 1 3/4 inches wide. The whole badge measures approximately 3 1/2 inches by 4 1/2 inches. The middle ribbon is supported by some tape.