11th Illinois Cavalry Ladder/Shield type Badge
(Please wait, picture may take a few seconds to load)
(Please wait, picture may take a few seconds to load)
A neat badge worn by a veteran of Company L, 11th Illinois Volunteer Cavalry.  The hanger has "CO. L: written on it.  THe drop is in the shape of the Seventh Corps badge.  Written on the drop is "11" ILL. VOL. CAV.".  The pin is still attached but the pin hook is no longer attached.

11th Illinois Cavalry

Robert G. Ingersoll, of Peoria, and Basile D. Meeks, of Woodford county, obtained permission to raise a Regiment of Cavalry, and recruiting commenced in October 1861. The Regiment was recruited from the counties of Peoria, Fulton, Tazewell, Woodford, Marshall, Stark, Knox, Henderson and Warren.

Recruits commenced going into camp at Camp Lyon, Peoria, about Nov. 1, 1861. Twelve full companies were recruited and mustered into the United States service by Capt. C.B. Watson, of the Fourteenth U.S. Infantry, mustering officer, on Dec. 20, 1861, when they were mounted. They remained at Camp Lyon until Feb. 22, 1862, when they broke camp and marched to Benton Barracks, Mo., where they arrived March 3, and were shortly after armed with revolvers and sabres, one Battalion receiving carbines.

On March 25 the first Battalion, under Maj. Puterbaugh, embarked on a boat, and on the 26th the remainder of the Regiment followed.

The First Battalion landed at Crump's Landing, Tennessee River, April 1, and joined the forces of Gen. Lew. Wallace. The remainder of the Regiment landed the same day at Pittsburg Landing, and camped about two miles from there. On the 4th were out a short distance on a scout, and their first experience under fire was when the fighting commenced on the 6th. Early on the morning of the 6th the Regiment lost several men in killed and wounded; among the killed was First Lieut. Richard Burns, of Company F.

On the morning of the 7th Second Lieut. Aquilla J. Davis, of Company H, was wounded and the Regiment met with a severe loss in killed and wounded.

The Regiment was on duty between Pittsburg Landing and Corinth up to the capture of Corinth, and was in the celebrated raid in the rear of Corinth when the railroad track was torn up at Purdie.

It was in Tennessee and North Mississippi; was in the fight at Bolivar, Tenn., and met with a severe loss in a fight at Davis Bridge, on the Hatchie River.

It was also in the 3 days' fight at Corinth and Iuka, in Oct. 1862. The winter of '62 and '63 the Regiment was stationed at Jackson, Tenn., and met Forrest's advance at Lexington on Dec. 18, '62. In this engagement Col. R.G. Ingersoll, Maj. Kerr, Capt. Shepard, Capt. O'Harra, Lieut. Wagoner, Lieut. Cornell, and Lieut. Slater were captured. The loss in killed and wounded was severe and about 100 men were taken prisoners; the officers and men were paroled by Gen. Forrest the next day. The remainder of the Regiment was in the fight the next day, Dec. 19, at Jackson, the 20th at Humboldt, the 31st at Parker's Cross Roads, and followed Forrest to the Tennessee River at Clifton. The Regiment at this time was reduced to less than 300 effective men, and 200 horses, fit for service. It moved from Jackson to Grand Junction, Tenn., and was stationed along the Memphis and Charleston Railroad, making numerous raids into the country south, and again met with severe loss in killed, wounded and prisoners at Hudsonville, Miss., on June 21, '63, in an engagement with Gen. Chalmer's cavalry. A great many sick, disabled, and paroled, having been exchanged, returned to the Regiment, and it was in a little better condition when ordered, Sept. 17, '63, to Memphis. From there it embarked on boats and reached Vicksburg, Miss., Sept. 24. The next day moved to Messenger's Ford, on the Big Black River, and was engaged in scouting. In Oct. '63, took part in the expedition under Gen. McPherson to Canton, Miss.; had a great many skirmishes with the rebels on Big Black River. Took part in the march of Gen. Sherman to Meridian, Miss., in Feb. and March '64, in which it captured one piece of artillery, which was brought to Springfield, Ill., when the Regiment returned on Veteran furlough. Most of the Regiment re-enlisted as Veterans for three years, and were mustered in as such, Dec. 20, 1863, at Vicksburg, Miss., by Lieut. W.C.G. Hide, Fifty-third Ill. Infantry.

The Regiment left Vicksburg about the last of March for home, on a Veteran furlough of 30 days and again returned to Vicksburg, Miss.; were engaged in scouting through the spring and summer, destroyed the R.R. track north of Jackson, Miss., for a long distance and burned all bridges of any size. At this time, they were with Gen. Osburn, and were in the fight at Yazoo City, in July 1864, where they co-operated with Elliot's Marine Brigade to relieve Col. Coats, with the Eleventh Infantry, who was besieged in that city by the rebels under Gen. Wirt Adams. Late in the fall of '64 the Regiment left Vicksburg on boats, and landed at a point on the east bank of the river, 50 miles below. Marched first in an easterly direction, and by a circuitous route reached Natchez, where the Brigade embarked on boats, and landing a few miles above Baton Rouge, marched rapidly east and north. Engaged in a fight at Woodville, La., in which a Battery of 6 guns was captured and about 100 prisoners. Marched to Mississippi River with guns and prisoners, and from there to Natchez, then embarked on boats and landed at Vicksburg, and a short time afterward left in boats for Memphis, Tenn. Here the non-Veterans and most of the officers were mustered out. During the winter, the Regiment was absent in Arkansas on one trip of 20 days; on returning took part in raid from Memphis, January 1865, by way of Grand Junction south, destroying the R.R. and had a sharp fight at Egypt Station, losing several in killed and wounded; then continued south; reaching Vicksburg, returned by boat to Memphis, and soon moved out along the line of the Memphis and Charleston R.R. between Memphis and Grand Junction, with Headquarters at Lagrange, where it remained until ordered to Memphis to be mustered out. On September 30, 1865, was mustered out, and started for Springfield, Ill., October 2, where it was paid and discharged about October 20.

Company G was detached from the Regiment in the summer of 1862, and never rejoined them. Of the original officers of the Regiment who were mustered in at Camp Lyon, only six remained on the rolls when the Regiment was mustered out, as follows:

Col. Otto Funk, mustered in as Capt. Company A.
Lieut. Col. Aquilla J. Davis, mustered in as 2d Lieut. Company H.
Major Philip E. Elliot, mustered in as 1st Lieut. Company E.
Major Theophilus Schearer, mustered in as 2d Lieut. Company A.
Surgeon Robert F. Stratton, mustered in as Asst. Surgeon.
Capt. John H. McFarland, mustered in as 2d Lieut. Company K.
Capt. McFarland was sick when mustered out at Memphis, Tenn., was not able to be moved, and died two days after.

Item #: RX23012
Price: $450.00 USD

Cash, Check, Money Order, and PayPal
We now accept PAYPAL for those of you who would like to use credit cards!  Please send to vann@veteransattic.com .
Your satisfaction and happiness is our major concern.  We will be glad to refund your purchase price if you are not happy with your purchase if returned within fifteen days of your receipt.
You can order through our web site or you can call 803-431-1798 for your order.  Sales are complete when we confirm items are still in stock.
We ship using the United States Post Office.

Copyright © 2022 The Veteran’s Attic
Powered by Web-Cat Copyright © 1996-2022 GrayCat Systems