Offered is a badge worn at the Mecklenburg Independence Monument dedication held in Charlotte, North Carolina in May, 1898.† The badge is two pieces and is made of a brass colored metal.† The hanger has "SOUVENIR" written on it.† The drop has an eagle at the top.† The likeness of the monument is in the middle of the badge.† Written around the monument likeness is "MECKLENBURG MONUMENT - MAY 1898 -† DEDICATION - CHARLOTTE, N.C.".A rope and tassels are on the top of the drop under the eagle.† Laurel leaves surround each side of the drop.
known as the Mecklenburg Resolves Monument, this tall granite obelisk
commemorates the signers of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence.
The obelisk sits atop a two-tier plinth resting on four steps. Bronze
plaques are set in the four sides of the bottom plinth, and a single
plaque rests on the front face of the top plinth.
Images: Historic postcard image of monument | Historic postcard image of courthouse and monument
monument is also known as the Mecklenburg Resolves Monument and the
Monument to the Signers of the First American Declaration of
Dedication date: May 20, 1898
Materials & Techniques: Granite, bronze
Sponsor: Mecklenburg Monument Association
Unveiling & Dedication: The
monument was erected and dedicated for the 123rd anniversary of the
Mecklenburg Declaration in 1898. A massive crowd assembled for the
dedication event that included a parade, speeches, music, and a supper.
Dr. Robert J. Brevard was the the chief marshall, and Confederate
veterans received a place of honor in the parade, with a group of
veterans lead by Julian S. Carr. The Gastonia Continental Guards dressed
in period uniforms, along with the Daughters of the Regiment, and the
Charlotte Drum Corps appeared wearing red jackets and white trousers.
Speeches were delivered from the grounds of the First Presbyterian
Church near the courthouse. Orations were delivered by the Hon. Adlai E.
Stevenson, chief orator, General J. H. Lane, F. B. McDowell (president
of the Monument Association), and J. P. Caldwell, among others. The
Mecklenburg Declaration was read by Captain A. F. Brevard of Lincoln
County, and the monument was unveiled by a number children who were
descendents of Revolutionary War patriots.
Subject notes: The
existence of the Mecklenburg Declaration has been questioned. The
Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence was reportedly signed on May 20,
1775, however the actual declaration has not been found and no
additional strong documentary evidence is available surrounding the time
of the event to corroborate its existence. Word of the battles at
Lexington and Concord in Massachusetts had already made its way to
Charlotte, and on May 31, 1775, a committee of citizens in Mecklenburg
County, the Mecklenburg County Committee of Safety, drafted the
resolutions of the Mecklenburg Resolves, most likely distinct from the
alleged May 20 Declaration. The Resolves had the same intent as the
alleged Declaration as a declaration of the suspension of English
authority over the colonies. In 1838, a document reported to be the
contents of the Mecklenburg Declaration was published.
Location: The monument is located in front of the historic Mecklenburg County Courthouse on East Trade Street. It faces roughly north.
monument sits in a paved stone plaza within the grounds of the
courthouse. The plaza is surrounded by low manicured hedges, mature
shade trees, and seasonal plantings.