A neat badge worn by members of the 63rd Illinois Volunteer Infantry.† The two piece badge is made in two pieces.† The top hanger has "CO. I' on it.† The bottom drop is in the shape of the 16th Corps badge.† Written on the drop is "63 Ill. VOL. INF.".††
Sixty-third Illinois Infantry. ó Cols., Francis Moro, Joseph B. McCown ; Lieut.-Cols., Joseph B. McCown, Henry Glaze, James Isaminger; Majs., Henry Glaze, Joseph K. Lemen, Joseph R. Stanford. This regiment was organized at Camp Dubois, Anna, Ill., in the month of Dec, 1861, and was mustered into the U. S. service, April 10, 1862. It was ordered to Cairo on April 27 and to Henderson, Ky., July 12. It operated in Tennessee until the spring of 1863, when it became a part of the forces in the Vicksburg campaign. On June 16 it participated in the fight and destruction of Richmond, La., and then returned to Young's point, where it remained until after the surrender, and went on post duty at Vicksburg July 5. It moved to Tennessee in November and participated in the battle of Missionary ridge. On Jan. 4, 1864, 272 men of the regiment reenlisted as veterans and on April 3 were ordered to Illinois on veteran furlough. Returing to the front they rejoined the command at Huntsville and the regiment did railroad guard duty till November, when it moved with Sherman on the march to the sea, participating in the attack on Ogeechee canal. On Jan. 19, 1865, it started on the trip through the Carolinas and participated in the battles and skirmishes of that famous campaign, losing 1 officer and 25 men by the explosion of an arsenal at Columbia, S. C, and 5 men at Little Lynch's creek, besides several men who were captured at different times by the enemy's cavalry. The regiment was in the battle of Bentonville, N. C, and three days later entered Goldsboro. It participated in the grand review at Washington and for several days camped 3 miles north of the city. On July 13, 1865, it was mustered out at Louisville, Ky., and left for Camp Butler, Ill., where it arrived three days later. Its original strength was 988 men and 272 arrived at Camp Butler on July 16, 1865.
Footnotes: Regimental history taken from "The Union Army" by Federal Publishing Company, 1908 - Volume 3