Captain Henry M. Neil, Ohio Light Artillery Pin Back
Item #: RX31002
Click on an image to enlarge
A pin back worn at the 1934 Grand Army of the republic, Department of Ohio Annual Encampment held in Columbus, Ohio.† The imagein the middle of the pin back is Captain henry M. Neil.† Captain Neil enlisted in January, 1862 in the 11th Ohio Light Artillery.† On April 28. 1863 he was transferred to the 22nd Ohio Light Artillery.† The pin back is approximately 1 1/2 inches wide.† Written around Captain Neil's image on the pin back is "68th Annual Encampment - Dept. of Ohio G.A.R. - Capt. Henry M. Neil - Columbus, Ohio June 17 - 21, 1934".
Eleventh Independent Battery Light Artillery. ó Capts., Archibald G. A. Constable, Frank C. Sands, Fletcher E. Armstrong; First Lieuts., Henry M. Neil, Cyrus Sears, William M. Wynne; Second Lieuts., William D. Linn, David A. Southworth, William K. Perrine, Amos B. Alger, William Bush, Milon D. Whaley, John A. McArthy. This battery was mustered into service Oct. 27, 1861, at St. Louis arsenal, Mo., by Lieut. George B. Sanford, 1st U. S. cavalry, to serve for three years, aggregating 151 men, rank and file. Its first actual service was with the New Madrid expedition, from which it brought in 2 Confederate 6-pounder guns as trophies of its success, and then it remained in camp until April 12, improving the time by drilling in field maneuvers. During the siege, and in the battles and skirmishes resulting in the evacuation of Corinth, the battery bore its full share. In September it went into action at Iuka, 102 strong, and during the engagement was charged three different times, suffering a loss of 2 officers and 55 men killed or wounded, 18 being killed on the field and others dying afterward. Not a man flinched and numbers were killed or wounded after the Confederates had passed the muzzles of the guns, some of them nobly dying in the attempt to spike their pieces. But, severely as the battery suffered in this engagement in the loss of men and equipments, it was in a short time again ready for the field and took a prominent part in the battle of Corinth, nobly maintaining its reputation for efficiency and gallantry and suffering a loss of 5 men wounded during the action. During the siege of Vicksburg it was held in reserve and participated in several expeditions to the rear, fighting as occasion required. On the day of the capitulation it was camped at Snyder's bluff on the Yazoo river. The battery was mustered out on Nov. 5, 1864.
Twenty-second Independent Battery Light Artillery. ó Capts., Henry M. Neil, Amos B. Alger; First Lieuts., George W. Taylor, Peter Cornell, Harvey Burdell, Silas H. Towler; Second Lieuts., Jacob M. Sharp, William West. A section of this battery was organized April 1, 1863, and placed on duty at Wheeling, W. Va., and in Holmes county, Ohio. This section was brought back to Camp Chase on June 19, 1863, the organization completed, and mustered into service on July 14, 1863, by Capt. J. L. Proctor of the 18th U. S. infantry, to serve for three years. The battery was sent to Parkersburg, W. Va., and thence to Wheeling. From Wheeling it moved to Hancock, Md., in support of Gen. Kelley, and then returned to Parkersburg, sending out detachments in pursuit of Gen. Morgan, then on his raid through Indiana and Ohio. After the capture of Morgan the battery returned to Camp Chase. On Aug. 12, 1863, it marched to Camp Nelson, Ky., and on Sept. 1 marched toward Cumberland gap. It arrived in front of the gap on Sept. 7, and took part in the operations which compelled its surrender. On Jan. 3, 1864, a detachment under command of Lieut. A. B. Alger, in company with a force of 350 cavalry, while on a reconnoissance at Jonesville, Va., was compelled to surrender after 12 hours' fighting, for want of ammunition. On Feb. 14, 1864, Lieut. George W. Taylor was murdered by a Confederate citizen, near Barboursville, Ky., and on June 21, 1864, Peter Cornell was killed by Confederate guerrillas, near Cumberland gap. On June 27, 1864, the battery was ordered to Knoxville, Tenn., and on July 5, 1865, it was ordered to Camp Chase, Ohio, where it was mustered out on the 13th, in accordance with orders from the war department.†